Quantcast

Car for Africa

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Don't think creek crossings are going to be too big of an issue--have a few other things to square away first. The thought did cross my mind, though... :D

But if you have to plow through a crowd of pedestrians roof mounted won't get broken.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
OK, so now I'm noticing the leaf springs in back are probably going to need changing.

The guy who sold me the truck will probably replace them cheap-ish if I provide the parts...any advice on where to find them? Online doesn't yield much except add-a-leaf lift kits, and I am chained to a desk at the moment.

Am I stuck with scavenging junkyards?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Depends on what you want. An add-a-leaf will stiffen the ride to more than stock while adding a little lift as well. If you just feel there is too much sag, you can have the stock ones re-arched or replaced.

Pro-Comp adds about 1"-2" of lift over stock with the add a leaf and it's easy to install. 2" rear lift springs will run you about $200, or a re-arch will be less than $100.

You can check yards, but they might have just as much sag, so you'd be better off adding a leaf IMO.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Nah, I just want a return to reasonable-stock...the cost of that would be ridiculous compared to the cost of the truck, which I may sell in Africa when I leave anyhow.

Don't want to add a lift to the rear b/c I don't want to do anything to the front, either.

Once again, thanks to all for the advice. I'll be back in a week with my next crisis. (Still have to add lights to the bumper, although I do have the windows getting security film this week and just put new rubber on...went with BFG TA KOs because I'll be on pavement and dirt roads more than anything else, and I loved those tires on my old pickup...plus Costco had 'em on sale. Almost went with Dunlop big knobby mud offroad tires, but figured I should get a tamer tire from a manufacturer I know and trust.)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
:stupid:

The Downey springs are $200 for 2, 3, or 4 inch lift and the ride is very nice (compared to Sky Jacker or Super Lift) but I wouldn't go more than 2" with a stock front as it will look funny to begin with. If you know a good alignment shop, they can turn the front torsion bars to gain about an inch of height in the front.
Whoa, waitaminit, they're $200 for the PAIR? The JC Whitney springs are $150 each once you figure in shipping...

Ed: Says they use my stock sping's load leaf...since my springs are dead, that's not good, right?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Whoa, waitaminit, they're $200 for the PAIR? The JC Whitney springs are $150 each once you figure in shipping...
48279-2 ‘86-88 4WD 2” Lift Springs, pair $199.00

Per Downey site:

Your stock rear springs utilize 3 upper primary leafs for lift and soft ride, and one or two lower secondary leafs for load carrying capacity. Our new springs utilize 4 primary leafs for lift and support, but with a soft ride. Our 4 leaf spring is built to the same poundage rating as your stock 3 leaf set, therefore the ride is no stiffer than stock. These springs include polyurethane bushings, and rear brake proportioning valve spacer. Downey’s rear springs are shown without lower “Load Carrying Leafs” installed. (They are not included in Downey’s springs; your stock “Load Leafs” can easily be transferred to the Downey spring).

<edit> Downey makes the nicest stuff for Toyotas.

<edit2> You don't have to use the load leaf. The 4 leafs support the same as stock, but you can add the load leaf if you want.

I still say either use an add-a-leaf or have them re-arched. A re-arch will make them even where one might sag more than the other and an add-a-leaf won't cure that.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, noticed that (edited above)--I shouldn't be using any part of the stock springs, I'd think. They look flat and ride lower than the front.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
48279-2 ‘86-88 4WD 2” Lift Springs, pair $199.00

Per Downey site:

Your stock rear springs utilize 3 upper primary leafs for lift and soft ride, and one or two lower secondary leafs for load carrying capacity. Our new springs utilize 4 primary leafs for lift and support, but with a soft ride. Our 4 leaf spring is built to the same poundage rating as your stock 3 leaf set, therefore the ride is no stiffer than stock. These springs include polyurethane bushings, and rear brake proportioning valve spacer. Downey’s rear springs are shown without lower “Load Carrying Leafs” installed. (They are not included in Downey’s springs; your stock “Load Leafs” can easily be transferred to the Downey spring).

<edit> Downey makes the nicest stuff for Toyotas.

<edit2> You don't have to use the load leaf. The 4 leafs support the same as stock, but you can add the load leaf if you want.

I still say either use an add-a-leaf or have them re-arched. A re-arch will make them even where one might sag more than the other and an add-a-leaf won't cure that.
mmmmkay--so I order the 2" Downey spring set. No need to include or re-use any part of the stock springs. Cool.

Will the lifting in back cause any problems with the stock setup up front? How much of a job is it to adjust the torsion bars up front for more lift?

Which brings me to: how much should I expect to pay in labor for 1) replacing the springs in back and 2) adjusting the front if needed?

Again, appreciate all ya'll's help. I really don't want to do anything beyond restoring stock performance, as sad as it is...but if the downey springs are $100 less than the OEM, why not use 'em?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
With just the Downey springs, the back will sit a little higher, but it shouldn't be much. Not sure how much a front adjustment would run as mine was done by a shop that installed my front lift.

Labor on the rear should be less than an hour. As long as the shop doesn't mind other peoples parts, I would say about $50 or so.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

Used to roll in one of these. Alas, my 4-runner will have to do.

JD and Wumpus, thanks again for the info. Total life-saver.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Here is a solid how-to on the torsion bars:

http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=398514

As stated in the article, just pay attention to the CV angle and you should be good. I got about 1.5" out of mine without issue.

<edit> Post up some pics with the security tint, lift and new meats!

Cool...

