Quantcast

Car rack (for the new car of course!!!)

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Well folks....I finally got a new car, so now it's time to go shoppin for a rack. I got a '97 Honda Civic LX (sedan) and now I'm wanting to get opinions on what roof racks you guys would recommend most. I'm certainly partial towards Yakimas, but those are of course....quite expensive, although I think that just about anything will be. If possible I'll probably buy used off ebay or something, who knows... I'll be using it for a wide variety of bikes, just about everything from my M3 DH bike, to my antique steel road bike. I'd like it to be sturdy and easy to use without it being too bulky or anything like that. I'm fine buying a 20mm adapter, or if I get 2 trays I might get (for example with yakima) a King Cobra for one and then a simple tray with the QR hookup for the other.

Anyways... any opinions would be appreciated. And for those wondering, it's in decent shape, it's got 85k miles on it, 5spd, got it for $4995 from a dealership on sale. Funny actually, we had seen the $4995 price in the paper in a dealer ad in the classifieds, but when we got there the sticker said $7k, so thankfully we still had it and just had my dad fax it in. :p

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
downhilldemon said:
my bike was more than your car also!
if you have your priorities straight...that's how it should be...

of course, unless you're compensating for your small penis size...then you drive an expensive vehicle...

oops...you guys probably drive hummers...:rolleyes:

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
A true coloradoan buys expensive bikes before cars. Let's see, my M3 was $4600, my hardtail has had at least $1k into it (all cheap parts) I've got probably almost $1k of extra parts/frames in my garage. I'd say I have my priorities set straight as far as spending what for what. :p Plus, I'm only 17, so this is pretty damn good for me. :) :p

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
goodtobeIrie said:
if you have your priorities straight...that's how it should be...
Translation: If all you can afford are expensive bike toys then make sure you get expensive bike toys and talk about "priorities" to make yourself feel better about being unable to afford expensive car toys.

goodtobeIrie said:
of course, unless you're compensating for your small penis size...then you drive an expensive vehicle...
Translation: People who can only afford expensive bike toys and not expensive car toys have to compensate by speculating/fantasizing about genital size.

It's SO bourgeoisie, and funny.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I like my hollywood rack. Small and compact, fits in a 1.25" receiver which is all I could get for my car.

Holds up great at high speed, clamp on the fork is the best way to secure bikes in my opinion (but could be a pain for DH bikes).

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Another vote cast for the rear-mount. If you want to save some $, look into a generic cargo basket. They are ~$60. Its easy to bolt trays to them or build your own out of 2x4's or whatever. Tie downs alone will work with 2 bikes.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
.... yeah - that's the best way to dress up your newly purchased car - go ahead and jimmy rig a bike rack together using 2X4's (and plenty of duct tape) and bolt that to the top!

I've got the Yakima roof rack with the King Cobra tray - the wind noise does suck big time, but it's easy to put the bike on, and secure. (tested to 100mph with 2 bikes up top)

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
justsomeguy said:
Translation: If all you can afford are expensive bike toys then make sure you get expensive bike toys and talk about "priorities" to make yourself feel better about being unable to afford expensive car toys.

Translation: People who can only afford expensive bike toys and not expensive car toys have to compensate by speculating/fantasizing about genital size.

It's SO bourgeoisie, and funny.
ahahahahaha...your translations are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off asshat...and believe me, I don't fantasize about genital size...my man's is quite large enough...did the Hummer comment hurt??

and unlike you...I don't need an expensive car to "make myself feel better"...you must be one of those people that thinks their possessions make them better than the next person...good luck with that...

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Dude, don't derail my thread like that. That's just about the lamest thing ever. :rolleyes: At least if someone's going to derail it don't start calling people names and acting like we're all 5 here. :rolleyes:

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
goodtobeIrie said:
ahahahahaha...your translations are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off asshat...and believe me, I don't fantasize about genital size...my man's is quite large enough...did the Hummer comment hurt??

and unlike you...I don't need an expensive car to "make myself feel better"...you must be one of those people that thinks their possessions make them better than the next person...good luck with that...
Apparently the translations were spot on and struck some nerves.

