Quantcast

Capitol Forest

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Saw some pictures in the PNW thread, Capitol Forest is my backyard. Anyone (Oly maybe?) Know if the ladders/drops still exist or if they can be found anywhere up there?

For you dirt jumpers a friend and I wandered into a hidden dirt jump "park" in the patch of woods of where Yelm Highway and Ruddel intersect. Too burly for me though :)

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
thesacrifice said:
Saw some pictures in the PNW thread, Capitol Forest is my backyard. Anyone (Oly maybe?) Know if the ladders/drops still exist or if they can be found anywhere up there?

For you dirt jumpers a friend and I wandered into a hidden dirt jump "park" in the patch of woods of where Yelm Highway and Ruddel intersect. Too burly for me though :)
The ladder stuff that existed off trail 30 was sketch. The first time it was built it was ok. Then some XC guy fell and cracked a bone in his neck. The search and rescue crew im sure told the DNR and real soon the stunts/jumps were sorta removed. Someone new has been in there trying to make new stunts, but for your saftey i would avoid them. Poorly put together...worse than before. My tip: If you build anything make sure its not off the most popular trail in the forest for Moto and MTB. Get a DNR map and explore a bit. Find a nice hillside in a area of closed roads... theres plenty of them. Keep it on the DL and youll be fine. Get caught building and youll get a big ol slap from the DNR. Not sure how big, but thats a working forest. Dont ever pound nails into trees to make stunts..... that makes me think of some place with "falls" in the name....saw those stunts and first thing i thought was "theres a dead logger". Ok rant over.

The other place you mention is called amtrak (the train station is close by.) I would guess that is also a short lived place. On the other sidfe of the trees you can see a new development going in. Maybe it will be spared as a buffer to the older development where the jups are. I hear its real neglected these days. Kinda sandy if i remember.

I also heard there are some stunts in the trees over by the sand pit on martin way... by the animal shelter. nothing big, but something to play on, plus the ledge drop looks fun.

Maybe ill see ya on one of the sunday shuttles. I should start doing those again in the upcoming month. Ill be on a black turner 5 spot ot silver black DHR.

D

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Cool man, I ride a 03 Red Enduro, no health insurance so I'm all padded out. I'm pretty new to this stuff and having a blast. Already looking foward to next year and the more freeride oriented bike I'll be buying then.

The sandpit? Across the street from the Shelter?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
thesacrifice said:
Cool man, I ride a 03 Red Enduro, no health insurance so I'm all padded out. I'm pretty new to this stuff and having a blast. Already looking foward to next year and the more freeride oriented bike I'll be buying then.

The sandpit? Across the street from the Shelter?
Do you know OLY/Lacey very well? On martin way from lacey into east oly... There is the thurston county animal shelter.... in that same area is a mound with trees on it... one sides being taken as fill dirt or something..... up there ive heard there are small stunts....

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Yea, I thought you meant that rock/dirt/bark (whatever) quarry on the other side of the street. I'll try and hit that area up today and check it out. Hopefully its not considered tresspassing and ends up being pretty fun.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
thesacrifice said:
Yea, I thought you meant that rock/dirt/bark (whatever) quarry on the other side of the street. I'll try and hit that area up today and check it out. Hopefully its not considered tresspassing and ends up being pretty fun.
Yea, i meant the area across the street. Ive never seen it, just have heard of it.

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
actually a couple years back Kyle and I checked out that sandpit ledge drop deal. It had a real loose and soft landing that's calling to pitch you off the front of your bike. You couldn't even walk in it with out sinking half way up your shins. I've never seen any stunts or anything there...of course I've never looked either

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
SR said:
actually a couple years back Kyle and I checked out that sandpit ledge drop deal. It had a real loose and soft landing that's calling to pitch you off the front of your bike. You couldn't even walk in it with out sinking half way up your shins. I've never seen any stunts or anything there...of course I've never looked either
That one trail still up on TW hill? I remember the jump over the fallen tree. It was intimidating then...now i think i could hit it.