Quantcast

Capt. Jack Sparrow Kranzel Women Biker of the Year

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
"Kranzel Bike 2005 Mountain bikers of the

Well, let me tell you, this was the hardest year we have had so far in picking the Kranzel Bike Mountain bikers of the year. There were just so many riders that pulled off fantastic rides as well as others that made everyone here turn our heads....

The women’s choices were extremely difficult. For the last 3 years we had unanimously chosen Marla Streb. Marla has always been one of our favorite riders as well as one heck of a nice person to talk to. She represents this sport like no other. In short, we love Marla. But for '05 we figured that since Marla has already a place in history as well as our hearts it was time to respectfully over look her this year. After a lot of consideration, we figured the only person worthy of taking Marla’s place this year would be someone who is as big a fan as we are. This was a difficult choice, the local women just rocked this year, and the pros were killing it as well. So for The 2005 women’s Kranzel bike Mountain Biker of the year we choose [Capt. Jack Sparrow.]

[Capt. Jack] is one of the biggest Marla fans I know, but that had little do with the reasons she has been chosen. [She] has a do not give up attitude. She rides because she loves it. She symbolizes the true reason why most of started riding, for the fun, personal challenge, and to prove that we are actually alive. She is one of the most interesting people we have met in a long time. She has been the MAC series DH champion in her class 2 years running, despite, if I am correct, some personal conflict on whether she can keep going in this sport. We hope [she sticks] around for a while longer. It is good to see someone like [Capt. Jack] at the races, she may not be the fastest person on the mountain, but she is the most subdued cool, as well as inspiring. We could use more women like her in this sport....

-Rick Kranzel"

Great Job Capt. Jack.......!!!!!!!

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
MMike said:
I have never heard of this prestigious award...
So What would make this more prestigous ? if it was given by sports illustrated?, some bike magazine?, how about ridemonkey?

It really doese not matter. The capt. was chosen from among her peers. amature and professional, and if prestige is what you want, that should be good enough.
We may be some small company, but we do out best to support each and every rider in whatever discipline we have come in contact with. Our web site gets over 10000 hits a month, and we do not offer anything for sale. people come for the information and the entertainment. so at least 10000 people will know of the capts.achievement. is that a little prestige?
we support the sport of cycling, and in particular downhill. We praise the pros as well as the amatures. CApt Jack was not chosen because she ran scourching times, or pounded her competition into dust, she was chosen for her representation of the sport. her effort to conquor her fears. she did not beat the odds, she learned how to deal with them. in spite of the fact that at times she may have been a little intimidated by a course, she still showed up.
7 people argued over 3 hours till we came up with our choices. isnt that worthy of prestige?
Say what you want about us, but do not steal the glory from this woman. she deserves to be held above the rest, at least for this little while.
Rick Kranzel

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
teamkranzelbike said:
<snip>long misunderstanding rant</snip>
woah woah woah hey easy there, east coast... i don't think anything was meant negative by MMike's comment... i didn't take it as negative, sarcastic or anything like that for sure. it felt a little more sincere than that - like, "hey i've never heard of this, but it seems cool, prestigious if you will." almost like an invitation to know more, not knock it. of course, i guess i could be wrong, but i don't think so. Capt. Jack is pretty well regarded around here by all of us, just as you all do. I don't think any ill-will has been intended. deep breaths, deep breaths. i for one appreciate any little thing that's done to recognize athletes in our sport, and i think i can speak for everyone here. or at least, everyone i know.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
My apoligies. If was said in jest It flew over my head. Like I said earlier, I Believe that all the people we chose to mention this year deserve some praise, and That I will be defensive about. Too bad they didn't post the entire story, then all the Cannondale fans could be pissed at me as well.

I am much calmer now!!!!!

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
teamkranzelbike said:
So What would make this more prestigous ? if it was given by sports illustrated?...

(snip)

...Say what you want about us, but do not steal the glory from this woman. she deserves to be held above the rest, at least for this little while.
Rick Kranzel
Rick,
Good for you for speaking up! Some people on this forum can appear rather brusque and condescending at times, and I have no idea if they realize this or not. It really hits a nerve with me when someone carelessly makes someone else's triumph seem trivial. No class.

Thanks for recognizing a great competitor, a strong spirit, and powerful ambassador for the sport. Congrats Jenn!

-sunny (Laura Drexler, No Brakes Racing)

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
teamkranzelbike said:
My apoligies. If was said in jest It flew over my head. Like I said earlier, I Believe that all the people we chose to mention this year deserve some praise, and That I will be defensive about. Too bad they didn't post the entire story, then all the Cannondale fans could be pissed at me as well.

I am much calmer now!!!!!

Trust me dude, I think everyone here knows that Capt deserves it....

She is our downhill Queen

Capt Jack...... SPEECH SPEECH SPEECH SPEECH SPEECH SPEECH

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Oh, geez, work has been nuts... I had no idea there was a post on here about this 'cause I've been busy working.

Thanks to everybody for the congratulations! And thanks again to Kranzel! It's quite an honor.

What matters to me about it is this: somebody had something nice to say and they said it. What Rick Kranzel wrote is more than I've ever seen written about me, aside from college recommendation letters over a decade ago! This is perhaps too much information for a web forum, but I have a problem where I feel I hardly know what people think about me... especially since I'm shy. So to see somebody say something positive and nice really makes my day, my week, my month, and my year.

Thanks again to everybody! Back to work...