Quantcast

carbon knockoff?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
71 degree on a 29" wheel bike design for a 100mm fork, pretty spot on for an xc bike.

I'm pretty sure there are folk here who had a go on chinese carbon rims without dying, I'm sure the frames will be ok too. Heavier than some branded options probably and witha less high quality finish but competitive.

The major issue I see with cheap, overseas carbon is the environmental affects. If the bikes are made in a factory which regards this issue then I see no issues.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
only a matter of time before we see a few more interesting knock offs. Some of the big factories in Taiwan are outsourcing there work to cheaper factories in china. Theres nothing the Chinese love to do more than copying other peoples ideas. Well other than making more Chinese

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
well its probably from China, so the travel for the whole frame to the east coast would probably be around 10,000 miles.
you just won this thread for sure.

i think we are going to see an increase in these types of bikes very soon, and I bet they arent bad...i do like supporting companies though, dont really support the knock off scene...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

i think we are going to see an increase in these types of bikes very soon, and I bet they arent bad...i do like supporting companies though, dont really support the knock off scene...
frames are probably made in the same factories as a lot of other carbon frames for US companies, but are lacking 2 crucial things:

-better QC
-warranties / CS

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

I think so too, and I hope it drives the cost of ridiculous frame prices down. Either that, or encourages companies to reconsider US manufacturing. I may be the only person on this forum that gives a **** about US/non-outsourced manufacturing though. Oh well...

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
When I worked for a big online retailer we got a bunch of no name carbon frames as samples for the house brand. One of the FS XC frames snapped after a couple mellow test ride. Both chainstays broke after a marketing guy was riding it in the parking lot. The break was so clean it looked it had been saw through. We got another sample with a redesigned chainstay. Samething happened except this time the bike hadn't seen dirt.

I would be very cautious about no name stuff from China.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Yes I am sure it is for frames, it is because of anti dumping laws here in The Netherlands, instead of the normal 4.7% duties, they charge 48%, it is only for products from China
Something similar is in place in the UK

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
only a matter of time before we see a few more interesting knock offs. Some of the big factories in Taiwan are outsourcing there work to cheaper factories in china. Theres nothing the Chinese love to do more than copying other peoples ideas. Well other than making more Chinese
It's more like all of them. The sticker is going to say "Made in Taiwain" because that is where everything is assembled, but if you own a carbon frame from any popular brand the actual frame fabrication and finishing was almost certainly done in China.

Many of these 'catalog' bikes as they are often called are really just each factory's way of showing their manufacturing capabilities to potential customers. It might surprise a few people to learn just how much of the design work originates in Taiwan and not in the West.

That said, I'd be skeptical of buying a tradeshow/display frame made of either carbon or aluminum.