Quantcast

car broke, at home today

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Push it down a hill and pop the clutch?
Damn that is a good idea! But it wouldn't help once I got to work:think:

I do have a hill out of the driveway but I don't know if it is steep enough or long enough.

Probably having it towed soon, waiting for prices and availability of a new or used starter.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Seriously.... WTF is up with all the car troubles on the monkey as of late.... is there an effin curse or something?
Maybe. As of a couple Fridays ago, I may need an engine replacement on my 2006 Subaru Impreza :(.

Have my fingers crossed that it's valve train or a timing belt issue.....

badphish

Monkey
Feb 28, 2008
Damn that is a good idea! But it wouldn't help once I got to work:think:

I do have a hill out of the driveway but I don't know if it is steep enough or long enough.

Probably having it towed soon, waiting for prices and availability of a new or used starter.
Jump the car or get a ride to the parts store, buy new starter, replace old starter with new starter, save lots of $$. Google "replacing a starter" or something similar if you've never done it. It's easier than you think. Besides, you don't have anything else to do today, right?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Jump the car or get a ride to the parts store, buy new starter, replace old starter with new starter, save lots of $$. Google "replacing a starter" or something similar if you've never done it. It's easier than you think. Besides, you don't have anything else to do today, right?
It *may* be easier than you think. Unless it's one of those cars that you have to get underneath to get at it and then pull off 9 other things before you can access the starter.

:D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Maybe. As of a couple Fridays ago, I may need an engine replacement on my 2006 Subaru Impreza :(.

Have my fingers crossed that it's valve train or a timing belt issue.....
oh noes...and neither of those are good to hope for. What's the problem?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
oh noes...and neither of those are good to hope for. What's the problem?
Check engine light came on, engine shutting down in low RPM's, no battery juice, and a knocking noise that eventually reached the ninth level of purgatory before it cut out.

If it is a piston rod bearing, I can probably say goodbye to the engine. Luckily we were able to get a big bar and socket and turn the engine over, so it isn't seized up. And when the battery is hooked to a power supply we can get it to turn over. However, the computer is saying that there is no oil pressure. The mechanic just did a cursory checkover on it yesterday and is hopeful that it is "not as major" as an engine replacement. He's planning on opening up some stuff today to see if he can find the root cause. Like I said I have my fingers crossed. :(

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I'm not pushing that POS anywhere other than out of the garage to get picked up. I'm going snowshoeing!

Free towing, parts at costs and a father in-law that is a mechanic=just buying the parts. It's a VW TDi so I am sure he will have to pull 10 parts to replace the starter.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Check engine light came on, engine shutting down in low RPM's, no battery juice, and a knocking noise that eventually reached the ninth level of purgatory before it cut out.

If it is a piston rod bearing, I can probably say goodbye to the engine. Luckily we were able to get a big bar and socket and turn the engine over, so it isn't seized up. And when the battery is hooked to a power supply we can get it to turn over. However, the computer is saying that there is no oil pressure. The mechanic just did a cursory checkover on it yesterday and is hopeful that it is "not as major" as an engine replacement. He's planning on opening up some stuff today to see if he can find the root cause. Like I said I have my fingers crossed. :(
good luck, dude. Funny yours is down, my car finally runs well! I hope it's a bad read, no oil pressure=bad bad news...or time for a turbo swap.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
My starter broke and I am stuck at home. 142k before the turd finally $hit the bed.

waiting now.....
If it wont turn over at all because the starter is locked up get a hammer, crawl under the car and smack it a few times with a hammer (the starter).

This is not a joke. Nor is it a permanent fix, but you'll probably get a few starts out of it.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
This is not a joke. Nor is it a permanent fix, but you'll probably get a few starts out of it.
I just want it fixed.

I knew something was going, it has been slow to start the past few weeks. Thought it was the bettery since I still have the original in there from 10/2002 when I got the thing. Battery still metered out good when AAA was here:think:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I just want it fixed.

I knew something was going, it has been slow to start the past few weeks. Thought it was the bettery since I still have the original in there from 10/2002 when I got the thing. Battery still metered out good when AAA was here:think:

PM me your address. I can be there in an hour or so. Just pay for my gas, tolls, and shells. Do you live near a Federal Meat market or a Teds? I'll get her fixed up for you....

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Lat time I checked, a jump start does nothing for a starter problem.

Carefull with the easy statement, some starters have been known to make grown men cry like little catholics school boys when the lead priest walks in the room.

80's to late 90's s10's, select vw's, caddi northstars, Nissan pathfinders......

PS.. teh caddis are underneath the intake manifold.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
Lat time I checked, a jump start does nothing for a starter problem.

No, but if there is a little bit left of the starter than a jump will sometimes pump enough juice into the system to turn the starter over...its worked for me a few times.

On my 94 4runner changing the starter involved 14" of extensions and 2 u-joints....that was a fun time.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
No, but if there is a little bit left of the starter than a jump will sometimes pump enough juice into the system to turn the starter over...its worked for me a few times.

On my 94 4runner changing the starter involved 14" of extensions and 2 u-joints....that was a fun time.
If the starter lands on a flat spot, has a bad solenoid<yes those are two different failures, or has a bad armature<SP> a jump isnt going to push power through to get it started, it was said earlier, a nice tap tap tap with a small hammer will make everything bounc around and make contact again. Been in teh feild for 13 years, never seen a bad starter able to get a jump and start.... seen it on a faulty battery, a sulfated cell, stuff like that.... which can sound very much like a bad starter, but never when teh starter is actually faulty.

Then again, maybe that was after trying and trying, finally deciding to give it a tap, realizing the battery was run too low to do the job then jumping.....

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Got it back today. New starter, glowplugs, cleaned the EGR valve and intake, oil change, new air filter and rotated tires. $220

Intake looked a lot like this:

Going back next week for rear shocks, front wheel bearings and a mass air flow sensor. I will probably do all the work this time around.