Quantcast

Car rust question

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Northern winters seem to be taking their toll and my 2005 Subaru is developing some rust around the corners of the windshield. The paint is bubbling in spots from what I assume is corrosion underneath. The rest of the car looks great.

Any suggestions on what to do here? We do rustproofing every year, but that's primarily for the underside, inside the doors and wheel wells and trunk area. This seems like the kind of thing a body shop would be able to handle. Is this a big job (i.e. remove windshield, etc.?) or something that can be handled at home.

Thanks.

Yelo

Monkey
Aug 3, 2008
Quebec city, Quebec, Canada
You'll have to remove the windshield to do a decent job... My guess would be to take it to body shop to have the job done, that's what I did the last time....

And keep in mind that it will come back sooner or later... Sorry to tell you that :(

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Appreciate the feedback. Yelo, what did it cost you last time? I'm in mtl. I assume it won't need a full repaint - just those areas.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah if it's rusting there it probably would have started under the window rubber, if you don't fix it now it will just get harder and harder to repair.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Problem you will encounter with rust like that is that you will not know how far underneath the paint the rust goes untill you start to dig in. You might, repeast Might, find yourself having some of the body panels in need of replacement, and might find yourself in need of a complete paint job. You could be looking at a few hundred dollars, to a few thousand.......... You just never know untill you get it apart and start sanding.

Yelo

Monkey
Aug 3, 2008
Quebec city, Quebec, Canada
Appreciate the feedback. Yelo, what did it cost you last time? I'm in mtl. I assume it won't need a full repaint - just those areas.
Dirty mike pretty much says it all...

In my case, it's been a while since then and I did part of it myself since I work as a mechanic so price is not a good reference to you but I think it cost me like 2-300$...

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
I agree with dirtymike. Also if you've had your windshield replaced in the past, chances are the tools the installer used to remove the old windshield caused this rust issue. Sharp edged cutting tool scrapes the paint off on the inside of the frame, leaving bare metal which starts a rust problem. Best way to deal with it is to remove the windshield, and treat the rust on the inside of the frame, and re-paint before installing new glass.