Quantcast

capt.crispy - RESOLVED SATSIFACTORILY

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
FEEL FREE TO BUY FROM CAPT.CRISPY WITH CONFIDENCE!!!
IGNORE THIS THREAD - HE HAS COME THROUGH IN A WAY COMPLETELY SATISFACTORY TO MY NEEDS. HE IS AN UPSTANDING SELLER, AND I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO COMPLAINTS AGAINST HIM, AND WOULD GLADLY DO BUSINESS WITH HIM AGAIN!!

So here's the deal. capt.crispy lists an RCS 400lb 2.5" stroke Titanium spring for sale on the classifieds for $75. Knowing this is a good deal on the spring I've been looking for, I snatch it up from him immediately.
He ships promptly, and all seems well until I open the package. The spring does not look anything like a 2.5" stroke spring, nor does it look like it's 400lb. Sure enough, I measure it, and it's 2.25" stroke. No big deal, I can still use it and just sacrifice some preloadability.
So I mount it on my bike and sit on it. 50% sag (at least). Bad. I had a 450lb RCS Ti spring on there, and was barely getting 30% sag (which was why I was shopping for a 400lb). Doing some simply math knowing that springs are roughly linear in their normal travel, I figure the spring to be 275lb.
"Okay, I'll just contact him and get my money back."
I email his Paypal email address - no response
I email his contact email - no response
I try to contact him through Ridemoney - no response
I file a Paypal claim - it's been 7 days since I opened the Paypal claim with no response from the seller. I am escalating to a claim right now.
I started this business feeling really optimistic, and even optimistic when I found out there was a problem, having full faith that this guy would sort things out since it was his error. Boy was I wrong. This guy just wants your money, and then wants to ignore you when he sells you something other than what he was advertising.
DO NOT BUY FROM CAPT.CRISPY
I don't care what kind of rep he has on the forums - he is the worst kind of seller.

Last edited:

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I suppose it's a possibility, but there are 2 problems with that: 1. He still sold me the wrong item. 2. Who goes on vaca and doesn't find a way to check their email at least once in a while?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Maybe, Mark, but he last logged on to RM today.

He was also active on the Dirt Rag forums today, and last posted there less than a couple weeks ago.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
That sucks. It seems the most common way to rip someone of here (and eBay) is to misrepresent something. It's harder to go after someone if they have shipped you something vaguely resembling what they claimed it was.

At least it's something you can resell.

Post his real name here so it shows up in RM and Google searches and maybe you can help stop him from ripping other people off.

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Make sure you take a minute to let Gregg over at MTBR know about him too. I've seen him post on the turner pages and maybe Santa Cruz too. Hopefully it will end on a happy note. Just turn around and burn somebody else:>). :imstupid:I'm kidding

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
you should keep in mind that spring rate tolerances are pretty big, a spring labeled as 450lbs/in could effectivelly be a 480lbs/in, or even greater... if that were the case with the spring you had, the difference in spring rate you wanted would have been far greater than what you expected.
Now imagine that the spring you got from him was off by the same 30lbs/in, but instead of being harder than labeled, his was softer. If this happened to be the case, your effective difference in spring rates would be 110lbs/in instead of the 50lbs/in that could be written on the springs, making it 220% difference of what you expected...
You should always keep that in mind,

I don't think he would have done that on purpose. I bought a yeti frame from him, and was really pleased with this transaction. He knew i'm from Chile, and that it would have been really hard for me to do anything in case he ripped me off, but he stood to his word, and did everything in the right way. In fact, it was a pleasure to deal with him.

I hope you can solve your problem as soon as possible :)

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I still haven't heard back from him. And for everyone's edification, here is a picture of my 450lb spring, and a picture of the "400lb" spring that he sold me. Do you really think that's an accident? He didn't post a picture of the spring on the ad, and once I got it, I knew why. It's good to hear that he's not screwing EVERYONE he deals with.
Oh, and I don't think mine is over 450lbs in actuality because Cane Creek actually told me to use a lighter spring for my weight (they recommended a 400lb), and I was surprised because I thought the spring I currently own worked/works fine. My guess is that my Ti spring is a "light" 450lb spring.

Last edited:

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
Hey bro This is the first I have heard about this.That is the pretense ibought the spring under and I thought I was selling you a 400# by 2.5 spring.I was made aware of this problem by Mark (thanks for the heads up) otherwise I would have never known.I never got a pm from you on here nor an email and there is no dispute on my paypal account,I just checked it before i wrote this.I have no problem at all giving you a full refund on the spring and i honestly apologise for the screw upon my part.The damnsprings don't have the stoke or spring rate on them and that is what i was told it was.Just ship the spring back to me (with tracking number or delivery confirmation) and i with promptly refund you the money.

I would also appreciate it if you could let everyone know this has been taken care of when it is done.Had you contacted me I would have gotten back to you but like i said nothing here or on paypal or my capt.crispy email.I wasn't on vacation I just never heard from you and asumed everything was cool.I buy and sell on a lot of forums.

Thanks again Mark.

- Andy

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
Just wanted it to be out in the open so everyone know.I just went on paypal and issued Erik a refund.Hopefully I will see the spring in the mail soon.Again sorry for the screwup Erik it was totaly my fault and I was not trying to misslead you or ignore you in any way.

- Andy

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Indeed, the man does not lie. I have been issued a refund of the purchase price, so I can't fault him at all. I will make it obvious that you are an upstanding chap. I will ship the spring back for sure, I just need an address.
Regarding the emails though, I sent you a PM and an email to both the email addresses I had for you. The Paypal claim I filed was rejected because they don't cover against (as they put it) "differences in description, so if I bought a Ti spring and got some kind of Ti spring, they don't do a thing. They might not even have contacted you - they immediately rejected my claim as soon as I filed it.
Thanks for resolving this to my satisfaction - I will make sure that everywhere I wrote something bad about you that I rescind my comments and explain the situation.

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
Thanks bro.I really appreciate it.Iam so sorry about this and i hope there are no hard feeling.thanks again.

Oh you can ship it to the address above in this thread.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Glad this was all resolved.

I edited the contact info post since I see no reason to keep that out there.