Quantcast

Canyon Proto Hi Pivot-Pinion........(THESIS BIKE)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Looks flexy!!!!
I'm saying I'd kill that little swingarm..
Interesting design don't really like it but curious to see how the concept actually works...function first cause looks are definitely second...
because the bike industry lizards hire more industrial designers than engineers

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
If the rear Triangle was an actual Triangle it would be way less flexy and probably look better as well. The front half looks great. Can anyone explain why they didn't take a few more links out of the chain?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Weird concept, I'd have assumed a high pivot gear box bike would be for Teh Enduroz, but this looks to be a lighter duty trailbike. Not sure why you'd need to reinvent the wheel for that.

If the rear Triangle was an actual Triangle it would be way less flexy and probably look better as well.
Esthetically bikes need a triangular rear triangle, they just do. It's one of the many cases where the design that looks better also generally performs better.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Weird concept, I'd have assumed a high pivot gear box bike would be for Teh Enduroz, but this looks to be a lighter duty trailbike. Not sure why you'd need to reinvent the wheel for that.

Esthetically bikes need a triangular rear triangle, they just do. It's one of the many cases where the design that looks better also generally performs better.

Sounds like it would be EURO made and have "cutom" GEO. 57 HTA here I come......
Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 9.59.52 AM.png

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
jesus christ where to start.

"braided tubes"

if this really is a thesis, it's getting an F.

I assume they are talking about something like this.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I assume they are talking about something like this.

or maybe some ID went overboard on the buzzword bingo.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
apparently its not just a rendering, but an actual mockup. i'm assuming 3d printed.

would be interesting to see how it changes after FEA, testing, and manufacturability analysis.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Wonder if he had a what happens when China takes over Taiwan clause in his thesis. Will carbon making start in Cambodia, VietNam or possibly South America? Has to be somewhere that has 0 environmental regulations and doesn't care that their people are born with 4 eyes....

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
back in the day, trimble was based out of berryville arkansas (only know this because i had to ship him a frame for warranty & call him several times to expedite the tedious process).

*edit* quick google - looks like the family was originally from AK. appears brent moved down south at some point where he set up shop.

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Seems that most people are missing the point which is the modular bb to seat tube unit, allowing for one common unit across all sizes.

The rest of the goofy integration stuff and the 'unique' styling is just there because no one would give a shit about the project if it didn't catch the eye amid all the other high pivot trail bike furore

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Nothing wrong with bonding structural parts together, would probably help ho have for than 2mm of bonded surface depth though.
oh it can certainly be done (atherton bikes, i've seen some lugged carbon / metal road frames too). just whether or not they'll do a good job.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Nothing wrong with bonding structural parts together, would probably help ho have for than 2mm of bonded surface depth though.
My take would be different. For composites, you generally want the bonds/junctions to be stronger than the structural parts in-between. So you'd be busting CF fibers in structural parts before inserts or junctions would tear out. This means the junction/bond is not the weakest point, if it were, it would be a much more catastrophic failure for the system. So if you can't ensure this, you don't bond the parts. The other way I suppose (I'm not an engineer) is to design the bonded junction so that it theoretically will meet or exceed your strength requirements, without ensuring it is "stronger" than the underlying structure...but then it seems like a lot more of a gamble that relies on perfect manufacturing processes and that you fully accounted for every possible scenario.

I've been deep into some of the Airbus stuff where they go into this in great detail, showing some of the failure and testing of composite components. Those bonds are hugely important and they don't give out before the underlying material fails. If the bond fails at the tail, the entire tail rips off. If the tail sees extreme loads and is damaged, better to at lease have "some" of a tail left rather than the entire thing ripped off.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
my point was it could be done well, or it could be done poorly.
Haha yep I get ya. Me and the lads were talking about bonded frames the other day and someone brought up the pictures (there are multiple) of Poles with separated headtubes. One of the other boys has a Pole (4th frame) and was like "oh yeah I don't think thats the problem hey"

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
on the other hand, some guys i knew when i was in college (that made me a quasi custom dh frame) also did some cool steel XC hardtails that had lugged carbon seat tubs and top tubes. one of the guys that got one is still riding it. this was probably around 2007ish