My bad about confusing you with the bourgeois. Obviously a low class, stoner skank is much farther down on the totem pole than the typical middle class person.

p.s. The quality of one's toys doesn't matter a lick. Put the bong down for a few days, sober up and maybe, just maybe, you'll be able understand my posts and how you've contradicted yourself.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i have a yakima rack that has 2 of the cobra upright bike mounts i'll sell ya everything for 200 bucks plus shipping.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
another vote here for sportworks. slap on a hitch and a 1 1/4" sportworks T2 and you'll be set.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
rooftest said:
.... yeah - that's the best way to dress up your newly purchased car - go ahead and jimmy rig a bike rack together using 2X4's (and plenty of duct tape) and bolt that to the top!

I've got the Yakima roof rack with the King Cobra tray - the wind noise does suck big time, but it's easy to put the bike on, and secure. (tested to 100mph with 2 bikes up top)
Hey, he said that it is a 1997 Civic that he paid $5K for. I'm just trying to save the man some coin. People here seem to have someting against home ingenuity. I've seen a number of homemade racks that use either pipefittings of 2x4's. Paint it black to match the basket and you can't tell. Or you can bolt roof trays to it. Either option works well and costs less than a Sportworks.

I recommend any rear rack over a roof rack based on gas savings.

BTW, my gf has the Saris copy of the Sportworks and works great.

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
COmtbiker12 said:
Dude, don't derail my thread like that. That's just about the lamest thing ever. :rolleyes: At least if someone's going to derail it don't start calling people names and acting like we're all 5 here. :rolleyes:
are you being a crybaby to me?? or Mr. high class society here??

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
justsomeguy said:
Apparently the translations were spot on and struck some nerves.

My bad about confusing you with the bourgeois. Obviously a low class, stoner skank is much farther down on the totem pole than the typical middle class person.

p.s. The quality of one's toys doesn't matter a lick. Put the bong down for a few days, sober up and maybe, just maybe, you'll be able understand my posts and how you've contradicted yourself.
I was just being a smartass here...you're an idiot for calling someone you've never met a stoner skank on the internet...

ooooooh...you got me on the bong thing...now you really must have a big penis being you're such a tough guy on the internet...must be growing by the second...

and there was nothing contradictory...you confused yourself thinking you're above the bourgeois...what a pompous ass...who says "it's so middle class and funny" ??

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
to actually contribute to your thread...I have a newer civic lx...and have the yakima roof racks...and the gas mileage really sucks with 4 DH bikes on top...shorter distances are cool though...but the racks themselves are great...80-90 through the St.George gorge around those corners and never had a problem...

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
COmtbiker12 said:
Ben, I'd definitely be interested in your rack. :) Have any pictures of it? Does it have the towers and everything that I'd need or just the trays?
He wanted $200 right? That's a smokin' deal - I don't even wanna say what I paid for mine....

I'm told that all you need to customize the racks for another car is new towers, which allegedly cost $20. (probably $50, worst case.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
you probably don't need new towers. on the other hand, the "fit kits", which are just pieces of rubber albeit necessary pieces to adapt to your car's roof, are something like $45 or $50 iirc.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
rooftest said:
He wanted $200 right? That's a smokin' deal - I don't even wanna say what I paid for mine....

I'm told that all you need to customize the racks for another car is new towers, which allegedly cost $20. (probably $50, worst case.)
i will get some pics up in a little while. the rack has the towers, cross bars, 2 cobra upright mounts and lock cores. the only thing you will need to get are the clips. the clips are different for every vehicle. i have carried 3 dh rigs on it on twisty dirt roads at high rates of speed while getting stoned and the bikes stayed on top as well i have driven very long distances with lots of bikes on top at well above highway speeds and it was ok as well. i will get pics up in a few.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003

there is actually a third cobra mount as well but i dont know if i have all the hardware for it.