Quantcast

Can't jump lips?

Rambo

Chimp
Apr 12, 2010
Whenever I try to jump a table top or a jump with a steep lip/takeoff,I get thrown off to the side and crash. I can do huge jumps were they rely on speed rather than the lip, or were the takeoff is gradual but I can never do jumps with a steep takeoff. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or how to fix this?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Learn how to bunny hop.
Use the same body english when coming off the lip.
Practice.
Find a skatepark/quarter pipe and learn how to flyout.
Practice.

Rambo

Chimp
Apr 12, 2010
Learn how to bunny hop.
Use the same body english when coming off the lip.
Practice.
Find a skatepark/quarter pipe and learn how to flyout.
Practice.
I know how to bunnyhop and I can bunnyhop almost a foot, but when I try to do it on a jump with a steep takeoff then I tweak it and the bike rotates a bit, in turn making me fall off the side.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
practice.

EVERYTIME you ride, hit every little bump/curb cut/grassy knoll/etc along the way and practice jumping.

Rambo

Chimp
Apr 12, 2010
practice.

EVERYTIME you ride, hit every little bump/curb cut/grassy knoll/etc along the way and practice jumping.
I already do that, and I can jump most things fairly well(if the takeoff is gradual). Again, the only time I run into problems is when the jump has a very steep takeoff(which a lot do). This also seems to happen if I try to jump a spine ramp.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
You're too stiff. Make a conscious effort to relax as you hit the lip. Keep your elbows and knees bent.

Focus especially hard on the arms.... keep 'em a little loose with elbows bent, and you'll fly straight. :thumb:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I know how to bunnyhop and I can bunnyhop almost a foot, but when I try to do it on a jump with a steep takeoff then I tweak it and the bike rotates a bit, in turn making me fall off the side.
check out these two threads:

Pull up or push down bars on transition of lip?http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=109278

Dirt jumping How To Question
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=704072

as for going off to the side.... check out the extreme version of that for a little perspective. sideways aint necessarily bad -- if you're centered over your cranks and let the front end of your bike move around freely, you can straighten out of a lot of stuff.

skip to 2:50 for the good part: http://vimeo.com/2986596

Last edited:

nick hop

Chimp
Aug 18, 2010
IMO jumps with steep lips means its made to shoot you way up. i would say practice "bronco hopping" (i think is the right term). bronco hopping is where you lift up the front tire, like your going to manual, then lift the back tire.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
BUNNYHOP!!!!!! The term is bunnyhop. Unless you are from someplace other the the USA, the term is bunnyhop.
ugh.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
BUNNYHOP!!!!!! The term is bunnyhop. Unless you are from someplace other the the USA, the term is bunnyhop.
ugh.
i don't know man, horses jump higher than rabbits. ;)

Last edited:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Whenever I try to jump a table top or a jump with a steep lip/takeoff,I get thrown off to the side and crash. I can do huge jumps were they rely on speed rather than the lip, or were the takeoff is gradual but I can never do jumps with a steep takeoff. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or how to fix this?
Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness. Energy. Block. Bad. It's like a carousel. You put the quarter in, you get on the horse, it goes up and down, and around. Circular, circle. Feel it. Go with the flow.

nick hop

Chimp
Aug 18, 2010
first off, i don't want to start a fight but. to ME

bunny hop is when both tires come up at the same time.

bronco hop is when the front tire comes up then the rear tire. AKA not at the same time.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
first off, i don't want to start a fight but. to ME

bunny hop is when both tires come up at the same time.

bronco hop is when the front tire comes up then the rear tire. AKA not at the same time.
Does that mean I get my own definitions of dirty sanchez and donkey punch?

I mean language is not about communicating with others but more what syllables sound like to ME right? :D

Dogeater's on it.

Last edited: