Quantcast

Cantilever Brake Levers Vs V-Brake Levers

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
What is the difference between Cantilever Brake Levers and V Brake Levers? - Will Cantilever levers work if I have Mech Disc brakes?
- Thanks

NastySid

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sweden
Counterlevers are the thing that preceeded v-brakes. They have a greater "ratio" than v-brake levers as they are made differently..

Counterlevers are not a good idea with v-brakes as they can lock up the brakes so hard you are sent over the handlebars doing a undersired superman :D

I'd suspect the same goes for disc brakes..

If you have separate shifters a new set of brakelevers should not set you back that much..

STIs on the other hand......

They will work allright... Probably a bit TOO well tho..

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by NastySid
Counterlevers are the thing that preceeded v-brakes. They have a greater "ratio" than v-brake levers as they are made differently..

In plain English (sorry Nasty!): V levers pull more cable with less force. V's produce power at the brake arm, canti's produce power at the lever.
Using V levers + canti's = no power what so ever.
V brakes + canti levers = touchy, spongey "on/off" feel. Because the lever pulls so much less cable, you will be forced to set up the pads very/too close to the rims.
With mech discs and canti levers, the setup may work but will feel like crap. Tons of spongey power but little/no modulation. Avid does make a mech disc designed to work with canti/road levers. That might be a good solution of you are trying to keep from having to destroy an old set of STI shifters.

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
Thanks for the info! I currently have integrated 8 speed pods - and am getting all the parts to make the switch to 9 speed. I need to purchase new levers and saw some sweet avid ultimate levers - however they are for cantilevers - I was hoping they might work .. but I suppose I have to go practical - and forget the cool factor :)

NastySid

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sweden
Originally posted by mcgowanc
Thanks for the info! I currently have integrated 8 speed pods - and am getting all the parts to make the switch to 9 speed. I need to purchase new levers and saw some sweet avid ultimate levers - however they are for cantilevers - I was hoping they might work .. but I suppose I have to go practical - and forget the cool factor :)
Get separate gear and brake levers..

You never know what good deal might hop up in the future :D

Great deal on a pair of hydros and then you're stuck with sti shifters :D

If you ever installed a pair of canti flavoured TY44 shifters you'd seen the bigass red thing saying "ABOSUTELY AND POSSETIVELY NO V-BRAKES ON THEESE!!!!"

AS for my (poor) english skills.. Check mah location :D

Besdies.. Time was into the small hours over here when i posted that :D