Quantcast

Carbon frames - quality differences?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
If you are buying a major brand carbon frame is there much difference in quality?

Looking at Scott, Giant, Specialized and the like. They all seem to have similar prices. It really seems like carbon is the material to choose with more choices.

Hopefully I have my first road bike in almost 20 years by next week :)

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Different types of carbon, and different lay up configurations can produce different ride qualities. I ride Scott bikes and I really like them

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Ride quality is difficult for me to evaluate before I get a bike to ride for some time since I really have no reference point. Is there such a thing a fun bike?

I guess a complaint bike that will not give me too much butt pain is a good start :-) I am 156lbs so I don't think stiffness of the bike will be an issue.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
My Lapierre X-Lite is super soft, yet super stiff. My Tarmac Pro will not be super soft, but will be stiffer. There are some flexy frames for sure. The Roubaix by Spec is a soft ride. Pretty sure the Defy carbon bike is too. I know ire likes Scott, as to many, but I find them unimpressive in the short time I have spent on them. Lots of stuff to choose from though.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Is there such a thing a fun bike?
Yes...BH G4

Carbon is carbon...it's the tube shapes and sizes that will affect the ride. I find SL2s to be uncomfortable. Cannondale Super Six is a little more comfy but still solid. My BH Connect is a good neutral ride. The short time I've spent on Pinarellos (Paris and Prince) yields a smooth bike, but funky geometry.

My opinion of Giant is poor due to some of their bikes that I've worked on (has nothing to do with ride quality...).

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I know ire likes Scott, as to many, but I find them unimpressive in the short time I have spent on them.
You're just jealous of my Addict CX :p I think there is such thing as a "fun" bike, but my fun bikes always tend to be my cross bikes due to the versatility.

<edit> Depending on how much you're looking to spend you might look at the Colnago C40...nice frame with classic styling (lugged carbon)

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yes...BH G4

Carbon is carbon...it's the tube shapes and sizes that will affect the ride. I find SL2s to be uncomfortable. Cannondale Super Six is a little more comfy but still solid. My BH Connect is a good neutral ride. The short time I've spent on Pinarellos (Paris and Prince) yields a smooth bike, but funky geometry.

My opinion of Giant is poor due to some of their bikes that I've worked on (has nothing to do with ride quality...).
I have not seen any BH for sale.

You're just jealous of my Addict CX :p I think there is such thing as a "fun" bike, but my fun bikes always tend to be my cross bikes due to the versatility.

<edit> Depending on how much you're looking to spend you might look at the Colnago C40...nice frame with classic styling (lugged carbon)
Love Colnago but over my budget this time.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have not had a road bike in the last 20 years. I just seems like most frames are made of carbon thus larger selection equals better pricing (shopping for a used bike). I have no problem with other materials except if its as soft as the 1996 Litespeed Obed XC hardtail I had. Saw what looked like a nice steel carbon combination from vicious cycles but I don't know anything about the company and thought the price was too high for the bike offered. Also sticking to major brands I can find them in shops and try the sizing before I buy.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
One way to think about it is "Who is actually making your frame?" Giant makes several companies frames, and I believe Specialized is one of them.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
German bike tests makes US bike magazine look like 3 grade show and tell. I used to buy the German Bike in the 90s and yes some very extensive testing. Unfortunately at the end I think the 3 grade show and tell approach works out equally as good.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
One way to think about it is "Who is actually making your frame?" Giant makes several companies frames, and I believe Specialized is one of them.
At one point or another, I think I've heard of every bike manufacturer being accused of having their bike made by Giant. I was under the impression Merida made Specialized's carbon bikes(and the C'dale Rush). Are they sourcing their bikes to Giant?

CBJ, quality-wise they're gonna be close. But depending on model and intended usage they'll be different in lateral stiffness, ride quality, and geometry.