Quantcast

Cap forest rocked today!!! Plum smuggler alert... we rode bikes UPHILL!!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Psycho mike and I did a 15 mile XC/shuttle today. (it could be done without shuttle, but that woulda been like 25 miles! THATS CRAAAAZY!!) So this morning it was raining down in oly, but sunny up in the woods. Trails were just getting goopy in places from the previous nights rain, but overall the trails were perfect(aside from a little overgrowth) That side is all flowy horse trails, some of the best singletrack out there.... I know a good ride that has a ton of good decending with a few good climbs to make you work. This time I decided to go down the famous 2mile hill on GL#6 down to fall creek (those who have ridden GL6 know this hill). It was a ripper! Although a bunch of it is now a clear cut it was still a blast. Then we got down to the bottom and rode for 6 miles to the next intersection. This 6 miles was mostly up hill with some rolling terrain to let ya re-coop. I think next time we will rip down the 6 miles to the bad ass 2 mile hill. It will be suffering, but the gentle downgrade of the old railroad should be a good start. Thinking of maybe doing it again saturday..... only if i can find a shuttle partner though........

oly said:
...So this morning it was raining down in oly, but sunny up in the woods. Trails were just getting goopy in places from the previous nights rain, but overall the trails were perfect...
Great ride!!! Only a few pits of mud that formed from the light rain, the rest of the trail was either perfect tacky, or two wheel drifting slimey....in a good way!!! Had a blast. :thumb:

oly said:
...Then we got down to the bottom and rode for 6 miles to the next intersection. This 6 miles was mostly up hill with some rolling terrain to let ya re-coop. I think next time we will rip down the 6 miles to the bad ass 2 mile hill. ........
While the 6 mile climb was not bad, rolling through the hills, slowly working it way up in elevation, it would absolutley rip in the other direction...just a little overgrown right now. All in all a great ride, but keep an eye out for equestrians, and unicyclist. :D

PsychO! Mike

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I usually park at Mima Mounds and ride to number 10 (before Mima Falls) and connect with GL6 to #20 to Mima Porter 8 back around to #20 and finally take Mima Porter 8 back to Mima Mounds. Not sure how far it is but it's like 5 or 6 hours depending on how wet it is. My route is opposite of yours - I climb all the scary steep stuff. :eek:

Skooks has done these trails with me before - he just doesnt know their names.

I was free all day yesterday and could have gone for an XC epic. :monkey:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Serial Midget said:
I was free all day yesterday and could have gone for an XC epic. :monkey:
Any plans for saturday?? Im looking for a partner for a few hour ride in the forest. We could go all XC or do a 1/2 shuttle, or whatever. With my new bike im not so afraid to climb..... i make up for my lack of climbing in the decending.....

I do have to get home by early afternoon to clean up the pad, put the seats back in the car and get to the airport for a 9:00 family pickup.

Skooks, thanks for posting that pic..... thats cool. No wonder i break XC bikes.......

Ill watch this for more... lets ride!

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
oly said:
Psycho mike and I did a 15 mile XC/shuttle today. (it could be done without shuttle, but that woulda been like 25 miles! THATS CRAAAAZY!!) So this morning it was raining down in oly, but sunny up in the woods. Trails were just getting goopy in places from the previous nights rain, but overall the trails were perfect(aside from a little overgrowth) That side is all flowy horse trails, some of the best singletrack out there.... I know a good ride that has a ton of good decending with a few good climbs to make you work. This time I decided to go down the famous 2mile hill on GL#6 down to fall creek (those who have ridden GL6 know this hill). It was a ripper! Although a bunch of it is now a clear cut it was still a blast. Then we got down to the bottom and rode for 6 miles to the next intersection. This 6 miles was mostly up hill with some rolling terrain to let ya re-coop. I think next time we will rip down the 6 miles to the bad ass 2 mile hill. It will be suffering, but the gentle downgrade of the old railroad should be a good start. Thinking of maybe doing it again saturday..... only if i can find a shuttle partner though........
Hey man, the trail down to fall creek, are you talking about the section that starts right off the cline road and then goes down into the clear cut? The track is super narrow and has the lips on theside under the bush keeping you from screwing up or you're off your bike! ? That parts awesome, but the climb out back to cline at the bottom of Falls Park kills my friend and I, we're ****ty climbers haha.

My friend and I have recently discovered the joys of shuttling to the peak and riding the Mt Molly Loop down.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
oly said:
I do have to get home by early afternoon to clean up the pad, put the seats back in the car and get to the airport for a 9:00 family pickup.
Doh - just when I bitch. We are planning on riding the trails at Montesano on Saturday at 1 - meeting at the courthouse so we do not have to pay for parking. Mostly trail very, very little fire road. About 3 hours for the total ride, lotsd of climbing but all are short.

My favorite ride in the cap is from Wedekind to Mima Mounds horse camp - shuttle up to Wedekind and ride back down - you get all the best trails that you miss by doing the loop. Still a hell of a workout too. :thumb:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
derekpearson said:
glad you guys let me know :mumble:
Well we are riding again friday at tiger (as long as the threat of showers doesnt make everyone bail..) and again saturday. So, i just let ya know. Hit me up on messenger tomorrow.....