Quantcast

carbon bars + ODI lock-ons....bad idea?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i looked on Easton's site and saw no mention of lock-on grips. did see bar-ends, though. should lock-ons be avoided, or just installed carefully?

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
don't do it....

do not Do it....

install a normal set of grip with glue or even better safety wire if require, but don't put any kind of surfase tension that you don't need on a carbon bar..

well it you are going to do it round out all the edges of the lock-ons so is no sharpness anywere that can damage the surfase (this is not for looks Only for structural reasons..)

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
patineto said:
don't do it....

do not Do it....

install a normal set of grip with glue or even better safety wire if require, but don't put any kind of surfase tension that you don't need on a carbon bar..
I've been doing it for years, on a number of different bikes (trail and DH) without a single problem.

Carbon is much stronger than many people give it credit for...

I also have been using carbon windsurfing masts for years with booms that clamp and compress the mast.

The topic does bring many Chicken Little warnings to the forefront however.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
justsomeguy said:
I've been doing it for years, on a number of different bikes (trail and DH) without a single problem.

Carbon is much stronger than many people give it credit for...

I also have been using carbon windsurfing masts for years with booms that clamp and compress the mast.

The topic does bring many Chicken Little warnings to the forefront however.
well I made Airplanes out of Composites for a few years and i see stuff happend that will make you stay away from this "wondermaterial" forever...

beside Windsurf mass are design to take the pounding,, well somehow I have about five or six of those broken tubes i use for racks..

I'm just saying, don't do it if you don't need besides safety wire and thick grips are so much nicer than the skinny cushion on the lock on grips....

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
the Inbred said:
god damn. my search skills suck.

nevermind. i searched yesterday before that thread was posted. so :eviltongu
Heh heh.

Patineto, can you expand a bit on why it's a bad idea? I understand that it will fail, but can you explain a bit about why it will fail? Something simple, please. :D (By the way, I do appreciate that you take time to explain stuff like this.)

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Ciaran said:
Didn't we cover this in the Mechanics Q & A forum? http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149604 :p

My question to Patenito is the same that Wumpus asked in the other thread... Why not? We clamp down shifters and brake levers? What's the difference?
well first of all if the bar is well design, they take into account that people are going to clamp the bars with a stem and also istall the brake perches(in a certain part of the handlebar) but they will also keep the bars lighter with also better dampening caracteristic by tapering the Grip part (Placing less layers of material) to a lesser wall thickness of the carbon

Do i make sense..!?!?
basically you have two diameter transitions, the one that everybody can see from 31.8MM to 22MM (or 25.4) but is also a internal diameter that varies, that is control by the amount of carbon fibre wall thickness at each specific point of the bar and also the type of fabric selected for the specific aplication (put it this way,, when i was working with this stuff we have about 60 diferent references of carbon fibree fabrics,, yes some of them were just diferent densities but also someof them have better 3-D performance, compression dampen springness,,, well you get the idea it is Rocket Scince...

again if the bars are cheap carbon it does not mattter much since the manufacture uses less sofisticated construction methods with the same amount and kind of material at every stage of the bars, when the well made ones, have more material were they need it and less were they do not. (for example the grip area,, unless they are design for barend use) so they can take some of the pounding by micro bending..

exagerating a little Carbon fibre acts like a piece of glass when you scrive it (mark it with a Diamond cutter) and will tend to generate stress risser and soner or latter break away on that section, the best thing to do to prevent that is to have taper progresive edges on the clamps so the bar does not have a sharp cutting edge and is able to bend with out being restricted it by the clamp...

or maybe i'm just to hightech and the planes i was working were pushing the edge of the materials (Experimental Cannard planes and small race airplanes) were on bicycle parts the safety margins are some how higher and the technology not as cutting edge do to the price point issues..

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Ciaran said:
Heh heh.

