Quantcast

Car guys: 2021 Land Cruiser is last year in the US

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Relatively rich 1st-world cunts like us should at least be trying to offset the damage we do if we can’t bear the thought of not having things at least 99.9% how we desire.

I use https://www.carbonclick.com/ to offset my family footprint, I hope you all could consider doing so too, maybe instead of that new tyre, set of brakes, or in dexter’s case, new rollocks perhalps. I’m sure there are US versions.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I understand your point, but I doubt @dexter is out there rolling coal or taking selfies in poppy fields.
His example was literally driving hundreds if miles off road in a large ice vehicle to go fishing.

Also fish stocks can be (and in many cases are and have been) preserved simply by setting and sticking to scientificly developed quotas. This shit isn’t hard. It just means you don’t always get exactly what you want the moment you want it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You pay someone else to plant trees, to offset your own pollution?

Wouldn't it be better to actually reduce it and plant the trees yourself?

:confused:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
The earth is going to get taken out by another spinning ball of rock and ice or something one day. Calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean, everything will be okay....sooner or later.
Do you have kids?

I don’t think you have the right to be willfully glib about the nihilistic extinction if humans and millions and millions of species of animals and plants because you really want to partake in a leisure activity slightly further away than necessary.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
You pay someone else to plant trees, to offset your own pollution?

Wouldn't it be better to actually reduce it and plant the trees yourself?

:confused:
Yes and yes, and I do. You are the one whose logic is falling down here though; I suggest that we should do exactly what you suggest, reduce personal impact.

You reply; hey it’s not so bad. Rich just gonna rich.

I suggest also offsetting damage. You say, hey, reduce impact.

Maybe do both?

Dirtrider

noah
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
I don’t have an EV and drive to fly fish and ride my bike in the mountains. Does this make me a selfish dick that doesn’t care for our planet? I do have a ELM though (electric lawn mower).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Save the planet: be dirt poor, die young, have no kids.
And therein lies the issue.

Businesses, friends, family, they all want you to get married, have kids, buy a house, go to college, spend money, save money for when your body no longer works, work all day, have cars, buy things, go to Costco, the peer pressure is unrelenting. I don't think as many people understand the monster that should. If you have kids or go to school because you truly want it, no issue, but I have to question how much that really happens, especially with decisions that you don't understand the scope of until well after they have happened...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
It’s not about stopping what we have or going backwards, it’s about powering it sustainably, and fighting to make that happen faster, and until then doing everything we can to reduce and mitigate the damage we’re doing.

I can’t wait until I can have an amazing, 4x4 beastmode vehicle with a 1000 miles of range made from ethically created material and powered by renewable energy. It’s all in our power, we already have the tech but right now we need to pivot fucking hard or we’ll literally be driving through a dystopian nightmare. Push!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
it's about over population....

mother nature will correct that.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I can’t wait until I can have an amazing, 4x4 beastmode vehicle with a 1000 miles of range made from ethically created material and powered by renewable energy. It’s all in our power, we already have the tech but right now we need to pivot fucking hard or we’ll literally be driving through a dystopian nightmare. Push!
Have you seriously analyzed your greenhouse gas emissions with one of those online calculators? For me it was surprising what makes a difference and what not. Not eating meat or driving an EV makes a tiny difference in your footprint, but the real impact comes from not flying and not having kids. And considering all the shit companies and the military are doing to ruin our climate, it is more important to give those politicians that want real change across all areas support instead of trying to save the planet by using a LED light bulb. But hey, nobody wants to change their lifestyle. "Luckily" we have a virus that showed us it can be done differently and I seriously hope people learn from that. But judging by all those "I don't care, I want to party without mask" folks I have no high hopes.
We are doomed, enjoy the rest of the ride.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Have you seriously analyzed your greenhouse gas emissions with one of those online calculators? For me it was surprising what makes a difference and what not. Not eating meat or driving an EV makes a tiny difference in your footprint, but the real impact comes from not flying and not having kids. And considering all the shit companies and the military are doing to ruin our climate, it is more important to give those politicians that want real change across all areas support instead of trying to save the planet by using a LED light bulb. But hey, nobody wants to change their lifestyle. "Luckily" we have a virus that showed us it can be done differently and I seriously hope people learn from that. But judging by all those "I don't care, I want to party without mask" folks I have no high hopes.
You missed emissions from cargo ships... one of the biggest contributors.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
It’s not about stopping what we have or going backwards, it’s about powering it sustainably, and fighting to make that happen faster, and until then doing everything we can to reduce and mitigate the damage we’re doing.

by the time we collapse the earth, we will probably be able to collapse other planets too.
glass half full, you know.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
You missed emissions from cargo ships... one of the biggest contributors.
No shit, that is massive! Just pulled these NOx data for Denmark and the red line you see in the middle is the main shipping route through the Great Belt in Denmark. Other than that you see mainly the major cities.

