Quantcast

Car fun

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Negotiated and agreed to purchase a car over the weekend.

Turns out it wasn't the trim level it was advertised as (lower spec).

I didn't get ripped off, but it's not as good of a deal as I thought it was. I have a $500 deposit on it at the dealership.

What do I do?

GO

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
actually, this happened to my brother. He said he would wait till they obtained the car he signed for. They couldn't find one, so he got a higher-trim version at the same price he negotiated on. it's their problem, not yours.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Why do people put down deposits on cars? Manufacturers make close to 17 million of them a year for US consumption.....unless you were getting the ultra rare anti squat model, I don't get it.....

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I still think it's their problem not yours. If you can live with the lower trim level, get them to sweeten the pot with something else... free service for a year or three?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I think Slyfink is spot on. False advertising is a pretty big deal and I think they could get in a lot of trouble.

However, in the scheme of things, $500 isn't worth winding up with $15000 car that you don't want. You stand to lose even more money selling it yourself. I'd say cut your losses if things really go south, and then have drkenan write a review of the place for you.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
haha, i paid with a credit card so if they give me the hard talk I can just chargeback and go have a seizure. They seem pretty comfortable talking about it on the phone so far.