Quantcast

Carbon Fibre XC fork with a disc brake

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am thinking about getting a multi-purpose hardtail, and one consideration is putting a rigid fork on for the winter months so I have a bad-weather road bike.

There are plenty of steel, alu, and ti forks to choose from, but one relatively low cost option is a Winwood carbon fork. Considering I am going to use a disc brake, has anyone used one of these forks?

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
carbon forks are cool and all, but what i don't like about them is that if they fail it is a catastrophic failure. Maybe its just me, but i do not want my fork to snap in half, i would rather have a fork that would bend first.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Metal is certainly more reliable. However, carbon forks are quite common on the road. I am curious about the wear and tear with a disc brake.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Many tandems come with carbon forks, many of them are disc compatible.

this is a good place to start your search, but let me know if you need something more specific..

I do agree with the rest of the guys, I much rather have a nice cromoly fork the problem is to find something like a fatchance fork that is disc compatible and have the old "Alive" feel and not the ultra rigid feel of the current DJ forks.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, I would probably get cute and ride some singletrack or go down a staircase with my carbon fork, and find myself face planted with only lycra to protect.

If I feel need to go rigid, mayble Ti!!!!