Quantcast

Car monkeys: Rims

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I am thinking about picking these bad boys up for my Audi Avant. What do you guys think?

19x8.5 mmmm... traction.

Here they are now (a little dirty from sitting).

It would be a nice step up from my 17x7.5's I am running now.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I've always been a fan of black rims, those look sweet dude.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks guys. Yeah I have ran black rims on all of my cars I cared for. These would be the biggest wheels I have ever used though. I think these would be a nice new look for the ride. I love my car. =]

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i dont like the look of a 19 myself. i dont like anything more then 18. my dad runs a 17 on his audi and it looks nice. but nothing can beat a 15 w/ all terrain tyres (i want that on my jetta)

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
BBS rims are way soft and easily damaged. Are those RGRs?

My ex has those same wheels (but in silver) on her A4. They're beautiful for sure, but as I said they're soft. I prefer OZs, but if you're getting a good deal on them I say go for it. :thumbsup:

Is your Avant silver, or gray?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks guys for the extra reassurance on my decision. I just have to work out the details with the seller (He seems interested in doing a trade for my current A3 wheels + some cash). Yeah I normally ran no larger than 16's on my cars before I got my Audi. I figure with Quattro, why not have more rubber on the ground. It will be especially nice once I do the turbo upgrade later this year. =]

The wheels are actually LM knock offs. heh I don't think I could get anywhere close to being able to afford the real deal, especially in that size. I just love the 'mesh' style wheels. I think these would be a lot more durable than the real deal. I would be getting a killer deal on the rims/tires no matter what. My avant is silver. Do you happen to have any pictures of her car with them?

deadatbirth

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
In a van down by the river
that 19's should like tight on there...nice rims.
and what size tires u using?
like Nick said above, you might have some issues with them bending, but just learn to avoid pot holes with quick and jerky motions so you can scare the people with you, thats what we do in nj

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
that 19's should like tight on there...nice rims.
and what size tires u using?
like Nick said above, you might have some issues with them bending, but just learn to avoid pot holes with quick and jerky motions so you can scare the people with you, thats what we do in nj
I am already pretty good at avoiding pot holes etc because I have ran performance suspension on all of my cars. Driving is one of my favorite hobbies besides bikes. The tires are 235/35.

Here is my old corrado (before the avant - peoples choice out of 360 cars):

Show condition:

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
I had 18"s of those on my BMW.
No match to NOLA. They made it about 3 months before it was like being in the "magical vibrating car" all the time. The wife loved it, but it killed the car.

Learn to swerve

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I am already pretty good at avoiding pot holes etc because I have ran performance suspension on all of my cars. Driving is one of my favorite hobbies besides bikes. The tires are 235/35.

Here is my old corrado (before the avant - peoples choice out of 360 cars):

Show condition:
Why is the car dirtier than the bike??:busted:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
i dont like the look of a 19 myself. i dont like anything more then 18. my dad runs a 17 on his audi and it looks nice. but nothing can beat a 15 w/ all terrain tyres (i want that on my jetta)
After you NASCAr post, perhaps you should learn to drive THEN worry about getting nice wheels..just saying..:disgust:

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
BBS and mesh wheels are great I really dig that look, but 19s on a car as small as your avant will look silly IMHO. No larger than 18s. Plus putting 19s with no suspension work (if the photo above is yours) will raise the car and increase your wheel to fender gap making the car look goofy and actually handle worse (higher CG).

Black might look nice with the silver paint, but gotta lose the red pinstripe if the car is in fact silver.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
BBS and mesh wheels are great I really dig that look, but 19s on a car as small as your avant will look silly IMHO. No larger than 18s. Plus putting 19s with no suspension work (if the photo above is yours) will raise the car and increase your wheel to fender gap making the car look goofy and actually handle worse (higher CG).

Black might look nice with the silver paint, but gotta lose the red pinstripe if the car is in fact silver.
I'm pretty sure his car is sitting on coilovers...19s are a bit big on a B5 car, but nothing out of proportion.

I'd really like some Audi RS4 wheels+coilovers+R-Line kit on my Golf. But sadly, 'twill never happen...Unless I win the lottery. Car would look titties good like that.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Josh:

Allow me to bestow some good perspective and good taste to this thread.

I've always hate black and red wheels because after I finished building my Jetta, I contacted Performance VW mag and was told that they couldn't feature my car because they'd just done a feature of a red MkIV Jetta. The Jetta was piece of garbage red Jetta with black and red Axis Se7ens, and in the modifications list in the magazine, they listed "floormats". So that tells you how poorly the car was built. I was pissed. With that said, I forbid you from getting black and red wheels, so I will donkey punch you.

