Quantcast

Car stereo problem

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Wondered if you car audio monkeys might know of a solution for this...

I just installed a long-since-discontinued Blaupunkt Alaska RDM 168 in my girlfriend's car. She had the stereo in another car and I had never gotten around to installing it after she sold her old car.

Installation was smooth, and the stereo works perfectly, except for the fact that the display doesn't show anything. At all. The controls all work, and whatever connector pushes information to the display works, too, because I happen to have the same stereo and my faceplate fits and works fine.

The question is, how do I go about procuring a new faceplate? Ebay doesn't have anything. Google searches yield nothing. I'm sure Blaupunkt doesn't have anything, but even if they did, it'd cost me an arm and a leg.

Are there options I'm overlooking? Do other Blaupunkt faceplates fit older stereos? Am I just S.O.L.? It's not a big deal, but it'd be nice to know what station you were listening to and be able to set the menu options.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Give it the old "finger flick". I had an old Alpine where the display went out every once in a while and I would flick the display real hard and it would come back for a month or two.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Okay, followup:

I went out tonight to try the above listed suggestions. When I turned on the car (since its pitch black right now), I noticed that the display is extremely faint. You can just barely make out that it says something (you can't effectively read it, but when you do things like change the volume, you can tell it's saying "VOLUME").

So, it's not a bad connection - I checked the dimmer but it had no effect on it.

Any other ideas?

dexter, yeah, I know other stereos can be had for little money, but frankly, we don't drive the car enough to make it worthwhile. The stereo right now is free, display or no display :D

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Did you hook up the dimmer wire from the headunit to power or the dimmer switch? I know on some model decks if you don't hook that dimmer wire up to power or inline with the dimmer switch that it will be faint forever. If it use to work fine in another car and now it doesn't work fine I'd go over the wiring for it.

That's all I can think of, a wire is wired wrong OR isn't wired at all.