Quantcast

Can't remember who was asking for Monster Green Demo 8

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
wouldn't that adapter mess up your chainline pretty good if you're trying to run it on a 72/135 bike?

Back on topic- green and black looks way better, but complete with a monster sticker is kind of a bummer. Rocking pro replica stuff isn't my thing, but there are people out there who like it and so what? I haven't seen any threads of people bashing the Palmer or Peaty signature helmets or the Kyle Straight knee guards, or the Rennie and Kovarick 5.10s or the Lopes knee and shin guards (well, bashing the knee guards because they don't work well, not because they're associated with Lopes anyway)...

Why does Sam Hill stuff get such a rise out of people?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
wouldn't that adapter mess up your chainline pretty good if you're trying to run it on a 72/135 bike?
Interestingly enough, the demo is one bike where the answer is no.

The asymmetrical rearend actually positions the hub (and therefore cluster) out towards the drive side more, in the interests of removing the dish that the 135mm spaced wheel would usually have. This actually makes somewhat a mess of the chainline, and having owned multiple ASR bikes (demos/bighits/p3s), I noticed accelerated chainring wear as a result of it.

So long story short, it's one bike which would actually benefit from running an 83mm crankset.

they make adapters for this??
link please!
You just need 2x 5mm spindle spacers (one each side should do the trick). Alternatively if you're a geek, you can customize the sizes to fine tune your chainline and/or control how many BB spacers you need (I did this to maximise thread contact on the shimano non-drive cup which has very little).

Boxxer steerer offcuts are close enough to work (tested for 2 seasons without a hitch), just need to make sure they are cut dead straight. Alternatively, those raceface ones would be perfect.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
You just need 2x 5mm spindle spacers (one each side should do the trick). Alternatively if you're a geek, you can customize the sizes to fine tune your chainline and/or control how many BB spacers you need (I did this to maximise thread contact on the shimano non-drive cup which has very little).

Boxxer steerer offcuts are close enough to work (tested for 2 seasons without a hitch), just need to make sure they are cut dead straight. Alternatively, those raceface ones would be perfect.
hmm interesting. my buddy has a mini machine shop in his garage, so maybe i can play with different sizes to get the chainline right. it is a pain to do, but its a lot cheaper than new cranks

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
Slick colour. Very tempting to order that and build frame up rather than order a demo 8 I.

Guess its a good thing its not the same green as my Stumpjumper. Otherwise I would be spending quite a bit more money than I want to. ^^

Mudstud

Chimp
Nov 7, 2009
Winterthur, Switzerland
For everyones info team bikes have a 150mm rear end and 83mm BB!!!

Boom!
Surprise, surprise...

I guess there's more differences that might show when you put a team frame and a team replica frame (read: lookalike) on the scales - Specialized would not be the only company to sacrifice some durability for weight savings on the team bikes.

That's why I said: No matter what it looks like, you won't get the same as the team riders.

Any informations yet on whether the Monster sticker is under or over the clearcoat?

Big-Dave

Chimp
Oct 29, 2009
England!! Rule Britannia!!!
No idea...

Team frames i don't think are lighter.... Did not feel noticeably different... But i did not weigh it so can not say for sure.

BB is an inch lower on team frames...

HA is 63 when i measured it...

Top tube slightly longer.

For everyones info team bikes have a 150mm rear end and 83mm BB!!!

Boom!
To clarify, you mean the team bikes Sam+Brendan are on right? Not the green frame available to consumers this winter?

I've got the green frame on order and need to know what to plan for wheels. I'm wanting to do DeeMaxes but am a little put off by the whole dish issue (regardless of 135/150)

And to all the haters: since when is it bad to be a fan of someone who rides a bike faster than nearly anybody in the world? also, some (like me) might just dig the color more than the red.

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
That green is way more yellowy than what Sam was riding, not what I would call a replica.
I certainly am a Sam fan. I must say I have no desire to buy a demo though!
If I did want a demo then yes I probably would consider going for a green one, if I thought it looked better than the other offerings, nothing wrong with that. After all we all know that as soon as you buy your green bikes the team colours will probably change for the new season!

No idea on the BB and rear end here. I'd be happy with 73 and 135 because that's what my 222 is sporting!

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Has anyone been able to get their hands on the green/black frame? What's the story on its availability?

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
more pics please... is the #1 sam hill signature thing a sticker or in the paint? mine will be here with in the next few days :D
I think it's a sticker underneath the clearcoat. Can't remove it. I'll post some more pics when it's built up, currently have my white 40 and full cockpit set up, just gotta install the crankset/chainguide and she'll be ready! I'm rehabbing from knee surgery so I haven't been in a big rush. Hope to be riding in a few weeks tho.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
FYI, there are two different "green" frames available. The "Sam Hill Signature" frame, and the "Test Bike" green bike that dealers can order for customers to demo. The Sam Hill frame is a brighter green and has the Monster logo and number one emblem. The demo bike comes with a removable "test bike" decal.

Last edited:

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
the green is way nicer than the red. The red is not nice at all. Why dont they just sell a raw version anyway.

Id buy a demo, if it had a 150mm rear.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Anyone have any info on the availability of the green/black frames? My LBS has this frame on item watch, but it's unclear when it'll be readily available.

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
their are only 250 of them. i was lucky and got one of the first round, but im not sure if they will ever be readily available. i heard there are supposed to be more shipped in april and them some more in may...

Good luck!

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Anyone have any info on the availability of the green/black frames? My LBS has this frame on item watch, but it's unclear when it'll be readily available.
I talked to my Spesh rep the other day and he said they are completely sold out of the Green/Black Demo frames and won't be making anymore. The only Demos either frame or complete bike they currently have in stock are red demo frames in Small.