Quantcast

Car Navigation

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The Iphone is not the best navigation and I rather just have one in the car. I want the traffic updates so it can help me avoid some of the crazy New York traffic. Monkeys what to buy?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
it's a big reason why i stuck w/ an android phone over iphone.
It truly is a huge selling point of Android phones for me. Before they came out with it I always thought how badass it would be being able to put GPS routes/maps over the Google maps satellite images. Plus the traffic indicators seems to be pretty spot on, though I don't use it much.

And I can play crabcore from it at the same time!

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
It truly is a huge selling point of Android phones for me. Before they came out with it I always thought how badass it would be being able to put GPS routes/maps over the Google maps satellite images. Plus the traffic indicators seems to be pretty spot on, though I don't use it much.

And I can play crabcore from it at the same time!
:D

and i agree on the navi part.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Mine works fine. I use the strava app to record my rides in Pisgah where I do not have anything even close to a phone signal, but my GPS works great.
Mine sucks, and our trails are nestled into very suburban areas that have great cell reception.....I lose gps signal on almost every ride for a significant amount of time.

I wonder if I have some kind of setting wrong?

droidx2 ...

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I made a bracket in my car for my Windows Phone. And although it has maps with navigation and traffic I still prefer to use my Tomtom for navigation. I like to leave my phone for music (collection, Pandora, last.fm, radio hub, iheart radio, etc) and podcasts. The 5" touch screen of the Tomtom is bigger, I like the layout, and is better seen mounted to the windshield. My phone is mounted to the dash about elbow high making it easier to change songs but harder to see while driving. I really don't see a way to only have one device for both music and navigation. Plus, I feel really techy with two screens glowing in the night. :) I got my Tomtom 1505TM (lifetime traffic and maps) last year at Staples and between a sale, 20% off coupon, and some rewards money got the price down from $230 to $121! Staples is awesome for sales.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I like to leave my phone for music (collection, Pandora, last.fm, radio hub, iheart radio, etc) and podcasts.

That's why I love the HTC/Android phones.....I keep Navigation and Winamp running and a simple swipe of the finger to switch between the two. It's like the phone version of alt+tab.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Probably. Last year I tracked my usual loop at 10-12 local riding spots and each one was 100% complete and spot on.
well I'm kinda tech dumb, any obvious things I should check for?

I have google location services turned on
Standalone GPS services turned on
VZW Location services turned on

I put my phone in one of those arm band thingies and either wear it on my arm, or strap it down to the outside of my camelback.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
well I'm kinda tech dumb, any obvious things I should check for?
The only options I see on my phone are "Use wireless networks - location determined by wi-fi and/or mobile networks" and "Use GPS satellites - when locating, accurate to street level" and both are checked on.

It also might be the app itself. I use MyTracks (google) and it's been flawless.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
That's why I love the HTC/Android phones.....I keep Navigation and Winamp running and a simple swipe of the finger to switch between the two. It's like the phone version of alt+tab.
Oh I can have both navigation and music running at the same time (volume button brings up music controls) I just like to look at both at the same time. Especially with all the cool pics that Pandora has.

Edit: Also, if you hold the back button it brings up the task switcher showing the last 5 tasks.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
- 4.3" screen is plenty big for me
- I have a windshield-mount with a built in charging port
- tell her to get her own goddamn GPS
- stfu

;)

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
The Iphone is not the best navigation and I rather just have one in the car. I want the traffic updates so it can help me avoid some of the crazy New York traffic. Monkeys what to buy?
Go to Costco and get whatever Garmin with traffic (models that end in T) that they have on sale.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Great found last years model which really looks the same as this years for a great price refurnished online still with one year warranty.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I made a bracket in my car for my Windows Phone. And although it has maps with navigation and traffic I still prefer to use my Tomtom for navigation. I like to leave my phone for music (collection, Pandora, last.fm, radio hub, iheart radio, etc) and podcasts. The 5" touch screen of the Tomtom is bigger, I like the layout, and is better seen mounted to the windshield. My phone is mounted to the dash about elbow high making it easier to change songs but harder to see while driving. I really don't see a way to only have one device for both music and navigation. Plus, I feel really techy with two screens glowing in the night. :) I got my Tomtom 1505TM (lifetime traffic and maps) last year at Staples and between a sale, 20% off coupon, and some rewards money got the price down from $230 to $121! Staples is awesome for sales.
Edited.