Quantcast

Car bomb in Times Square...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Car bomb defused today in NY City. Whats the over/under on it coming back to a Tea Party affiliate? Apparently a 40-ish white male was spotted on surveillance cameras leaving the scene. Plates were stolen in Ct...interested to see who/where the VIN comes back to...

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Ain't that the truth.

I'm going to say 70% chance of it being a "misguided patriot"...
The fact that it was loaded with possible explosives and only smoldered, move that up to 90%. Real terrorists don't make duds.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ok, once again, McVeigh was considered a domestic terrorist by every media outlet I've ever seen, save other domestic terrorists'. The Oaklahoma City bombing is considered the worst terrorist attack on US soil before 9/11, and the worst domestic terrorist attack of all time.

BULL**** that Americans will only apply the label (useless or useful as it may be) to "brown people."

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Dude used the wrong kind of fertilizer AND didn't open up the gas valves that much? I am very, very glad people have the god given ability to be that stupid!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Dude used the wrong kind of fertilizer AND didn't open up the gas valves that much? I am very, very glad people have the god given ability to be that stupid!
It's right up there with Richard Reid not packing a zippo to spark the shoe bomb. Can't fix stupid.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
BULL**** that Americans will only apply the label (useless or useful as it may be) to "brown people."
Not exactly, the Muslims are just the current terrorists. If you look back first it was the American Indians terrorizing white settlers, there was a time the Irish were to be questioned and mistrusted. There was the Asian evil in during WWII Black Panthers and civil rights in the 60s.

If Aliens came to the planet right now America wouldn't have a problem with the middle east anymore.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Not exactly, the Muslims are just the current terrorists. If you look back first it was the American Indians terrorizing white settlers, there was a time the Irish were to be questioned and mistrusted. There was the Asian evil in during WWII Black Panthers and civil rights in the 60s.

If Aliens came to the planet right now America wouldn't have a problem with the middle east anymore.
I think you misunderstood my point.

We seem to agree.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I think you misunderstood my point.

We seem to agree.
I believe I understood your point. I was just bringing up that White Americans will always have a scary terrorist to live in fear of, we just prefer to label the ones that are not white.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
if this is a tbagger, it certainly doesn't make much sense. why rail against out-of-control gov't by putting a car bomb in the city that most represents capitalism, which is (at least in the eyes of joe tbagger) polar to today's form of gov't?

and as far as raw numbers go, aren't there more white males in their 40's who're obama supporters?

see? by itself, it means nothing

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I believe I understood your point. I was just bringing up that White Americans will always have a scary terrorist to live in fear of, we just prefer to label the ones that are not white.
So you were talking about the black Irish, then.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
seems to support my point, as long as you understand my point to be that 18% of 'mericans support the tea party (cnn poll couple weeks back, iirc), and for the sake of this exercise we'll generously cast the whole lot as tbaggers. from that, we'll call 10% male, and a good portion of them white males in their 40's. what are we left with? maybe approaching 7%?

numbers are a little squishy at your link, as it would have white males, or males by age, but couldn't see a proper age comparison of voting white males as a percentage. i'm sure the data are out there, but pulling things out of my ass is pretty fun, too

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
if this is a tbagger, it certainly doesn't make much sense. why rail against out-of-control gov't by putting a car bomb in the city that most represents capitalism, which is (at least in the eyes of joe tbagger) polar to today's form of gov't?
When timothy mcviegh blew up the federal buliding in OKC he thought of it as revenge for Ruby ridge and Waco and also thought that the act would prompt people to raise up against the government. He thought of his act as a catalyst for revolution. Remember the guy who just flew his airplane into the IRS building? Revenge was his motive also. Blowing people to pieces in times square whould make a hell of a statement, you know, if your already deluded enough to drive a car bomb into times square.

*edit.
And you appear to be operating under the assumption that teabaggers are capable of making sense. An assumption I find :rofl:

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
When timothy mcviegh blew up the federal buliding in OKC he thought of it as revenge for Ruby ridge and Waco and also thought that the act would prompt people to raise up against the government. He thought of his act as a catalyst for revolution. Remember the guy who just flew his airplane into the IRS building?
i'm familiar enough to know the UN bldg isn't in the blast radius. was there another gov't bldg that was the target? that could connect the dots nicely.
And you appear to be operating under the assumption that teabaggers are capable of making sense. An assumption I find :rofl:
you appear to be stating there are not. if so, you must regard the major points of their platform as piffle, or at least wildly misunderstood.

