Quantcast

Car monkey tire question : speed ratings

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So on Westy's advice (thanks Westy), I looked up tire reviews on Tire Rack's website. I need new all-season tires for my CUV (2013 Mazda CX-5, FWD manual - the base model).

I found Continental TrueContact's to be super well rated, and they're on sale at one of my local retailers right now. After a little more digging and reading through comments, I noticed that they have a lower "speed rating" than what is recommended for my car. The tag on the side of the driver door calls for "H" rated tires, and the Conti's are "T" rated tires. The load index is fine, the car calls for a load index of 100, and the Contis are 102. "H" speed rating is good to 130mph, and the "T" speed rating is good to 118 mph. I don't really ever expect to go faster than 85 mph, so I don't really feel I need a speed rating up to 130.

Also, I checked last night, and my winter tires are 102T. So you'd think that rating is fine for the vehicle. It seems like there are no winter tires with speed ratings higher than T in my size (225/65R17). Granted, there is an assumption you won't go as fast in winter, but I also will never get close to 118 mph in summer either.

So my question is, given that I don't expect to ever come close to 118 mph with my car, let alone 130, is it safe to just go ahead at get a tire with a slightly lower speed rating? Especially considering that the load index is equal or superior?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Generally, it's not a bad idea to use the speed rating that is the max the car can go, but many cars are governed at 120 and 130. That said, it's absolutely fine to use a speed rating that you plan to never achieve, just remember your speed is limited my the tires. My bmw came with 186, which there is no F-ing way it can ever achieve, so I went down a few ratings for my latest tires (replacing the run-flats with normal tires).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You should be fine, just remember that if you do decide to go faster than the tires are rated for, there is a small but realistic chance of fiery death.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
If you go 105-211% faster than they are rated for, they can become supercritical when you hit a pothole and start a runaway fission event. If you keep accelerating and reach 212%+ of the rated speed, they may become thermonuclear. That could give you some trouble with the NRC unless you have the proper sticker on your windshield.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you go 105-211% faster than they are rated for, they can become supercritical when you hit a pothole and start a runaway fission event. If you keep accelerating and reach 212%+ of the rated speed, they may become thermonuclear. That could give you some trouble with the NRC unless you have the proper sticker on your windshield.

Bow wave compression will overheat and ignite the stock bumper at 200% of rated speed.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
man i did 110 mph on the way from los angeles to whistler for almost 200 miles with a 225/35 on a 10" wide wheel and no fucking clue what the load / speed rating was. Don't sweat it at all.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
man i did 110 mph on the way from los angles to whistler for almost 200 miles with a 225/35 on a 10" wide wheel and no fucking clue what the load / speed rating was. Don't sweat it at all.
225 and 10" wide? Tell me more. Is this related to the new shock standards?

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
How much did those rims cost again?
enough you do recall I work within the auto industry though right?

I totally stand corrected, I ran a 235/35. on that 10, and they might have actually been 9.5's. looking at for sale posts i have both sizes listed, 225 on a 10 is pretty derp, its a big stretch for sure

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I totally stand corrected, I ran a 235/35. on that 10, and they might have actually been 9.5's. looking at for sale posts i have both sizes listed, 225 on a 10 is pretty derp, its a big stretch for sure
I accept your dentistry. ;) I blame boost.