Quantcast

Carbine rear shock upgrade, am I crazy?

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
I'm sick of the CTD alphabet soup stuff on my Carbine. Never been happy with the way the Float rear shock performed, otherwise I love the bike. I was always really happy with the Vivid Air on my V10, aside from the air part of it. I like the way the new Monarchs feel, but I'm having trouble finding one in stock anywhere...am I crazy for wanting to just put a Vivid R2C coil shock on it?

The Carbine is now my only bike, so it sees double duty and I tend to #ENDURO pretty hard on it. I've always been extremely happy running even crappy coil shocks vs the latest greatest air shock fads.

Don't say CCDB AIR CS albabet soup either. It costs twice as much, and I really don't care about a 1 lb weight penalty on a 6" travel bike that only weighs like 28lbs to begin with.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i ended up settling on a Float X for now. it definitely doesn't heat up like the standard CTD shock did, and feels a lot better. i heavy fork hucked to flat one of the wood diving boards at snow summit on it the other day, had to have been 25-30ft out from the take off and it took it totally in stride. turned the guy watching at the bottom white as a ghost, and i just kept on pedaling...the air can tuning chips are pretty cool to play with too.

time will tell durability wise, i might still spring for an RC4...they just feel so crazy plush.

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
I am a coil fan my self. But I think its more the CTD your hating and not the air bit. Personally I hated the newest CTD shocks from Fox. I also dislike the CTD forks for that matter. Perhaps Avalanche Racings new valve kit may the way to go? Dump the CTD in favour of some proper damping?

andy_n

Chimp
Mar 12, 2003
Running a Debonair Monarch plus on mine, best upgrade I have ever made. Plus it is a perfect match for the Pike.