Quantcast

Cap Forest ride report for 8/7/04

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Today we rode the same trail that psycho mike and I did on wednesday.... Except this time we rode first part of trail backwards from the first time...down(mostly) the 6miles to fall creek, then up the 2 mile death hill. I actually rode it all today!!! I havent riddn up without walking it in years. Then, at the top we dropped back down #8 to mima trailhead. One encounter with 10 horses went well..... they were nice enough to pull off just before the best decent in the forest.(in my opinion). Trail conditions are the best!! The rain has soaked in good and the top inch isnt slick snot like wednesday. It was ultra tacky in places. Some spots are thick in growth, and with the water, are leaning into the trail. But for the quality of trail its worth a few scratches and the trouble seeing the trail. We also came to a muddy pool. On the side of this pool were 2-3 very big tracks. Looked like couger because there were no claws in the prints. It could possibly be a bear, but it looked more cat like.....My first sighting of cougar tracks. I do know people whve seen actual cougs out there.....All in all i think this rout is my favorite XC ride in the woods right now. The access to shuttle it is very good, you get a ton of decending, and some still survavable climbing (even the death hill isnt so bad.....) I give it a few more months then it will be an unridable mud pit. THe lower trails close to horse camps are getting pretty sloppy. Hope august is dry, but with a few midweek rainy days here and there to knock down the sand and dust.

I have also been thinking of creating some maps in .jpg to post so i can show these trails. I think ill bring in my map and get it scanned at work. It would be much better for understanding the trails i talk about. THere once was a thought of doing a more in depth capital forest book. I'd make it show everything from pure XC loops to the harder DH shuttle trails with short descriptions on how to get there, Milage, difficulty, ect... but it would need to be used by people who know the cap layout a tad.. or have a full DNR map. My guide would be just a bunch of possible rides... no garuntees... could be a fun project...... Maybe my winter project....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Thats cool, the trails in Montesano were in similar condition - just wet enough to make them fast, not to slick.

I am trying to get some of the guys from Aberdeen up to the Cap next Sunday for a serious epic, anyone interested?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Blah blah blah :blah:

Great trails....great bikes....great time....Why don't you all just rub salt in my wounds :eviltongu ;)

PS: We went and visited Skookum today and he looks fabulous :dancing:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
you didnt have to read my posy. sorry if you got salted.....

Good to hear skooks is looking good.......

Midge.... got family out next sunday... so im planning to ride saturday...probably DH in canada!...hopefully