Quantcast

Capitlalizing on virtually all trends at the same time...wally world

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
because real fatbikes are overpriced pieces of dated technology, and for less than the cost of one fat tire you can get a whole fatbike?

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
26" Mongoose Beast Men's Oversized All Terrain Bike, Red:

Frame: Rigid steel, cruiser design frame
Gearing (# of speeds): single speed
Brakes: rear coaster brakes
Wheels: 26" wheels
Tires: supersized beach cruiser 4-1/4" knobby tires
Wheel set: alloy 4" wide wheel set
Kickstand: extra strong kickstand holds the Beast
Handlebars: low rise ATB handlebars are comfortable and stable
Seat: padded seat
Pedals: 3-piece crank and beach cruiser pedals
Maximum Weight Limit: 250 Pounds
Assembly required
Dimensions: 68"L x 23"W x 41"H
An extra strong kickstand?!?!? Count me in!!!!!

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Does the bike industry pitch this stuff to Walmart, or does Walmart have a group that follows trends and brings them in? I understand Mongoose could pass this along to Walmart but who's Thruster?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I honestly think this is a happy coincidence. Besides, it's marketed under Mongoose, who may actually have a person who has ridden a mountain bike once.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Does the bike industry pitch this stuff to Walmart, or does Walmart have a group that follows trends and brings them in? I understand Mongoose could pass this along to Walmart but who's Thruster?
walmart is the biggest retailer in the world (B&M at least). their purchasing power is insane. when they want something, they get it (at least that's how it was when i worked in the toy industry).

whether or not this was part of it, idk.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I'd rock one of those in a heartbeat, and I can get bikes at wholesale... Why not, it's a complete fatbike for $200! The materials look like they erred on the side of "heavy but functional", and even has aluminum rims. And it's about as expensive a4.5" tire and tube sold at retail.

It'll probably require a bit more maintenance than a higher-priced one (loose-ball bearings, etc), and definitely (DEFINITELY) make sure that it's put together correctly. Considering it comes in a box, you don't even have to worry about some 16yo with a multitool trying to put it together in the back of the Walmart.

Btw, Mongoose (and all mass-market Pacific bikes) are designed here in Madison, WI, so I'd be pretty certain that whoever the PM on that was, he/she has a pretty dedicated cycling background, and almost certainly has ridden fatbikes here throughout the winter.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Btw, Mongoose (and all mass-market Pacific bikes) are designed here in Madison, WI, so I'd be pretty certain that whoever the PM on that was, he/she has a pretty dedicated cycling background
i was going to guess drinking problem...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
6'2" I'm too tall, but at that price I'd buy one to leave at my parents for beach riding.