Quantcast

Carbon Fibre XC fork with a disc brake

Discussion in 'The Shop' started by sanjuro, Sep 18, 2005.

1. sanjuro

sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    I am thinking about getting a multi-purpose hardtail, and one consideration is putting a rigid fork on for the winter months so I have a bad-weather road bike.

There are plenty of steel, alu, and ti forks to choose from, but one relatively low cost option is a Winwood carbon fork. Considering I am going to use a disc brake, has anyone used one of these forks?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Grizzle

Grizzle Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    carbon forks are cool and all, but what i don't like about them is that if they fail it is a catastrophic failure. Maybe its just me, but i do not want my fork to snap in half, i would rather have a fork that would bend first.

3. sanjuro

sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    Metal is certainly more reliable. However, carbon forks are quite common on the road. I am curious about the wear and tear with a disc brake.

4. patineto

patineto The RM Mad Scientist

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Many tandems come with carbon forks, many of them are disc compatible.

this is a good place to start your search, but let me know if you need something more specific..

I do agree with the rest of the guys, I much rather have a nice cromoly fork the problem is to find something like a fatchance fork that is disc compatible and have the old "Alive" feel and not the ultra rigid feel of the current DJ forks.

5. sanjuro

sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    Well, I would probably get cute and ride some singletrack or go down a staircase with my carbon fork, and find myself face planted with only lycra to protect.

If I feel need to go rigid, mayble Ti!!!!