Quantcast

Cap forest ride. Last days of my canon G2

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Great pics, wish I was there :rant: :D

Here is a sweet little pocket camera, Dpreview highly recommended - great companion to a DSLR and works great in the forest lighting or for action shots:

The FinePix F30 offers a tantalizing glimpse of how very different compact cameras would be if all manufacturers put as much effort into developing sensor and processing technology as they do into designing and marketing pretty cameras with features no one ever asked for. Our tests show that the F30's sensor gives you at least a two-stop advantage over the best that conventional CCD technology can offer, and in many cases a three-stop advantage, with ISO 800 output that can rival some cameras at ISO 200.

Given that most 'average' casual snapshooters are likely to use their camera at (dimly lit) social occasions more than at any other time, this is a real, significant advantage; allowing flash-free photography without blur. More serious photographers will welcome a camera that brings the low light capabilities of a compact a step or two closer to those of most digital SLRs. It's also, surprisingly, significantly better than the F10, something I must admit I doubted would be true when I started this test.

To sum up, the F30 is far and away the best low light compact camera on the market today, bar none. It's the perfect 'social' camera for the DSLR owner who doesn't want to lug all his or her gear to parties, and it is - in expert hands - capable of superb results in any light. I would even go as far as to suggest - funds permitting - getting one for low light work even if you already own a camera you use for daylight shooting... So then, Highly Recommended unless you rarely shoot indoors or at night.
F30

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
Great pics, wish I was there :rant: :D

Here is a sweet little pocket camera, Dpreview highly recommended - great companion to a DSLR and works great in the forest lighting or for action shots:

F30
A good candidate for sure. I was pretty much set on Canons SD700 but now I have to look a little closer. The Canon isn't so great at high ISO's but it does have IS which would save a couple stops and is preferred to shooting higher ISO's. Tough choice. I'll probably end up going canon though as I've been super happy with all my canon purchases so far.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
A good candidate for sure. I was pretty much set on Canons SD700 but now I have to look a little closer. The Canon isn't so great at high ISO's but it does have IS which would save a couple stops and is preferred to shooting higher ISO's. Tough choice. I'll probably end up going canon though as I've been super happy with all my canon purchases so far.
Yeah Canon makes good stuff too - best in the genre for the conventional CCD PS cameras. The F30 is great at 800 and usable at 1600 whereas the SD700 great at 200 and usable at 400. The F30 has a IS mode too. I've had various brands, but my last two were the F10 and F30. They work great in low light and the battery last a very long time despite its compact size.

All the major online digital photo sites seem to think the F30 is a great option if you can't bring along your big guns - the CCD technology is really good. The people in the various photo forums like it a lot too. Amazon has lots of user reviews of the cameras too:

F30 and SD700

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Oh yeah, this is a good case that fits both cameras, I use it with my F30: "Canon PSC-55" $18 shipped from Amazon.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i'm just happy that i don't have to wade thru anymore Cruiser threads. Your lack of putting knobbies on real dirt made me wonder about you...:brow:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah the Z850 is pretty good - nice with all the preset if you don't really want to use manual mode. My uncle has the Z750 and its pretty decent and ultra small.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
a agree w/ him you need to shoot some dirt man...

pfffft weddings...:bonk:
haha if I hadn't have started shooting weddings, I'd still be slowly dying in corporate land :biggrin:

I ended up going with the canon and love it so far(10 shots) seems to be everything I need in a point and shoot.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
haha if I hadn't have started shooting weddings, I'd still be slowly dying in corporate land :biggrin:

I ended up going with the canon and love it so far(10 shots) seems to be everything I need in a point and shoot.
and what is wrong with that :brow:

I actually like my corporate land but it isnt your typical corporate setting.