Quantcast

Car for Africa

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
A man with a gun wearing bondage gear?

I'm pretty sure MikeD is already set up like that.
I think we may have reached the end of Ridemonkey here...congrats! Was that the sound of the seventh seal cracking?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
OK--After thinking it over, I don't know if it's worth taking a car that I like and plan on keeping. Especially a unibody car-minor collisions are inevitable, and someone recommended sticking with body-on-frame construction to me. So looks like no Subaru.

1987 Land Cruiser for just under $5k. Looks NICE, well kept and restored...217k miles.

Or one of many mid-90s 4-runners for $3-5k? Toyota gurus--help me out!! I like the LC, personally, but I hear our employer's mechanics can work on most US-spec Toyotas, as well...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
OK--After thinking it over, I don't know if it's worth taking a car that I like and plan on keeping. Especially a unibody car-minor collisions are inevitable, and someone recommended sticking with body-on-frame construction to me. So looks like no Subaru.

1987 Land Cruiser for just under $5k. Looks NICE, well kept and restored...217k miles.

Or one of many mid-90s 4-runners for $3-5k? Toyota gurus--help me out!! I like the LC, personally, but I hear our employer's mechanics can work on most US-spec Toyotas, as well...
Can you buy something local once you get there?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Can you buy something local once you get there?
For double the price of anything I'll buy in America. We're told to buy here, have it shipped over (provided free) and either sell it for a profit or ship it back over (again, free).

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Early 90's 4Runner, 22re (4 cyl.) only. If it's mid 90's, (3.2 v6?) you should be ok. DON'T GET A 3.0 v6!

Toyota went from an asbestos head gasket to something else in 1991 and the gasket blows all the time. They switched the design with the larger V6 and corrected the problem. I think the larger V6 is '95 and newer.

My brother-in-law bought his Isuzu Trooper for $500 off CL. He drove from Orange County to Costa Rica when he moved and it's still going strong a year later.

Looks sorta like this:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

Like Jimmy said avoid the 3.0 motor and you will be sweet with the 4runner's, I've had a couple of them (2.4 & 2.8 TD) and they have been utterly brilliant for reliability and resale value!
But that said the cruiser sounds real good...... I'd go for that if it's aircon works (gonna be hot there right?). :D

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Early 90's 4Runner, 22re (4 cyl.) only. If it's mid 90's, (3.2 v6?) you should be ok. DON'T GET A 3.0 v6!
Awesome info, thanks!

DW, still looking at the Land Cruiser--aircon does work!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
*whew*--I'm back! But no more questions.

Meet the new car:

1988 4-Runner. 4-cyl, clean engine aside from the usual surface ugliness on an engine that old. (Think it's a 22 RE--it's a 22-something). Runs strong, not spewing any fluids, steering's still precise, shifts nicely and the t-case changes drive modes smoothly. Inside is ugly, but only just enough. Need to lean on the tailgate to get the glass down, and they're still trying to fix the gate latch for me. Has a back-up beeper in reverse. Has that nostalgic and hideously annoying whine when the door is open or your seatbelt is off. Aircon compressor runs, but they're recharging the coolant for me; hope it starts blowing colder.

$1700. I think I did well. I pick it up this weekend. Thank you guys for all your help. And thank you Craigslist...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
*whew*--I'm back! But no more questions.

Meet the new car:

1988 4-Runner. 4-cyl, clean engine aside from the usual surface ugliness on an engine that old. (Think it's a 22 RE--it's a 22-something). Runs strong, not spewing any fluids, steering's still precise, shifts nicely and the t-case changes drive modes smoothly. Inside is ugly, but only just enough. Need to lean on the tailgate to get the glass down, and they're still trying to fix the gate latch for me. Has a back-up beeper in reverse. Has that nostalgic and hideously annoying whine when the door is open or your seatbelt is off. Aircon compressor runs, but they're recharging the coolant for me; hope it starts blowing colder.

$1700. I think I did well. I pick it up this weekend. Thank you guys for all your help. And thank you Craigslist...

get this as and after market option???

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812/11/flame.thrower.car/

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Perfect! 22RE 5 speed, or at least it should be an E (fuel injected).

The only issue you might have (and it might not be a big deal) is the back window. There is a relay on the driver side rear panel that controls the window. Mine burned out (it was like $300 for a replacement), so the window only went up from the switch in the console and down with the key in the back. I had to remove the limit switch that killed the power when the window was all the way up, or it wouldn't go back down.

Again, it wasn't a big deal, I just had to pay attention to how far I rolled it up and had to get out to roll it down.

You will love it and it's perfect for what you were looking for.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The only issue you might have (and it might not be a big deal) is the back window.
Yeah, the back window and the gate are a bit quirky already. You can't control it from the front, and have to lean on the gate to get the contacts touching so you can lower the glass with the key. And the latch doesn't work, but they're fixing that before I take possession of it this weekend...

Thanks again for the help.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
They are awesome. I had an '88 with the crappy V6, but my dog loved being out of the rain. I also took the top off a lot and enjoyed the fresh air. Made for great haulers, too.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
How hard is it to take the top on and off? The guy who sold it to me was telling me to do it over and over...he'd bought it to restore/convert to a summertime fun truck and wanted the top off. There's a roll bar in back, too--were those standard?

