Quantcast

Car damaged at car wash / detail shop

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I brought my car to a local detailing place to have it washed/cleaned yesterday and noticed last night after returning home that the sunroof shade/slider was off the track and a small piece of greasy plastic was wedged in between the fabric of the headliner and the shade like someone yanked it shut and off the track. I called the place immediately and they said to bring it in this morning so the manager could look at it.

I went back to the car wash this morning and the manager told me hes going to check the security video to see if there is any obvious struggle with the person who did my car. He said there isn't anything he could do but possibly entertain the idea of covering the cost to have it repaired. He said I need to bring it to a shop or the dealer to see what their estimate would be to repair it. But he kept telling me this is normal wear and tear on a car.

What should I do here? I feel like they aren't going to do **** to fix this even though it was obviously them.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Hate to sound like a prick....but that's why I wash/clean/work on my own vehicles. I'm sure some kid making close to minimum wage wiping down cars for 8 hours could care less if he rips the sunroof out of the track on a car that isn't his.

Hope it gets resolved for you though.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Contact the BBB, small claims court.
the BBB is a joke and waste of time.

get a few estimates on the repair and bring it back to the manager. if nothing happens after that, then get ready for a long drawn out process of trying to get money for repairs.
if its just the shade, then it should be/is a easy fix and shouldnt cost anything to fix unless something is totally FUBARd

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I would think unless there is any evidence, its your word against theirs. Seriously doubt you'll win in SCC. Was there anything on the video?
This is a higher end place, but apparently still has ****ty employees. The manager said I should hear back from him by 2pm today about the video. I am going to hit a couple repair places for quotes this week I guess. Thankfully there are a few shops around here that specialize in bmw's.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
This is a higher end place, but apparently still has ****ty employees. The manager said I should hear back from him by 2pm today about the video. I am going to hit a couple repair places for quotes this week I guess. Thankfully there are a few shops around here that specialize in bmw's.
Good luck, more than likely the video will show "nothing" as he'll say. Be prepared w/ the Vaseline.:(

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Hate to sound like a prick....but that's why I wash/clean/work on my own vehicles. I'm sure some kid making close to minimum wage wiping down cars for 8 hours could care less if he rips the sunroof out of the track on a car that isn't his.

Hope it gets resolved for you though.
This.

Sorry to hear, that totally sucks.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah pretty lame indeed. I will get on the estimates asap, but my work schedule is of course crazy this week which will make getting out to one of these places on my lunch or after work difficult.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Move out of CA. It's the only place that I've lived that makes you feel like a second class citizen if your vehicle is not washed and waxed 24/7..

On the other hand, services like that and dry cleaning, nails (for the wife) etc. are dirt cheap out there.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I am not someone who usually cares about how dirty my cars are, but this is a new (to me) car and this is the first time I have washed it since I bought it a few months ago.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I can only imagine the peals of laughter from the guy after you left, talking to his employees. Can anyone who can speak Spanish tell me how to say, "I told him I was going to check the tape-and he believed me!"

Seriously though, if he does give you the "Check the tape" bull****, ask to see if for yourself.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Bummer. Expensive car is...expensive.

Even if any video evidence exists, chances are good they will delete it. Dude should have thanked you for the head's up.

If you didn't notice it on the spot you are going to have a tough time proving anything. It will come down to customer service and whether they want your future business. Small claims is probably not worth the time and effort.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I just got off the phone with the manager, he reviewed the footage and said he couldn't tell if the sunroof shade was opened or not because the window is (factory) tinted. I opened the shade on Sunday and it opened and closed without a problem.

He said I can review the footage myself with his superior tomorrow and that he recorded it so it could easily be viewed again when I come in (it seems like they are being legit about it). I also made him aware of the cost to repair and said it is good that we have a ballpark number and that I could work with his superior on what to do next when I come in.

Facts:
-Sunroof glass was dirty when I went in
-Sunroof glass was definitely cleaned
-Sunroof shade is now off the tracks and obviously broken

So we will see what happens next. Fingers crossed this doesn't drag on too much longer.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I must say, to their credit, the fact that the dude called you back by 2:00pm when he said he'd call you by 2:00pm is a good start.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
There is a broken piece of the rail that fell out when I first tried to open it. The shade will not sit back on the rail without the missing piece being attached. I looked at how to's online and looked up the needed parts and it looks like it is something I could possibly do on my own for a little over $100.