Quantcast

Carbon bars... eh, anyone?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Sometimes a day or 2 after riding I will have stiff wrists... I play the drums & work on a computer so this is a pretty bad thing. Would carbon bars help aleviate this, or is the vibration dampening so minute that its not even worth the $$.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
If you have a susp fork? IMO, any damping effects are negligable at best. Think about it.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
Carbon bars will not only make your wrist pain go away, but you will appear more attractive to prospective mates.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I hear carbon bars are the next big thing. They are going to replace all those trendy oxygen bars the hipsters are going to these days. Still no substitute for a good milk bar though.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
might be mental, but i thought switching from alu to carbon made a small difference.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Never noticed a difference with carbon bars but adjusting a the fork or tire pressure sure makes a difference for me. The wrist pain may not be related to the bar material but have you changed the sweep by changing bars or even rotating them differently?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I have to agree with MB. Carbon bars might some difference, but I didn't suffer from wrist problems before or after switching.

I would think position is more important.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
You may want to consider some of the new ergo grips instead. They make a world of difference from what i hear and they feel great on my neighbors bike. His seem to have issues slipping on the locking design, not sure what brand though.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
There are numerous things you can try before blaming it on aluminum.

The problem could lie in the thickness of your grips.

Could possibly be the position of your brakes and gears.

Could possibly be the fact that you are gripping too hard on your bars, make a concerted effort to be more loose if you are.

Could be you need bar ends to help your grip out ergonomically.

Could be you have carpal tunnel.

Could be the your stem length and position.

Could be your bars are cut too short.

Probably more but i can't think of anything else.......

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
golgiaparatus said:
Sometimes a day or 2 after riding I will have stiff wrists... I play the drums & work on a computer so this is a pretty bad thing. Would carbon bars help aleviate this, or is the vibration dampening so minute that its not even worth the $$.
I occasionally get RSI in my hands, wrists forearms and shoulders from being a full-time computer monkey, and occasionally riding or stuff like playing squash can make it worse if it is bad already. I control it to the point where if I'm good I have no symptoms by: staying hydrated, massage, stretching and regular exercise. Dunno if this'll help in your case.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Skookum said:
There are numerous things you can try before blaming it on aluminum.

The problem could lie in the thickness of your grips.

Could possibly be the position of your brakes and gears.

Could possibly be the fact that you are gripping too hard on your bars, make a concerted effort to be more loose if you are.

Could be you need bar ends to help your grip out ergonomically.

Could be you have carpal tunnel.

Could be the your stem length and position.

Could be your bars are cut too short.

Probably more but i can't think of anything else.......
You got it covered......