Quantcast

carbon guards

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Downhiller said:
does anyone know who make and where to buy and how much $$ will cost carbon guards for shiver dc 05,

thx
why carbon....they're mostly definitely going to be more expensive and they are designed to take abuse....why pay more for a part that is destined to be thrashed?...D

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
The stock guards work fine. Look into PVC piping if you want complete all around protection. Go-ride also has some after market guards. Risse Racing makes carbon guards for their forks, not sure if they will work, youd have to call.

skin6061

Chimp
Jan 4, 2005
I thought about making myself a pair of carbon gaurds for my shiver, the only reason was to give me something to do during winter and the cool factor, they would really serve no other purpose than that. But if someone has a mold allready for them i might be willing to buy a set if there cheap enough. if you come across anyone let me know also

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Downhiller said:
what else you recomend ??

i have common guards on shiver and just for style of my bike i am looking to change that..

well you can keep the stock guards and buy carbon stick-on...that way you will still get that carbon look...D

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
BMXman said:
well you can keep the stock guards and buy carbon stick-on...that way you will still get that carbon look...D
I'm pretty sure Pep Boys carries such an item. I've seen a few Honda Civics with carbon tape all over the hood...

skin6061

Chimp
Jan 4, 2005
well after reading this forum and the comments that BMXman and blt2ride said about carbon stickons. I went to work the next day and made a 1 ply flat panel of red kevlar/carbon fiber hybrid to stick to my stock shiver gaurds. It took about 5 mins to make the panel and about 5 mins to cut and shape the pieces of carbon to fit the gaurd. Then got some 3m automotive trim tape to hold in place. sure did beat making a mold and making the whole thing from carbon.The carbon look, for about 5 bucks (that only cause i got the material free) So thank BMXman and blt2ride for the idea.

here is a pic of the bike with the carbon on the gaurds.

Fly

Monkey
Sep 17, 2005
skin6061 said:
well after reading this forum and the comments that BMXman and blt2ride said about carbon stickons. I went to work the next day and made a 1 ply flat panel of red kevlar/carbon fiber hybrid to stick to my stock shiver gaurds. It took about 5 mins to make the panel and about 5 mins to cut and shape the pieces of carbon to fit the gaurd. Then got some 3m automotive trim tape to hold in place. sure did beat making a mold and making the whole thing from carbon.The carbon look, for about 5 bucks (that only cause i got the material free) So thank BMXman and blt2ride for the idea.

here is a pic of the bike with the carbon on the gaurds.

So did you actually get carbon fibre/kevlar and make a laminate to go on top of your existing guards, or just a film of relative colour?

skin6061

Chimp
Jan 4, 2005
Fly said:
So did you actually get carbon fibre/kevlar and make a laminate to go on top of your existing guards, or just a film of relative colour?
It's real cabon fiber/kevlar hybrid. I cured it on a glass plate in a autoclave under 90psi for about 2 hrs. I just cured it as a flat panel, then i wraped it around the orginal gaurds and secured it with 3m automotive trim tape.

Fly

Monkey
Sep 17, 2005
skin6061 said:
It's real cabon fiber/kevlar hybrid. I cured it on a glass plate in a autoclave under 90psi for about 2 hrs. I just cured it as a flat panel, then i wraped it around the orginal gaurds and secured it with 3m automotive trim tape.

Oh excellent, thanks mate, I just couldn't exactly understand what you meantn from your first post, thanks for the info.