Looks like I'm capable enough to even adjust the front by myself. Hell, maybe I'll get the 26mm torsion bars, too.

I may actually just order the springs and have our mechanics (or those of the Toyota dealer) in Africa install them...when $1/hr for labor is like triple the national average for a living wage, you can't go wrong. (the mechanics are actually quite good--otherwise they wouldn't be working for us or the dealer...) Shipping extra parts over is part of our household effects transportation.

Was thinking I might do the same for some aux. lights. What do you think of this Hella dual unit? http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=1540

Pics will come forth at some point. Probably once we're over there and the beast is fully equipped...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hey, JD et al...

Just to be absolutely sure, the 2" lift springs won't require a longer shock, will they?

I'm going to replace the shocks while I'm at this...something cheap and OEM-ish, like Monroes or KYB GR-2s. Figure the 20-year-old stock units might be a little tired, and the KYBs are like $25 each.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Hey, JD et al...

Just to be absolutely sure, the 2" lift springs won't require a longer shock, will they?

I'm going to replace the shocks while I'm at this...something cheap and OEM-ish, like Monroes or KYB GR-2s. Figure the 20-year-old stock units might be a little tired, and the KYBs are like $25 each.
Since they have different stock numbers for different lift then I would think you need longer shocks.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hmmm. Now weighing the costs of using the JC whitney stock leaf springs and cheapo shocks vs. getting the Downey springs, 26mm torsion bars, and the appropriate Doetsch shocks.

Hmmmm.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Hmmm. Now weighing the costs of using the JC whitney stock leaf springs and cheapo shocks vs. getting the Downey springs, 26mm torsion bars, and the appropriate Doetsch shocks.

Hmmmm.
You're taking it to Africa where it will enviably get worked over like a drunk coed at a kegger..... do you really want to buy it dinner at Ruby Tuesdays when you could just throw it a burned up hot dog from 7-11?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, sort of my point...but there's also something to be said for building the sturdiest co-ed you can. I'm not going to throw huge amounts of cash down either way...if another $150 saves my ass from danger/inconvenience in Africa, I'd say it's worth it. Which I suppose might answer my own question.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Fun thread to read and I look forward to seeing the pictures of the ready car in Africa. Looks like an interesting adventure.

Sorry if I have missed it but what will you do there?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
So for anyone who didn't catch my other thread, I'm moving to central Africa for 2 years. Burundi, to be precise...be living/working in Bujumbura, the only real city in the whole country.

I'll have SUVs available for work, including required travel to the countryside. However, I'll need my own car for getting around the city (including many dirt roads), and possibly making personal excursions outside...however, that may not even be allowed, depending on the security situation.

I'll have access to unleaded fuel from work at reasonable prices, and I'm told there's no diesel readily available. We're going to need to bring a lot of spare parts with us (belts, filters, tires, other consumables).

So right now, I have a Subaru Outback Sport (Impreza wagon with slightly heavier springs and taller suspension). I could ship this over. But since I'm in CA now, and will be headed to the east coast for a few months of training prior to leaving the country, I was thinking I'd sell my Subie here in CA, buy an SUV on the east coast to use during training, then ship it over when I leave.

Toyota land cruisers and Mitubishi Pajeros (Monteros) seem to be the popular cars for expats in Buj. So it seems simple enough, except that it's damn near impossible to find a used LC or Montero that's has a standard transmission (necessity) and is not luxury-oriented. And I understand the Tacoma is not the same truck as a Hi-Lux (pickup used by the rest of the world).

Anyone have any suggestions?? I guess I could look for a Land Rover...but I was thinking of trying to find a cheap, beat up car...

MD

double cab, 4x4, hi lux.
too bad diesel is not available, otherwise i´d recommend the td. the damn thing is virtually indesctrutible.

bhp billington is a client of ours, and they buy hi lux for the mines in bulk. they put those cars thru ridiculous abuse 15k+ ft above sea level, and i´ve yet to see one fail miserably. they are driven around 80k miles a year under ludicrous condition.

just regular maintenance, and transfer case/diff/gearbox seals and belts is all what they go thru for a good 150k miles.

i´ve heard good hings about the mitsubishi ls2000 (or whatever is called). but i dont have first hand experience with them.
i´d recommend to stay away from nissan pick ups from the early 2000s. they came with a ****load of problems.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
double cab, 4x4, hi lux.

i´d recommend to stay away from nissan pick ups from the early 2000s. they came with a ****load of problems.
Already got the problem locked; thanks, though.

You forget that we don't get the Hi-Lux here in north America.

I had a 1998 Nissan Frontier which had really, really ****ty transmission problems. (It was a manual, too...)

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Already got the problem locked; thanks, though.

You forget that we don't get the Hi-Lux here in north America.

I had a 1998 Nissan Frontier which had really, really ****ty transmission problems. (It was a manual, too...)
yeah, i normally post, then read the thread.

those 22R are pretty stout engines.
i´d venture to guess seals, half shafts and a couple diff assemblies would be good spares to bring along. and if you dont need them, you can sell them for a profit pretty fast.

and this all begs the question... what are you going to be doing in africa btw?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A double cab HiLux diesel would be worthy of my left nut. I wouldn't mind a late 80's, early 90's Nissan Patrol, either. If I was going to bring a rig to the states.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So now I sit with no truck (on its way over already) and a floor full of new Downey suspension upgrades...

I think I'm really gonna like this truck; assuming it doesn't blow up, I may very well be bringing her back from the dark continent...