Quantcast

Car monkies.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I currently am driving a 07 FJ getting about 15mpg, average 400 miles a week.

Thinking of moving to a VW Wagon Diesel, supposedly 40mpg.

Am I going to love VW reliability?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
100K miles on a MKV GTI. Only problem was a dead battery that I think was caused by a shorted fan controller after driving through a few feet or so of water on a flooded street. Solution was to let it dry out.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
100K miles on a MKV GTI. Only problem was a dead battery that I think was caused by a shorted fan controller after driving through a few feet or so of water on a flooded street. Solution was to let it dry out.
Similar here. 07 GTI with 105k miles. I had the dash replaced under warranty. Otherwise, pretty much zero issues.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
On a different note if you drive a lot of miles I really like the way a diesel drives but what about the Prius V? At least the same mileages but cheaper fuel.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
On a different note if you drive a lot of miles I really like the way a diesel drives but what about the Prius V? At least the same mileages but cheaper fuel.
We own a Prius V (wifey's car, we got a very good deal on it, friend is sales mgr at Toyota dealer). Great gas economy if you primarily drive around town (52MPG avg spring, summer, fall) and 46MPG winter. We've been getting an avg of 620 miles per tank. It sure is nice to fill the tank (11.9 gal), drive for almost 2 weeks, and only pay like $45 to fill up. But it is a DOG with acceleration, and fuel economy declines on the highway (to about 45MPG), no matter the season. I like the car, there are some cool features I've come to like with driving a Hybrid, also, it is the same exact interior volume as the Subaru Outback it replaced.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
We own a Prius V (wifey's car, we got a very good deal on it, friend is sales mgr at Toyota dealer). Great gas economy if you primarily drive around town (52MPG avg spring, summer, fall) and 46MPG winter. We've been getting an avg of 620 miles per tank. It sure is nice to fill the tank (11.9 gal), drive for almost 2 weeks, and only pay like $45 to fill up. But it is a DOG with acceleration, and fuel economy declines on the highway (to about 45MPG), no matter the season. I like the car, there are some cool features I've come to like with driving a Hybrid, also, it is the same exact interior volume as the Subaru Outback it replaced.
interesting about your highway miles....the one summer my younger brother and his wife came to NC about 4 years ago....they rented a prius....it took them just over 2 tanks of gas to drive out...

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Similar here. 07 GTI with 105k miles. I had the dash replaced under warranty. Otherwise, pretty much zero issues.
i am curious. how does one break a dash?

i love my little 94 yota pickup. i get 28-29 mpg when im keeping up on things (filter, tire pressure, etc). you also get to stay in the yota family, and can use it for rides, transporting bikes, etc

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Your Prius V on the highway doing 40-45 mpg on regular unleaded is probably as cheap per mile as a VW TDI doing 45-50 mpg on supra-premium-priced diesel... and the hybrid will kill the diesel in the city.

That said, there are annoying things about Toyota HSD hybrids, namely engine noise exacerbated by the CVT and soft handling, but cost to run isn't a valid complaint.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I think I'm going to try and talk the litle woman into a Leaf this weekend. 0% for 72 months. If I can get even 4 grand out of the Impreza we'd have a payment of less than 300 a month, minus what ever we'd be saving on gas and however much I can talk them down. :think:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I think I'm going to try and talk the litle woman into a Leaf this weekend. 0% for 72 months. If I can get even 4 grand out of the Impreza we'd have a payment of less than 300 a month, minus what ever we'd be saving on gas and however much I can talk them down. :think:
I say tree fiddy is a reasonable offer. Take it or leave it.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
you forgot to account for how much your electric bill will go up

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Highest I've ever had was about $80ish, and that was middle of the summer (dehumidifiers, AC, pool pump)

Lowest was low 30s, average is $40-45. National Grid sends out a "how you're doing" sheet once a quarter (I think), and I'm consistently top 5 out of the 100ish house neighborhood in terms of efficiency. It's a talent.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
just a gf who is a slob where her car is concerned.
I fail to see the connection between that and electricity consumption. Though a 2.5gal Shop-Vac running for 20 minutes might cost about $0.15. I'm going to have to talk to her. Thanks Steve!

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
Your Prius V on the highway doing 40-45 mpg on regular unleaded is probably as cheap per mile as a VW TDI doing 45-50 mpg on supra-premium-priced diesel... and the hybrid will kill the diesel in the city.
Agreed. If we were always logging Highway miles, the VW TDi would have been high on the list...

That said, there are annoying things about Toyota HSD hybrids, namely engine noise exacerbated by the CVT and soft handling, but cost to run isn't a valid complaint.
Agreed. I do like that the '13 model has a "EV" selection button...I always try to tease the accelerator to see how long I can keep it in EV mode. I kinda wish they offered a plug-in option for the V.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I fail to see the connection between that and electricity consumption. Though a 2.5gal Shop-Vac running for 20 minutes might cost about $0.15. I'm going to have to talk to her. Thanks Steve!
out of the 4 hours you spent detailing her car....you only spent 20 minutes vacuuming?

i say shenanigans.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
New to account for the double dipping $7500 Federal and $6000 Colorado EV tax credits? Or used to be properly frugal? If you buy a used out of state/never registered in CO LEAF you can still claim a partial state tax credit based on your purchase price, FYI.

Another thing to keep in mind is that being in CO you'll want the SV at least. S has a resistive heater while 2013+ SV and SL have a heat pump, which is understandably much more efficient.
you forgot to account for how much your electric bill will go up
We average over 4 miles per kWh. Let's call it 300 Wh/mi to be fair and account for some charging inefficiency. 1000 miles per month at 0.3 kWh/mi x $0.10 per kWh ==> $30/month. **** be cheap, yo, as long as the **** you're talking about is running costs, not acquiring the thing in the first place.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Jesus, either your meter is broken or your elctricty is stupid cheap. I averaged ours out because I'm also looking at Solar again, and our monthly average for the last 12 months is $92.37 per.
What the hell you got in that house? A super-collider?? Our elec over the last 24 months is $77/mo average and we have 3 kids and now a hot tub. :think: