Quantcast

Can't adjust Shimano Altus front derailleur

WilliamK1974

Chimp
May 3, 2007
This is one of those ran-when-parked situations. My wife's GT Outpost Trail 18-spd bike is nine years old, and hasn't seen much action in the last three years or so. I'm trying to get it all sorted so we can get back out and in shape again.

Anyhow, I'm trying to adjust the front derailleur, which is labeled "Shimano Altus" on a piece of plastic under the adjustment screws. No other names or numbers that I can find. Wife swears it worked the last time she rode it, but I can't get it to do anything.

It's possible that it might have fallen over on its side, but I can't remember anything like that happening.

I've lubed everything with some good stuff, and it will move now. The trouble is that it won't do much in the way of shifting.

I've tried adjusting the cable tension and the adjusting screws. At one point, I was able to get it to shift from 1 to 2, but not to 3. Trouble was that the indicator was up near 3 when the gear was on 2.

While there is a competent repair shop nearby, I'd like to fix it myself if possible, even if it means it's upgrade time.

It's just got me flummoxed, and there doesn't seem to be much information about these out on the net. I'm almost ready to write it off as a bent part and upgrade.

What does a correctly functioning Altus front derailleur look like?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
-Bill

WilliamK1974

Chimp
May 3, 2007
Forgot to mention that the bike uses grip shifters, and they don't appear to be branded Shimano.

Thank you,
-Bill

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Go to parktool.com. It will have a detailed explanation on how to adjust your front derailleur (with pics).