Quantcast

Car dilemma

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
You know how I've been shooting off my mouth about my free car? well....

I have a bit of a car dilemma... my boss is strongly urging me to take his minivan instead of getting a new Jeep. See, it's better for the company if I take the van instead of him leasing a whole new vehicle. This way he can get a pick-up to use as a demo vehicle. Presumably, this will help sell more product and then I will end up with more money. "Is this good for the company?".

It would be for 2 years until the lease is up. I also would not have to claim it as a taxable benefit when I do my taxes next year...so that would save me a couple of grand.

And (as minivans go), it's pretty kick-ass. 2003 FULLY loaded....5 CD changer, powered doors that open with a remote, all the bells and whistles, except leather.

And if I hold out for the Jeep, then I'm stuck with it for 4 years. (and I'm not super stoked about the Liberty anyway....and it won't be as tricked out either).

But then I'm stuck driving a minivan for 2 years....

What to do....

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Id say a tricked out minivan is better than a liberty anyday, think about it, more room, probably better gas milage, more toys (ie 5 disc changer) then you got the liberty...which is basically a minivan for people who dont wanna say they drive a minivan
________
BUSTYCARAMELDD281 LIVE

Last edited:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
MMike said:
I also would not have to claim it as a taxable benefit when I do my taxes next year...so that would save me a couple of grand.
You may want to check who is giving you this advice. If you are driving a company vehicle it is a taxable benefit calculated regularly. We calculate our benefit monthly. I have never had to look further into the issue because our company policy goes above and beyond the IRS code, but I would be willing to say that if they do not calculate that benefit to you and include the amount into your annual (2004) earnings, commonly referred to as "grossing up" your YTD earnings, someone is gonna get in trouble. Unfortunately it is the tax payer that is ultimately responsible.

Just a FYi....

Also I would take the Mini-Van. I have a Liberty (which I like) but if I am heading for a weekend road trip and my folks who live around the corner from me are not using their pimped out Mini-van I am stealing that f--ker! :thumb:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
You may want to check who is giving you this advice. If you are driving a company vehicle it is a taxable benefit calculated regularly. :thumb:

It wouldn't be in my name. It's already in my boss's name. He'd just hand me the keys.... (I haven't really verified the taxable benefit thing for sure...but we're pretty certain I'd be in the clear).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
MMike said:
which one?
take the more practical one. for all the macho image of suvs (and i'm as guilty as any -- i have m/t tires despite logging 99.9% highway miles, sheesh) they are impractical. the minivan has a lower floor, much more room, a nicer ride... go with it.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
MMike said:
It wouldn't be in my name. It's already in my boss's name. He'd just hand me the keys.... (I haven't really verified the taxable benefit thing for sure...but we're pretty certain I'd be in the clear).
You are always in the clear until you or your company gets caught/audited. None of our company cars are in an employee's name. They are in the company's name.
;) :monkey:

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Go minivan. You can fit 5 bikes inside those things if you take the seats out or again, ditch the seats and sleep in it on long weekend biking roadtrips.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Alright....so it looks like I'm getting a minivan...sigh....

You guys better not make fun of me!

(he use it to pull a giant camping trailer, so it's got rear rubber helper springs too...)

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
I had a rental a few months back. It was a Honda Mini-Van. That thing was pretty peppy. I think it had 240hp. I felt a little wimpish in it, but it was a little fun to drive. Plus the kids really liked it. I opend both sliding doors when I got home and they ran through it like it was some kind of play ground. It was pretty funny. I'd definitely pick it over the liberty. My neighbor has one and I feel so cramped in it.

CChris

Chimp
Jul 20, 2004
The Monch
Minivan, eh? Given the fact it`s free.... I guess one can't complain. Besides they are huge and can hold a crapload 'o crap. What kind is it anyway? Does it have highrail gear on it? That would be cool...

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
MMike said:
Alright....so it looks like I'm getting a minivan...sigh....

You guys better not make fun of me!

(he use it to pull a giant camping trailer, so it's got rear rubber helper springs too...)
You made the right decision. The one thing no-one brought up was nookie room.

Minivan - LOTS! You could set up an S&M Dungeon back there!

Jeep Liberty... Not so much.

The extra springs will help out there as well! :sneaky:

bigbirdie

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
CT
I'm sorry.....I would never drive a minivan for whatever benefit it would contain. I hate them and everything they stand for. I always get behind one (going slow) and usually a overweight, stay-at-home mom with her coffee, "rolls" out of one to pick up her kid a some function that she sustitutes for a babysitter. No, I'm not sterotyping, just a observation. On top of it, I manage a production floor at a automotive plant that makes the fuel pumps for all Chrysler vans and the Jeep Liberty and quite a few other cars and trucks out on the road. I would go with the Liberty. I have a SUV, a small 2dr. 4cyl and a G35 sedan. there is nothing more pathetic than a guy driving a mini. mini's are as gay and "whipped" as you can get.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Well funny story....

Minivan is no longer on the table. He changed his mind about geting the demo truck for a while..(has to do with gov't R&D grants etc...), so he's keeping his van. so we went car shopping today. Placing the order for the Liberty tomorrow morning.

In our travels, I drove a Nissan X-Trail. What a hunk of crap that is....

CChris

Chimp
Jul 20, 2004
The Monch
MMike said:
Well funny story....

Minivan is no longer on the table. He changed his mind about geting the demo truck for a while..(has to do with gov't R&D grants etc...), so he's keeping his van. so we went car shopping today. Placing the order for the Liberty tomorrow morning.

In our travels, I drove a Nissan X-Trail. What a hunk of crap that is....
Awesome! Can`t wait to drive it! Watch and see me make it through the yellow at St-John's!!!! :dancing:

Oh yeah, I saw a Mazda 3 just like mine with a Thule bike rack on the roof. How do those things attach?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
bigbirdie said:
I have a SUV, a small 2dr. 4cyl and a G35 sedan. there is nothing more pathetic than a guy driving a mini. mini's are as gay and "whipped" as you can get.
i guess it's OK if you are "whipped" by madison avenue? go get 'em, killer.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Well the deal is done. My boss and I bought the Liberty yesterday. I get it on Monday.

Sport, black, fogs, alum wheels, tow pkg, tinted glass,

The only thing that really bugs me is that it has really small tires. I'll have to do something about that......

bigbirdie

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
CT
cool, you'll like that much better than the mini......and you'll feel better about your manliness.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
MMike said:
I need a sticker that says: "My other car is a Miata"
LOL
:D

So do they take your "Man's Club" card before or after you sign?

:cool:

You took the tassles off already, right?

:rolleyes:

*edited by myself I should know better*

:eek:

An upside is that rear door opens up and makes a great diaper changing station.

:)

Where is the wood panelling?

:p

They were all out of the purple ones, eh?

:sneaky:

Is that a 4 cyl or are you just dragging your feet?

:think:

I bet you can get into a Lilleth Fair(sp?) concert in that thing....

:evil:

Ok I am running out of smilies....and I am long past anything remotely clever. :D

Enjoy it MMike....it will be dependable and get you to your Gino visit no problem.

I kid because I like you.

Kevin

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
MMike said:
I'm going to cry myself to sleep in my frilly pillow.....
*From "Along came Polly*

I don't use them, they are for decoration. I put them in the chest at night and then put them on the bed in the morning....

:think:

Why? :D