Quantcast

Carbon, of the non-bling variety.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
I was dropping my street wheels off to have new tires put on and a big piece of rolling carbon came back from a shake down drive. Bad timing on my part, I could have gone along for the ride if I had been there 45 minutes earlier.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
justsomeguy said:
big piece of rolling carbon came back from a shake down drive. Bad timing on my part, I could have gone along for the ride if I had been there 45 minutes earlier.
I'm completely baffled by this. Is there a layman version?

Looks pretty spiffy though.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
BAH said:
I'm completely baffled by this. Is there a layman version?
  • I could have gone along on the shake down drive, if I had been there 45 minutes earlier, because that's when it was taken on the shake down drive.

• "big piece of rolling carbon" refers to the fact that the car uses a carbon tub (250lbs.), carbon structural pieces, carbon body pieces, etc.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
justsomeguy said:
  • "big piece of rolling carbon" refers to the fact that the car uses a carbon tub (250lbs.), carbon structural pieces, carbon body pieces, etc.
Got it. I was thinking the car was yours. You didn't have to remove the license plate thought, blurring it out would have been just fine....

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
maxyedor said:
But spacers help keep your headset tight, and the stem at the right height. The line seams fuzzy to me.
...and the same function can be done by aluminum spacers, with minimal weigh penalty. They just don't look as "cool."

A good example of blingy automotive carbon would be something like a carbon center console/shift knob. There's no weight savings (it's just a laminate over thermoplastic) or other benefits, but it looks "cool."

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
justsomeguy said:
...and the same function can be done by aluminum spacers, with minimal weigh penalty. They just don't look as "cool."

I disagree. I've had some aluminum spacers corrode and fuse to the steerer tube. :mumble:

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
maxyedor said:
Exactly, and a car can be made out of alloy. at minimal weight penalty.
The weight difference would be quite significant on such a large scale, especially when you consider the amount of extra material that would be need to make that car as rigid, using aluminum.

Just look at tthe weight difference between the lightweight aluminum road frames and the lightweight carbon frames and multiply from there.

--sneakysnake, no full body shot. Just go to google images and search Carrera GT.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Tuoche' on the road frame analogy, but what is the weight difference between the Ford Gt and the Carrera Gt?

All I'm saying is that all carbon is bling, and most all carbon has some funtional reason to be carbon, except of course frame anti-wear patches, and carbon knuckel gloves.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
maxyedor said:
Tuoche' on the road frame analogy, but what is the weight difference between the Ford Gt and the Carrera Gt?
Depending upon the source of the curb weight info the Ford is around 300-500lbs heavier, which is significant.

p.s. Carbon knuckles are the roxzors and don't chafe as much as aluminum knuckles, although both materials should provide the same amount of knuckle protection.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Odd coincidence, there was a GT parked on the street in front of our office building this afternoon. Sweet geezus it's hawt.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Actually "Real" composites are Always Painted.

well not always, But is Not done for the Bling but because the paint is to heavy

The Naked Truth

the heart of the matter

actaully here are a few more pictures

and to make you guys full of envy I got to ride In One of this little monster, a few laps (2 1/2 to be exact) Around the Periferic In the city of Paris thanks to my friend Pete that have some very serius connections in the industry..

at the time he tells me only four of them exist and three of them were in paris for the international car show, aparentlly they were having trouble with the tyres delaminating from the carcass do to the little "Extra Power" of the i think V16 engine or something stupid like that

the funny part is that I don't even like cars that much, but i bet some of you guys will dye to even look at one of this Buggati things in the flesh..

Enjoy

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
that engine block makes me hot. its kind of funny this came up because on the way home from the movies when i was driving a bit above the speed limit (wont give the exact speed for all those people annoyed by fast drivers) and i noticed how twitchy my accord was getting i was thinking about how much fun a true sports car would be. i would love to just be in the presence of a carrera gt. not too many nice cars up here in new england though. :(

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
It's rediculous the amount of Fernando Alonso fever Spain has going on right now. He's in almost every TV add, and just looks like a dorky, hairy little kid. And next year, it will be Dani Pedrossa fever all over again. We watched the 2nd MotoGP race this afternoon. It's quite fun to watch Sete, you never know when he's going to blow up. Makes me want to go for a bike ride.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Nothing would make a weight difference in my truck, mine is all for looks.

Looks like some nice parts.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I saw a Carrera GT in person a few months ago and boy did it change my opionion of that car! That thing was hawt.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
justsomeguy said:
It's functional, rather than merely cosmetic.
I disagree. Functional would be removing those door cards. How much weight did he save by going with carbon door card, my guess is not that much at all.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
dfinn said:
I disagree. Functional would be removing those door cards. How much weight did he save by going with carbon door card, my guess is not that much at all.
What is a "door card"?

BTW, "he" didn't "go" with anything. That's a stock car.