Since we have a rainy season and a dry season, I may remove it seasonally...we'll see. From a security standpoint, it might be best left on. Plus, I may want to throw a basket on top somehow.

Any accessories you'd recommend? (aside from N8's toy, which honestly would be useful...) I don't know if I'll go as far as adding skid plates or push bars. I will definitely be adding mylar security film/tint to the windows (carjackings and smash-and-grabs are bad news). I will get a set of snatch straps (heh heh) and tow straps, of course.

Also, when we did our offroad vehicle training, we used these huge jacks for both raising the car and doing extractions...do you know what they're called? (It's like a long bar with a foot and lift arm at right angles to it, as I recall.)

Thx,

MD

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Hi-Lift (brand) jack? This is $70 from JC Whitney, any good off-road shop should would have one. 48" is plenty.

The top is 4(?) bolts down each side and like 4 or so across the top. There might be a strip that hides the bolts, I recall breaking/losing something plastic.

Yes, the roll bar is standard to protect rear seat passengers in a roll over since the top is basically a GemTop with no structural support.

Mine leaked a little, but I fixed it with some silicone sealant. Getting the top off/on is easy with 2 people. I did it myself without too much trouble, just get in and stand up. There are guide pins you set the top down onto so you know it's lined up.

I didn't do too much to mine other than drive the piss out of it. I had it for about 18 months and minus the back window, I never had a problem. I also removed the rear wiper arm because if I had the back window cracked for air and bumped the switch, the arm would slip inside.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I havent read this thread, so pardon me if Im repeating here. But just hire a kenyan with a rickshaw. Those dudes dont stop for anything, and probably come cheap.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Also, Mike, are you working for the Burundi Beef Council?

Sorry if that joke was made too.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hi-lift...that's it...thanks!

I think it's funny that I have a 2-door SUV.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Also, Mike, are you working for the Burundi Beef Council?

Sorry if that joke was made too.
I am the Burundi Beef Council.

Not yet in this thread (I think?)--just in every other Burundi thread. (Of which there may have been, oh...one or so...)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Hi-lift...that's it...thanks!

I think it's funny that I have a 2-door SUV.
The jack from JC Whitney is a kit with a drop hook and bumper mounts. The mounts let you keep the jack locked to the vehicle and work awesome.

I have used those jacks to get out of some serious sh!t. They are a life saver for sure.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, we were using them to pull jeeps out of mud and water deep enough cover the steering column...we had them set to pull on straps we'd wrapped around trees, and just inched the vehicles out as we cranked the jack.

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN

international scout

these are a bit old, but can be made into some pretty cool and capable vehicles......simple machines too.....

although mecedes g-wagons are the prefered method of people in high standing in the middle of africa.......but you dont want one of those

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hey, JD--

Looks like lighting is an issue over there. Roads in the inky blackness full of people, critters, and things...lots of people complain about driving at night, esp. with tinted windows.

What are my options to counteract this?

I've seen halogen sealed headlights, conversion kits to turn the sealed units into more modern bulb-type lights, and/or aux lighting of some kind. Some of the "for offroad use only" sealed headlamps look like just the right thing. I don't think there are any regulations of any kind to stop me using them wherever I want....

I see all the different types of Hellas, KCs, etc. and wonder if it's not worth mounting a set. Do I need to add some kind of lightbar for this, or can I mount them in/on the bumper? Think they're worth it for an old beater? On one hand, the car was cheap and I might sell it over there when I leave, so why bother...on the other, it was cheap, so why not spend another $200 for safety's sake?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Hey, JD--

I've seen halogen sealed headlights, conversion kits to turn the sealed units into more modern bulb-type lights, and/or aux lighting of some kind. Some of the "for offroad use only" sealed headlamps look like just the right thing. I don't think there are any regulations of any kind to stop me using them wherever I want....

I see all the different types of Hellas, KCs, etc. and wonder if it's not worth mounting a set. Do I need to add some kind of lightbar for this, or can I mount them in/on the bumper? Think they're worth it for an old beater? On one hand, the car was cheap and I might sell it over there when I leave, so why bother...on the other, it was cheap, so why not spend another $200 for safety's sake?
The sealed conversions are supposed to be sweet, but cops love to bust for them here. I doubt you will have any issues there, though. You could go rally style and mount some KC's to the bumper as well.

I had 4 KC's on a light bar on my '86 truck that I used on the trail and they could wake the dead. Unless you want to piss everyone off, I think the bumper is the best option. Should be able to drill and mount right on top of the bumper without too much work. Any Autozone cheap chrome type light will work with a good bulb.

<edit> Oh damn, how about a Trailblazer bar if you can find one! It's like 1 million candle power or something. 16 total lights.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Hey, JD--

Looks like lighting is an issue over there. Roads in the inky blackness full of people, critters, and things...lots of people complain about driving at night, esp. with tinted windows.

What are my options to counteract this?

Use the force for pete's sake.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
For the lighting, you might want to go for a roof mounted setup. That way if you have any creek crossings, the electricals won't get cooked. Also, have you thought about adding a snorkel?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
For the lighting, you might want to go for a roof mounted setup. That way if you have any creek crossings, the electricals won't get cooked. Also, have you thought about adding a snorkel?
Don't think creek crossings are going to be too big of an issue--have a few other things to square away first. The thought did cross my mind, though... :D