Now... onto better wheels.

Brock 4's. Brock 9's. Tracer Techs 2.

Save your dough and get some wheels that are HOT HOT HOT.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
And remember... wider is better (remember those old Pontiac commercials?).

Napre wheels (Discontinued after 1995 or something).

17x8.5, 0et - Front
17x8.5, 0et - Back

Brock B2's.

17x8.5, 27et - Front
17x10, 20et - Back

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've always thought upgraded wheels look cheesy. Get some I-9's instead.
12345. many an aftermarket wheel weighs more than the stock ones. if you are fine with it being entirely for vanity then go for it -- just don't delude yourself you're actually going to make a measurable improvement in your car's handling, ride, or whatever.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
12345. many an aftermarket wheel weighs more than the stock ones. if you are fine with it being entirely for vanity then go for it -- just don't delude yourself you're actually going to make a measurable improvement in your car's handling, ride, or whatever.
Big wheels will almost always weigh more and have significantly more inertia=slower performance and decreased mileage.

There are a lot of other factors involved but going to a very low profile tire can actually reduce grip too.

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
And remember... wider is better (remember those old Pontiac commercials?).

Napre wheels (Discontinued after 1995 or something).

17x8.5, 0et - Front
17x8.5, 0et - Back

Brock B2's.

17x8.5, 27et - Front
17x10, 20et - Back
Wide wheels are great, stretching a set of 195's over them *sucks*. Also, love the bass akwards staggered fitment on a FWD car :clapping: It'd almost look cool if they fit the car and weren't so damn functionally offensive.

I like the black meshies, but I'm not sure about the 19" size. If the price was right I'd do it.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Big wheels will almost always weigh more and have significantly more inertia=slower performance and decreased mileage.

There are a lot of other factors involved but going to a very low profile tire can actually reduce grip too.
Welcome to VAG world...form>function.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Wide wheels are great, stretching a set of 195's over them *sucks*. Also, love the bass akwards staggered fitment on a FWD car :clapping: It'd almost look cool if they fit the car and weren't so damn functionally offensive.

I like the black meshies, but I'm not sure about the 19" size. If the price was right I'd do it.
It was strictly for looks. I was well aware of that. And the weight didn't affect performance as much as you'd think seeing as the car was underpowered as it was. And intake, chip, clutch and lightened flywheel, and exhaust do very little for a 2.0L 8v that bone stock puts out barely 100hp to the wheels.

I liked it though. And look around. Wider in the rear looks better on almost any car, FWD, AWD, or otherwise.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan

Wider is better. But if thats a Quattro, the transmission and diffs really don't like different wheel sizes front and rear.

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
It was strictly for looks. I was well aware of that. And the weight didn't affect performance as much as you'd think seeing as the car was underpowered as it was. And intake, chip, clutch and lightened flywheel, and exhaust do very little for a 2.0L 8v that bone stock puts out barely 100hp to the wheels.

I liked it though. And look around. Wider in the rear looks better on almost any car, FWD, AWD, or otherwise.
Like I said, I just can't get over the function part. It obviously works for lots of people as it's a popular style.

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
Wider is better. But if thats a Quattro, the transmission and diffs really don't like different wheel sizes front and rear.
Isn't that more about the OD though? they just don't want to spin at different speeds, you can play with widths and aspect ratios to get the overall sizes pretty close on different width wheels. It really doesn't make any sense to stagger fitment on a quattro car, but you could probably make the diffs happy...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC

2nd that...also make sure to have your speedometer re-calibrated because if you go up to 19's it's going to be way off!...D

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I'm kinda a fan of BBS wheels on an Audi :D ...

http://www.defconfour.com/other/auto/audi/B6S4_right_side.jpg

BTW, stock Avus 18" wheels weigh - 28lbs. These BBS 19" CH's are 24.5 lbs according to Tirerack and right around 25# on my bike scale. I agree a 18" super light forged wheel would be the better option if I was tracking the car. But the S4 is a heffer anyway and I don't plan on bringing it racing. The 19"s look good, are a little lighter and I like having a slightly wider footprint.

I'm running 245/35-19" tires. Stock is 235/40-18". OD is 654.1mm vs 645.2mm a difference of 9mm. You would probably see that much of difference on the same size tire compared w/ different brands and models. I'm not worried about re-calibrating my speedo.

And Total Heckler - please post some pics when the wheels are on - I think those black LM's repros should look pretty amazing on that silver B5 Avant.