Quantcast

Can't pull cables tight enough :(

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Get that worthless husband of yours to help. A spare set of hands pulling on the cable while someone else tightens things up is a big help.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
MtnBikerChk said:
that's what we end up doing.

lux - I have that. you have to tighten it by hand first, don't you?
Not sure what you're asking. Way back when, when I was a shop monkey, I'd hold the brakes hard against the rim with one hand and then stick that tool on the cable and squeeze with the other. I'd then tighten the cable attachment nut.

Always was able to get 'm plenty tight that way.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
I think we're running the same brakes (Avid mechanicals?) and I always go through the following steps:

1) Make sure that the barrel adjusters on the brake levers are all the way in.

2) Check that the end-caps on the cable housing are pressed on all the way, and that they are completely inside the barrel adjuster.

3) Loosen the bolts that connect the caliper to the fork/frame adapter so that the caliper moves freely, then turn the pad adjusters in to center the caliper on the disc. It should be a tight fit.

4) Tighten the bolts that fasten the caliper to the adapter.

5) Pull the cable through and tighten the bolt that connects it to the caliper.

6) Loosen the pad adjusters.

7) Ride!

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Yep, that's how I did my old Hayes mechs.

Although I would add:

8) Squeeze the living piss outta the levers and hope to stop.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Assuming you are pulling the cables as tight as possible with pliers, the other reason for slack cables is the housing. For the cable system to work properly, the housing needs to be inflexible as possible so when you pull the cable, the housing does not bend or move.

I would take the cable out, and check each piece of housing including removing the ferrules. Look for any splits in the housing, and if so, I would replace it.

On the ends of housing, check if the outer plastic housing has pulled back. If the inner metal housing is sticking past the outer plastic, then the housing would flex. You can clip off the ends if necessary.

Finally, some full suspension designs, particularily GT I-drives and single pivots, the housing has to be routed correctly or when the rear triangle compresses (like when you sit on the bike), the rear cable tension slacks off. It is easy to miss that, especially if you do not test ride after installing new housing/cables.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Also, if you're talking about new cables and housing, you almost always need to adjust things pretty quickly for two reasons: Cables stretch and housing compresses (and settles into the ferrules) when new. I pre-stretch cables to minimize the effect, but even if you do that you'll still get some loosening at first.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
What "TonyHawk" said...

Use the barrel adjusters.

Turn them all the way in.

Get the cable as tight as you can.

Turn out the barrel adj. until you get required tension or indexing.

Mike