so i don't put words in your post, please state the major points of this movement, and where it's nonsensical. (if you cite that poll done by UW last month, i'll have to waterboard the first black hippie i see)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
liberal

elite

east coast

new york times

wall street

These terms when grouped together don't follow any sort of theme you might have heard........somewhere.......probably lately?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
liberal

elite

east coast

new york times

wall street

These terms when grouped together don't follow any sort of theme you might have heard........somewhere.......probably lately?
i like that. almost as much as

wilding.
easter.
nyc.
EIB network.
gangs.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
i'm familiar enough to know the UN bldg isn't in the blast radius. was there another gov't bldg that was the target? that could connect the dots nicely.
I think kidwoo hit the nail on the head on that one. It doesn't have to be a government target, just a target that gets peoples attention. I think Times Square would meet that requirement, don't you?

you appear to be stating there are not. if so, you must regard the major points of their platform as piffle, or at least wildly misunderstood.

so i don't put words in your post, please state the major points of this movement, and where it's nonsensical. (if you cite that poll done by UW last month, i'll have to waterboard the first black hippie i see)
From the leftist commies at Bloomberg.:rolleyes:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I think kidwoo hit the nail on the head on that one. It doesn't have to be a government target, just a target that gets peoples attention. I think Times Square would meet that requirement, don't you?
while that may be true, i was led to believe that you were putting forth the common denominator as anti-gov't. but it could have just as likely been your point they were anti-architecture
the title is betrayed by the data
At the same time, 70 percent of those who sympathize with the Tea Party, which organized protests this week against President Barack Obama’s health-care overhaul, want a federal government that fosters job creation.
i hope you don't believe that "fosters job creation" == "more porridge, sir".

it's much more like "gtfo of my way & let me succeed"

you can't mock them for their views & at the same time not properly know them. well, actually, you *could*

oh, you want some buttery rich irony? the author of this piece - Heidi Przybyla - is a fb fan of this: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Newspaper-Ledes-That-Have-Nothing-To-Do-With-Their-Stories/294590197384

i believe this is where you'd put some sort of smiley best expressing the appropriate emotion, but can't seem to find :sofunnyi****myself:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
No. Its more "GTFO of my way, but first give me a job". Hypocrisy seems to be the one common denominator of the tea baggars. Remember "get your government hands off my medicare"?
You mean like those teabaggers protesting cuts to NASA? Way to go guys... I have a feeling this is why the "tea party" isn't actually putting forth any candidates, since then they'd have to actually state *what* they wanted to cut, instead of the ubiquitous "government waste" BS.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Hypocrisy seems to be the one common denominator of the tea baggars. Remember "get your government hands off my medicare"?
i believe they still feel that way; as bad a state that it's in, any change to it (including reform) is met w/ suspicion.

speaking of tbaggers, it seems their ideology of hate has spread to the muslim world: Pakistani Taliban claim credit for failed NYC Times Square car bombing
A top Pakistani Taliban commander took credit for yesterday's failed car bomb attack in New York City.

Qari Hussain Mehsud, the top bomb maker for the Movement of the Taliban in Pakistan, said he takes "fully responsibility for the recent attack in the USA." Qari Hussain made the claim on an audiotape accompanied by images that was released on a YouTube website that calls itself the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan News Channel.

The tape has yet to be verified, but US intelligence officials contacted by The Long War Journal believe it is legitimate. The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan News Channel on YouTube was created on April 30. Officials believe it was created to announce the Times Square attack, and Qari Hussain’s statement was pre-recorded.
wow, what a shifty lot. to have this kind of influence behind what was certainly regarded as enemy lines is simply shocking. america's chickens...they're coming home...to roost

i really thought i had these tbaggers figured out. good thing this entire thread is here to set me straight.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
You mean like those teabaggers protesting cuts to NASA? Way to go guys... I have a feeling this is why the "tea party" isn't actually putting forth any candidates, since then they'd have to actually state *what* they wanted to cut, instead of the ubiquitous "government waste" BS.
in won't say there's nothing to this charge; there is.

it's sadly odd that a not so insignificant portion of this group will chest thump a cadence of "usa! usa! usa!" when we rescue haiti (as long as they stay down there w/ their voodoo), or bande aceh, or some other 3rd world that doesn't have oil (talking point: make sure to emphasize this), but will categorically dismiss this same gov't out-of-hand. i don't believe it's intentional.

hope to do something about that signal-to-noise in the grass roots, but it won't be swift. i think the key here is to get right up to the edge of showing them the mirror in the anti-war crowd, but pull back to let them keep a shred of dignity.