Pollution.jpeg

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
No shit, that is massive! Just pulled these NOx data for Denmark and the red line you see in the middle is the main shipping route through the Great Belt in Denmark. Other than that you see mainly the major cities.

View attachment 151006
This is more a question for @Changleen. I know one of the periphery benefits of making my own furniture is that I'm not having stuff shipped from wherever Ikea or whomever makes their furniture (although Ikea tries to run carbon neutral) and uses more local (in country for the most part) wood. What is your take on that stuff? I know the "cleanest" way of replacing furniture is getting used and refurnishing, but I'm still fighting a wife who is a bit on the consumer side.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
You sure your wood was local and milled here? Because shipping that shit around the world is likely common as well.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
You sure your wood was local and milled here? Because shipping that shit around the world is likely common as well.
Right, not to mention it is difficult, if not impossible, to ensure that the lumber has not been illegally obtained. There is a lot of demand for exotic species out of South America and Asia that is ill gotten.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This is more a question for @Changleen. I know one of the periphery benefits of making my own furniture is that I'm not having stuff shipped from wherever Ikea or whomever makes their furniture (although Ikea tries to run carbon neutral) and uses more local (in country for the most part) wood. What is your take on that stuff? I know the "cleanest" way of replacing furniture is getting used and refurnishing, but I'm still fighting a wife who is a bit on the consumer side.
That's one of the great things about EVs, you don't have to ship gasoline all over the fucking place, put it in tanks, etc. Sure, you may have efficient NG plants (which now get upwards of 65% efficiency) and other hyro-crabs power plants even, but you don't have to truck the damn gasoline all over the freaking place. This is what proponents of hydrogen just can't grasp, not only does it take a hell of a lot more energy to extract it, storing it requires massively overbuilt tanks that will take a shitload of energy to manufacture and you still have to truck and ship it all over the freaking place.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Right, not to mention it is difficult, if not impossible, to ensure that the lumber has not been illegally obtained. There is a lot of demand for exotic species out of South America and Asia that is ill gotten.
Pine, yo. I don't get none of that good stuff.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's one of the great things about EVs, you don't have to ship gasoline all over the fucking place, put it in tanks, etc. Sure, you may have efficient NG plants (which now get upwards of 65% efficiency) and other hyro-crabs power plants even, but you don't have to truck the damn gasoline all over the freaking place. This is what proponents of hydrogen just can't grasp, not only does it take a hell of a lot more energy to extract it, storing it requires massively overbuilt tanks that will take a shitload of energy to manufacture and you still have to truck and ship it all over the freaking place.
This is what trains are for. :panic:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
That's one of the great things about EVs, you don't have to ship gasoline all over the fucking place, ...
Sure, but you are slepping a heavy battery around all the time in every EV. Did someone calculate what energy that needs?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Stoney has no room to actually park vehicles in his garage. Only room for woodworking and storage of random crap

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Stoney has no room to actually park vehicles in his garage. Only room for woodworking and storage of random crap
he should build more stuff with wood....less chance his head pops.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Cool I don't fly anywhere and I don't have any kids that I know of. So I can feel good about driving the Diesel truck and camper 160 miles to go fishing last weekend and cooking up a rack of ribs while there..I win

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Cool I don't fly anywhere and I don't have any kids that I know of. So I can feel good about driving the Diesel truck and camper 160 miles to go fishing last weekend and cooking up a rack of ribs while there..I win
Diesels are actually not that bad because lower CO2 emissions than gasoline. And the ribs are pork, so you are doing better than others eating beef. You win even more! :thumb:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Diesels are actually not that bad because lower CO2 emissions than gasoline. And the ribs are pork, so you are doing better than others eating beef. You win even more! :thumb:
My F350 ran B99 9 months a year, the rest was B50. I was getting 22ish mpg with big douchebag wheels that came on it. It was $.50 cheaper a gallon than the B10 at Chevron.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My F350 ran B99 9 months a year, the rest was B50. I was getting 22ish mpg with big douchebag wheels that came on it. It was $.50 cheaper a gallon than the B10 at Chevron.
So you're saying you're a hippe in bro-dozer cammo? Got it.