Quantcast

Capitol Forest This Fall!

Dave_Schuldt

Monkey
Jun 13, 2004
Seattle
Looking for people to ride with this fall. Most trails are wide and smooth with muddy sections. There’s some steeper stuff near the top. From what I’ve read fall is the best time of year for this place. I want to do the Mean Green 54 in early November before it gets super muddy. No motos and after 11/1 no horses. Did some rides down there last spring and really enjoyed it. It’s a giant tree farm so there’s clear cuts and 2nd growth forest. This will be great training for what I hope is a great winter, spring and summer of back country skiing. I live in Seattle and don’t drive. I have weekends off but may be able to do a weekday with a few days notice. Ready to start with 30 miles and work up to 54.
http://www.capitolforest.com/index.html

wardo

Chimp
Jan 1, 2005
Chehalis, WA
Dude: Stop at the intersection of Mima Road and Waddel Creek (the Y) at 8:00 AM on Saturdays. Usually between 8-9AM riders show up and start from there. Check the Capital City Bike Club website and they also hook up from there.

Rode both Saturday and Sunday at the forest. Sunday, we did the C line to 7000 road climb to the peak and then took Greenline to Trail 50 to Mima Porter to Fall creek then Margaret Mckinney. Awesome ride, trails are in great shape.

Have fun

Wardo

wardo

Chimp
Jan 1, 2005
Chehalis, WA
ummbikes said:
Wardo are there any trails you have found down here in glorious Lewis County?

I will check out the CCBC ride soon.

If you live in Centralia you are in luck. We have built a number of trails in the Cooks hill area, mostly state forest lands. Last spring they commericially thinned about 6 miles of our trails, and we built some alternatives until we can get back in after this hunting season is over. I belong to a loose association of riders called the OTHR club (Over The Hill Riders, or better known as an association of loose riders) that work on these trails over the winter. Due to the landowner concerns (mostly Simpson and Port Blakely) we agreed not to built North Shore stuff, but will incorporate natural landscape into some technical sections (I have a halfpipe design that will be awesome).

We don't do maps, and won't tell anyone about the trails unless they invest some labor into it. There are no signs, but the trails have a marking system that allows it to be ridden at night. You just have to understand it. If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll put you on the mailing list when we start working on the trails. Since they open the gates the city dudes like to drive the roads, drink and start to shoot at anything that move during rifle season. Bow and black powder hunters are much more into the real hunting, and we can ride and do trail work when they are in the woods. It's just the drunk rifle hunters that scare the **** out of us - thank god it is a short season.

For you, it's just a ride out of your driveway into the woods.

Drop me a line, and maybe we can sneak in a quick ride on the trail system in current operation - bring some gloves for trail work!

Wardo

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I cant wait for the rain to turn cap in to a mudhole. THats when you find out who the real riders are. It is hunting season out there for a while so be cautious. Lucky me its just stones throw from my back door.

Also, for those other trails mentioned down soth... I'd be down to sling some tools. Ummbikes can vouch for me if you guys meet up. Ive ridden cap for a good 6-7 years now, and as much as you love a place you also need alternatives. Rob and I go way back and at one time even were a part of a trail group in Cap.

And speaking of night rides,.... I do have you light rob....

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Oly? I have never heard of you...

I should try and get that light back some day. :monkey:

I took my oldest riding out at Cap last week and she was complaining about the dust. I didn't have the heart to tell her it she'll be praying for it in about two months. She smoked me up the hills, but I own her on the descents. :evil:

We should ride soon.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
ummbikes said:
Oly? I have never heard of you...

I should try and get that light back some day. :monkey:

I took my oldest riding out at Cap last week and she was complaining about the dust. I didn't have the heart to tell her it she'll be praying for it in about two months. She smoked me up the hills, but I own her on the descents. :evil:

We should ride soon.
Lets ride in october..... im pretty busy for a few more weeks, and want to try to get up to the big W.

wardo

Chimp
Jan 1, 2005
Chehalis, WA
I'm trying to post some Cooks Hill trail photos, but seem to be spazzing out. When I hit the photo icon, I get some sort of text box request. Whats the secret??

Wardo

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
wardo said:
I'm trying to post some Cooks Hill trail photos, but seem to be spazzing out. When I hit the photo icon, I get some sort of text box request. Whats the secret??

Wardo
We won't tell you unless you pm us maps and directions to your secret trails. :evil:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
wardo said:

Wardo
Once you hit Attach, i then has a bunch of boxxes to fill in by clicking "choose" then going to get a photo. Once you have selected the pics you want to post, dont forget to hit the upload button. Alot of people forget to do that.

Or go to a place like www.imageshack.us . The prob with RM hosted pics are the size restrictions are pretty small. If you use imageshack you can post an unlimited # of pics at a much larger size. They pretty much step you through the process. I prefer to link the direct image (one of the links they provide near the bottom. Just use this to post the link....
. They also give you links for thumbnails and other options. Also, they track your images so you can keep coming back to them if you need to repost somewhere else.....