I just picked up some wider bars and am a bit paranoid
that I might start clipping trees. I also need new dh gloves
so thought it might be a good idea to get some extra
knuckle protection.

Any recommendations on what's working well for people
in the carbon knuckle glove department?
I have no idea what's out there yet

Thanks

On a side note good to see the world cup season starting out again :)

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
I used the rockgardn fates for a few months last season. They've got more carbon armor than most other gloves I've seen, and the "gliding knuckle plate" or whatever they call it works wonderfully. Your knuckles never feel as if they're being pinched against the carbon. they're also comfortable and I don't remember them getting overly hot or anything.

These get my vote for a heavily armored glove.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I've used the sixsixone gracia's and they have held up well. I also use and like the tld ones, but they are technically made for supermotard racing. I don't recommend them in the wet since the type of leather they are made of gets pretty slippery. In the dry they are great though.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I have an old pair of Specialized Fortress gloves that I still loan out to friends, ride with, and do yardwork with. They are unbelievably long lasting, and have a padded palm.

As I've done more and more riding, I actually prefer a thin, pad-less glove now, because I like the more natural feel, but the Specialized Fortress Gloves are amazing.

I also have two pairs of Gracia 661's, and they're awesome too. They're the most comfortable.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I tried a few different pairs of carbon knuckle gloves and settled on the Dakine Defenders: http://www.dakine.com/gloves/bike/defender/

But. I found that I needed to try out several different pairs, because they don't fit the same. I suppose you could say that gloves are like saddles and are a very personal thing. It's also hard to see which ones fit the best in the shop, because it usually takes a few hours of riding before they start to rub and become painful... Last suggestion, make sure you don't get them too small.

Good luck.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I have some white FOX gloves with the carbon knuckles that i use. THey work great. I think they were around $50. I have a pair for riding DH and a pair for riding XC.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have the 661 gracias also and they have been fine for me. Some people complained about them, but I suspect that they spent too much time sliding down trails on their asses than riding down them. :busted:

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
how much padding on the palm do the Rockgardn gloves have? Because I dont like padding between my hand and the grip. I currently have Oakley gloves (no carbon) and it is just thin material without stitches or padding and I like that very much. But I (almost) broke some knuckles when I hit a tree with my 760mm bars.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
i tried the da kine carbon knuckle gloves. they were OK. they didn't last long, and the fingers are designed for sausages....to stubby for my hand.

after those gloves, i bought some of the new specialized fortress gloves. this gloves fit my hands far better than the da kine. much more comfortable.

so, if you have long skinny fingers, i recommend the specialized. if you have short stubby fingers, the da kine gloves will fit you well.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
I have liked my Rockgardn fates a lot, they're a bit tattered after a season or two but still in good enough condition for a cheap person like me not to get another pair. I can't remember ever really smashing my hand with them on, I guess that means they're doing their job, and I'm sure I'll be glad to have them once I switch to wider bars.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
anybody with input on shift moto gloves? i felt some at highland and they were the b.tch's tits but i didn't pick up a pair. I'm very picky about the way my gloves fit, and fox no longer fits my hand. I don't really care if I have to buy three pairs per year, so long as they fit the way they should, and don't bunch up at the palm or have too short fingers.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have an old pair of Specialized Fortress gloves that I still loan out to friends, ride with, and do yardwork with. They are unbelievably long lasting, and have a padded palm.

As I've done more and more riding, I actually prefer a thin, pad-less glove now, because I like the more natural feel, but the Specialized Fortress Gloves are amazing.

I also have two pairs of Gracia 661's, and they're awesome too. They're the most comfortable.
My Fortress gloves are still going strong too. I love em. Mine are on their 3rd season. I use to go through a couple pairs of other gloves every year. I love the Fortress gloves.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
anybody with input on shift moto gloves? i felt some at highland and they were the b.tch's tits but i didn't pick up a pair. I'm very picky about the way my gloves fit, and fox no longer fits my hand. I don't really care if I have to buy three pairs per year, so long as they fit the way they should, and don't bunch up at the palm or have too short fingers.
Shift fits me well, and old Fox was my favorite.