Quantcast

Car buying scam?

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
I'm in the middle of trying to sell my car (91 Acura Integra 4 door if you are interested). Anyway, I keep getting emails from several peole who CLAIM to be in New Zealand and want to buy the car. Sounds like a scam to me - here's one of the emails:

"Thanks for the response,I'm ok with the condition,do not bother about the shipping all necessary arrangement will be made concerninmg the shipping and I have informed and contacted my client concerning this transaction.He'll sending the payment for the 91 Acura Integra 4dr on my behalf due to what we've discussed regarding the money he's owing me and he has promised to refund part of the money that he's owing me via this transaction.
Moreso,he'll be sending a check to you in a amount worth of $5,900 while part of the funds will be use to prepay the shipping company while and all necessary document required concerning this transaction will be taken care of by the shipping company.If this is ok by you,you can provide me with the details below:
Name upon the reciept of the check:...........
Address:.....
Zip code:......
Phone # & cell #:.........
Waiting to hear from you.
Regards.
Peter."

And here is another:

"Dear Sir,
How are you doing overthere today? i just want you to know that i came across you advert so i will like to buy your ('91 Acura Integra 4dr, 5-speed )and I have seen the price and its ok by me then i will issue a Cashier Check/Money Order to you.meanwhlie i will also include $1800 on the payment so you should expect a Cashier Check/Money Order of $4,800. the excess is for my shipper that will be coming for pick up.the funds will be used for the shipping of it .i'll imploy you to wire the balance via International Money Gram to my shipper as soon as you RECEIVE the cheque/money order.My SHIPPER will come for pick up on a specicified date that will be convenient for you.i hope i can count on you for my balance I ALSO WANT THIS TO BASE ON TRUST CAN I TRUST YOU?... "

Sounds, fishy, no?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
If you have to ask, It's a scam.

Yes it's the fake check with returned excess scam. They send you a check for teo or three times what the item costs, pickup the item and "excess" and leave. Afew days later the check bounces, your out big $$$ and your car.

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
Yea I figured as much. I emailed both people and told them I'd only sell locally with cash... oddly, I never heard anything back from them!

it was especially obvious since the first guy never even asked for a picture or a description, only demanding that it had to be based on trust. funny stuff!

i ALMOST asked if, by chance, they were from Nigeria....

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
And why the hell would someone buy an almost 15 year-old car in the US to ship to New Zealand? Like there's a shortage of crappy cars there?