Quantcast

Car experts: Driving across Canada...car tuneup question

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Hey,

Here's the situation, I have to drive my crappy 1994 Saturn across the country (5-6 days of driving). I haven't had a tuneup done in about 2 or 3 years. I've been getting oil changes regularily though. I have 162000kms so far and I don't know if my timing belt has ever been changed. What kind of tuneup or work should I get??? I know nothing about cars.

I've been talking to people and from what I'm being told, I should probably get:

-oil change that I'm due for soon anyway
-change the sparkplugs
-possibly change the sparkplug cables
-possibly change my timing belt (which I hear is expensive to do)

Anyone have any info???

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
ChrisRobin said:
Hey,

Here's the situation, I have to drive my crappy 1994 Saturn across the country (5-6 days of driving). I haven't had a tuneup done in about 2 or 3 years. I've been getting oil changes regularily though. I have 162000kms so far and I don't know if my timing belt has ever been changed. What kind of tuneup or work should I get??? I know nothing about cars.

I've been talking to people and from what I'm being told, I should probably get:

-oil change that I'm due for soon anyway
-change the sparkplugs
-possibly change the sparkplug cables
-possibly change my timing belt (which I hear is expensive to do)

Anyone have any info???
Check Saturn's website and see what sort of scheduled maintenance would be recommended for your mileage - and then do what you think is necessary. I wouldn't personally bother with plugs and wires unless you suspect they're bad. But if you're overdue for a timing belt you might consider doing that...........

-S.S.-

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
If it is a belt and not a chain,get it replaced.Depend on tolerances for your engine you could drop a valve thru the top of a piston :mumble: .I know it's
expensive to have done but it's cheaper than breaking it on the road,gettin towed who knows how far.Then you have to get it fixed who knows where.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
oil change
spark plugs/wires
timing belt
Have the shop give it a once-over... checking things like hoses, belts, brakes, tires, air filter, etc. Change as necessary.

might not be a bad idea to have transmission fluid changed and the cooling system flushed. Not mandatory, but recommended.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you know a reputable shop, just bring it into them and explain to them what you're doing. They'll give the car a once-over.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
jacksonpt said:
oil change
spark plugs/wires
timing belt
Have the shop give it a once-over... checking things like hoses, belts, brakes, tires, air filter, etc. Change as necessary.

might not be a bad idea to have transmission fluid changed and the cooling system flushed. Not mandatory, but recommended.
Or unless you own a Toyota. Then don't worry about a thing. Just pull out of the driveway and head out ;)