Quantcast

Car audio guys.....

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I need a suggestion, for the third time I have rattled the connectors on the subwoofer into breaking off. Need a suggestion for a good brand of connector that will hold up better than the **** I get at radio shack. I have a twist type now because I get a better connection than with the spring loaded type....... Just cant seem to get anything worth a damn.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What is breaking off? I'm not understanding the issue. My last truck hit 136db and I never had issues with speaker terminals. Is it the terminals on a box? I have never used a pre made box with speaker terminals on the outside, so that might be why I have never had that issue.

Pictures, please.

Unless you take the box out for some reason, run the wires into the box and connect them to the sub as god designed it to function. That makes for one less point of loss/failure, too.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
What is breaking off? I'm not understanding the issue. My last truck hit 136db and I never had issues with speaker terminals. Is it the terminals on a box? I have never used a pre made box with speaker terminals on the outside, so that might be why I have never had that issue.

Pictures, please.

Unless you take the box out for some reason, run the wires into the box and connect them to the sub as god designed it to function. That makes for one less point of loss/failure, too.
Terminals on the outside of the box, yes I have to take it out when I need to put the seat further back.... got that oddball tall friend that needs leg room.

I know I need a better connector, just keep using cheapies because it is what they have at radiaoshack.....Not a premade box either...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You'd almost be better off using a quick connect like a Power Pole setup if you take them in and out. They won't come lose when connected and you can slide the connectors together to make a block. I used them for some of my connectors on my R1 build, then ran a zip tie around the connected blocks as a safety measure.

Otherwise get some quality screw type ones online, I have no idea where you would find something local like that other than the Shack.

http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/powerpole-sets/sb50-sb-series-50-amp.html

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
The one's I linked you to are pretty solid. But I'm building a new box this weekend and I plan on running the wires clean straight through to an amp rack on top (I'm thinking plexiglass with leds :thumb:)

Would it be easier to run the wires direct and then use something like this? I might hook one up if I can find it in 0 ga. It seems like a good idea

Edit: Kinda sniped by JD... meh, not quite.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The one's I linked you to are pretty solid. But I'm building a new box this weekend and I plan on running the wires clean straight through to an amp rack on top (I'm thinking plexiglass with leds :thumb:)

Would it be easier to run the wires direct and then use something like this? I might hook one up if I can find it in 0 ga. It seems like a good idea

Edit: Kinda sniped by JD... meh, not quite.
That looks like a nice setup. The one I linked was geared for industrial applications and is build to handle serious vibration. Not audio specific, but you solder the wire into the end, then it clips into the housing and is bomb proof. I figured there might be something audio related, but I've never looked.

My box (when finished) will not be leaving the truck any time soon. I molded that pig into the rear for good. I needed to fill the space.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
what type of "connection" issues are you having with a push-button terminal? ive never really seen anyone that had a problem with those. ive gotten the wire snagged a few times on one of mine and havent had issues.
they do make heavy duty connectors too.
that quick connect posted up above looks like it would cause some issues IMO.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
what type of "connection" issues are you having with a push-button terminal? ive never really seen anyone that had a problem with those. ive gotten the wire snagged a few times on one of mine and havent had issues.
they do make heavy duty connectors too.
that quick connect posted up above looks like it would cause some issues IMO.
The spring loaded connectors?? I melted them......

Let me rephrase that........ the connection wasnt good enough, and was causing too hi of a resistance in the spring loaded connection, sound quality would suffer on the hi volume side, and the resistance from the less than needed connection would heat up the wires enough that they would fuse into the connector then break off.....

Last edited:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
That looks like a nice setup. The one I linked was geared for industrial applications and is build to handle serious vibration. Not audio specific, but you solder the wire into the end, then it clips into the housing and is bomb proof. I figured there might be something audio related, but I've never looked.

My box (when finished) will not be leaving the truck any time soon. I molded that pig into the rear for good. I needed to fill the space.
Yeah on my new box I'm building the amp rack so the wires run straight down out of the amp, under the rack and to a panel on the back with wired up with all the female connectors.

When i built my first box I rushed it so I could hear my new subs so I stuck with a rectangle, but this time I'm making it sit flush to the back of the back seat, with the amp on the clean amp rack on top. It's going to be about a foot shallower than the first one. I'm pretty excited to get some trunk space back. And with this one I'm going for rhino lining instead of carpet. And my subs are marine rated so it'll be bombproof except for the amp. But I'm working on a plexiglass cover for the amp if I can find a way to disperse heat while still protecting it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
little known fact.....no one in a car next to you is interested in what you are listening to.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
little known fact.....no one in a car next to you is interested in what you are listening to.
That's not the point.. It's to pick up chicks. :brows:

But seriously, my car is sound deadened and my subs stay at 1/4-1/2 power 90% of the time. It's kind of like owning a fast car. You don't drive 150mph all the time, but it's nice to have the power there.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
sounds like youre doing it wrong,
what size amp and wire are you using?
10 in, undersized 3/4 in HDF box, 1800 watts, 1200 rms, dynamat inside the truck to deaden...... Like someone already stated, its not about others hearing me, I know they dont want to hear, its not about being loud all the time...... But it sure is fun when you roll up next to a young kid with what they think is a crazy loud system over powering yours.............. Thats whe you roll yours up and shut him up with very loud, crystal clear sound and make them cry....

Seriously though, I usually listen to my truck rather low..... I just like really clean sound.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
But it sure is fun when you roll up next to a young kid with what they think is a crazy loud system over powering yours.............. Thats when you roll yours up and shut him up with very loud, crystal clear sound and make them cry....
You're probably talking about kids my age.. :rofl:

I have 2 12's at 2000wrms in a perfectly speced ported box with my doors and trunk sound deadened.

And this box is being replaced with a cleaner flush fitting one soon :thumb:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
No, I am talking about the kids that go buy a box at walmart and a pair of sony explode's thinking they are of quality sound
I was agreeing with you. That's exactly what most kids my age do. And they can't even fathom why my system is so much better. Someone once told me I got "ripped off" because I paid $200 a piece for my speakers and they have 12's at walmart for 20 bucks. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Yeah no kiddng eh......... One thing I liked to do in the past was take cheap worn out parts... and rebuild them<speaker aside of course>, was always fun to take a 400 watt amp and crank it up to about 1200 to 1300 by changing some components inside it to see how much you can make it push before it catches fire.

Seriously though, I have a thing at times for taking cheap parts and making them sound good..... Its a good challenge to get a box right to make that 20 dollar sub work well, or that 40 amp not burn up.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yeah no kiddng eh......... One thing I liked to do in the past was take cheap worn out parts... and rebuild them<speaker aside of course>, was always fun to take a 400 watt amp and crank it up to about 1200 to 1300 by changing some components inside it to see how much you can make it push before it catches fire.
That's how we won an IASCA National title in 100W pro. 100W PPI amp pushing 4 10" Nakamichi subs and 28 Nakamichi components. No fire, though.