Patineto, can you expand a bit on why it's a bad idea? I understand that it will fail, but can you explain a bit about why it will fail? Something simple, please. :D (By the way, I do appreciate that you take time to explain stuff like this.)
I think I just did on the posting above.. i'm not really a expert with this stuff but I did work with a few Engeniers with PHD's in composite Materials

just remeneber the old Vitus, trek,,whatever bonded aluminum carbon frames , well most of those actually have the plug (lug) on the inside of the carbon tubes as opose to a external wrap around but the few that did generate fatigue breakoff do to the aluminum flexing (or not flexing) at a diferent rate than the carbon,, todays frames like the Calfees, Kestrels and OCLV are very reliable since the whole frame flexes at bends at unison generating a lot less tension on each particular segment..

to prove my point I have a kindergarden Fisics question for you guys.. (maybe i need to make a pole about this)

what do you think is a STRONGER a sequoia tree or a palm tree...!?!?!

in fact I just did ,,lets see what happends, here is the link to the poll

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Carbon doesnt belong on DH or FR bikes. I broke my EC70 in about a month of light riding

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Kanter said:
Carbon doesnt belong on DH or FR bikes. I broke my EC70 in about a month of light riding
ditto. my k-force carbons lasted 3 weeks trailriding/light FR before cracks started to form. back to aluminum i go:thumb:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Kanter, did you try to warranty them? just curious.
Easton said:
EASTON products are warranted to be free of defects in materials and workmanship. Easton aluminum handlebars are warranted for five (5) years from date of purchase. Easton carbon fiber handlebars are warranted for lifetime. Warranty is for the original owner only and proof of purchase is required. This warranty is in lieu of all other warranties. ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY ARE LIMITED TO THE DURATION OF THE EXPRESSED WARRANTY. Depending on individual state laws, the above exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific rights. You may have other legal rights depending on the state in which you reside.

Please consult the Contact Us page of the Easton web site <www.eastonbike.com> for warranty contact information. Select U.S. Dealers or International Distributors depending on your location.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
norco-freerider said:
ditto. my k-force carbons lasted 3 weeks trailriding/light FR before cracks started to form. back to aluminum i go:thumb:
yeah but thats also because the bars look like toothpicks compared to you. :p

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
McGRP01 said:
One of my teammates rode all last season with a set of ODI Rogues on a FSA carbon bar.
Yep, I raced a whole season on an FSA Carbon DH bar with lock on grips. And had that stupid light CF-1 bar on my trail bike 2 years with no problems all with lock on grips.
Thick grips are for suckers.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I have had ODI lockons on Easton carbon bars on 2 bikes for 3 years with no problems... They are XC bikes though. Wouldn't do it for DH.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
This is a very broad generalization, but here goes....

Carbon and metal are very different. (with me so far?)

When applied correctly (ie: emphasizing their respective strong suits), both are excellent. But to swap one directly for the other.....well, I'm not sure that's a good idea. Handle bars were designed to be a tube, clamped by a stem. This is a great application for aluminium.

But to swap it out for carbon directly, may not be the best way to go. The employ carbon for the steering apparatus for a bicycle, you'd almost need a paradigm shift. Go away from a tube clamped in a stem, and have a hollow, integrated bar and stem together....in some sort of airplane wing shape, that tapered down to the grips....that could be a good application for carbon.

But the apples and oranges comparison (and implemetation) of carbon and metal, could be ill-advised.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
MMike said:

When applied correctly (ie: emphasizing their respective strong suits), both are excellent. But to swap one directly for the other.....well, I'm not sure that's a good idea. Handle bars were designed to be a tube, clamped by a stem. This is a great application for aluminium.

But to swap it out for carbon directly, may not be the best way to go. The employ carbon for the steering apparatus for a bicycle, you'd almost need a paradigm shift. Go away from a tube clamped in a stem, and have a hollow, integrated bar and stem together....in some sort of airplane wing shape, that tapered down to the grips....that could be a good application for carbon.

But the apples and oranges comparison (and implemetation) of carbon and metal, could be ill-advised.
Maybe some company will be able to figure out a way to manufacture carbon fiber handlebars for a mountain bike that are durable and light. That would be quite a feat.

Imagine if they could do if for something as weird shaped as a road handlebar.

I bet I'll have a flying car first. Drats.

J

JRB

Echo said:
I have had ODI lockons on Easton carbon bars on 2 bikes for 3 years with no problems... They are XC bikes though. Wouldn't do it for DH.
Shouldn't you be replacing those before long???

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
MMike said:

Interesting.

i'll still side with Kanter's broad generalization that carbon should be avoided in FR and DH and take it further for any aggressive riding for anyone wieghing over 200lbs. (That's about equivalent to a 90 kilogram rider not including excessive body hair.)

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I have been running carbon bars on everything for years now, it just depends on how brutal you are on bars. On my DH bike I have Answer protaper carbons and ODI lock ons, this set-up hasn't changed in over 2 years. Use your best judgement and you'll probably come out just fine.