Quantcast

carbon rims for life?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
@norbar: I view my CX- rays as an investment. Never used Revolutions, however I read/heard that due to stretching, wheels need to be trued often. With my CX-Rays this has never been the case. They have maintained tension for 3 years if you can believe it, also I exploded rear rim, switched the spokes (which were completely ok) to a new rim and keep on rocking. So if there ever was a spoke worth its money that has to be it. Btw I weigh 220#.
Not that true with 823s and a good wheelbuilder makes a huge differance. On my old wheel the spokes stretched a bit. Now I have a rear wheel built by a local wheel freak and I hardly have to tension them.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Thanks for the reply Stabprimo, turns out they made Ti rims in the 70's and they were crap but I imagine a carbon rim would have been crap if they made it in the seventies too.

Oh I have two sets of wheels built with CX-Ray spokes too, great minds think alike eh?

Neither of us have added any useful info to this thread and if you think you have you are as clueless as you assume I am.

Last edited:

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
when the prices on carbon rims are down to maybe double of a "best" quality alu rim, i will consider trying some, but untill then, im going to stick to with regular rims :)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
my point was in reference to the several cracked carbon rims and destroyed wheels floating around in this thread and all over the internet. those would have likely, in my opinion, also destroyed an aluminum rim (see cam cole a few posts up).
Actually you might be wrong on that one. The DT rim I posted was rumored to be only slightly sideways loaded from a trial styles move to get around a tight switchback (lifting rear wheel around the switchback while doing a stoppie). So no high speed impact and such. And personally I have never seen a rim cracked at the valve hole, so there is something unusual going on with this rim.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Actually you might be wrong on that one. The DT rim I posted was rumored to be only slightly sideways loaded from a trial styles move to get around a tight switchback (lifting rear wheel around the switchback while doing a stoppie). So no high speed impact and such. And personally I have never seen a rim cracked at the valve hole, so there is something unusual going on with this rim.
fair enough. cracking thru the valve stem implies some form of funny business for sure. layup related likely. i would assume DT sent a warranty rim the same day it was called in.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The difference in quality and durability between a DT and Enve rim is very significant.
All of Enve's composite products are all significantly better in terms of strength and function than any other vendor. The fact that they are the only people to manufacture rims in North America is pretty important to me.

Anecdote:
I've been using the XC rims for slalom, dirthumping and the occasional day of hardtail DH at Highland as well as general xc and all-mountain style trail riding. This is the 3rd year. They just now need some retensioning. I'll have to pull the rim strip and spend 20 minutes spinning nipples...
Another friend of mine has 2 years of the same stuff plus 20+ XC races on his wheels.
Both of us are wheel smashers when we ride metal rims.

We should be running the AM rims because we've had a few tires pop off the rim due to stiffness. With the King hubs we're both running I expect to get infinte service life with proper maintenance. Obviously I shouldn't be using them for this application.
I'd use AM rims for DH if I could afford to replace rims if I crack a few.
As far as I know the main problem with using AM rims for DH at the moment is that they are too stiff and cause pinch flats. The risk of smashing the rim to death is still there- in my experience it seems to be a pretty small risk unless you are going pro-fast or you're not very good at riding...

Why are carbon rims so awesome?
In order:
-Stiffness
-Damping
-Weight
-Durability

We don't flat our XC rims. The plasticity of the rims means that the rim tends to "get out of the way" before you pinch.

Just like in road competitors are going to need to start thinking about their wheels as a whole separate investment than a bike. They cost just about as much as a frame and fork, but they're also equally important.

Don't try carbon wheels. It'll ruin you.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I've just found, in local distributor 2012 catalogue Easton Havoc Carbon wheels.

The set weighs 1560g (claimed)! But the price will be very high, I am afraid.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I dunno,carbon has lots of great comfort properties ( flex/comfort ) but downhill wheel with tight spokes,i'm not so sure I want to go adventuring.Considerng the pro's bikes get new wheels every few races.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I dunno,carbon has lots of great comfort properties ( flex/comfort ) but downhill wheel with tight spokes,i'm not so sure I want to go adventuring.Considerng the pro's bikes get new wheels every few races.
Considering Easton offers a no questions asked (ie. they will replace it even if you wheel fell under a bus) I doubt you have reasons to worry.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Interesting.

As a user of the non carbon 2011 Havoc's on my trail bike (as at 1750g they are pretty light anyway), sadly my experience has been dire.

No end of trouble with wheels going out of true, spokes loosening, play in the hubs & a crappy build from new. They are so bad, with a normal dish the spokes on the disk side are too long (down to the base of the thread) before you can tension the wheel properly, thus pulling it out of true, or having it dished to the drive side in order to tension it at a remotely sensible level.

They finally went back this week for a full refund. I figure I can build a set of DT 240's/Flow's up to a similar weight (if not, slightly less). I've been running similar on my DH bike forever now & they are still going strong with minor trueing. I've trued these stupid Easton wheels more times in the last 2 months than I have wheels in the last 5 years.

Shame. That will teach me to go with factory wheels without factory support. Stick to what I know from now on. At least I can build them up myself properly.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Considering Easton offers a no questions asked (ie. they will replace it even if you wheel fell under a bus) I doubt you have reasons to worry.
I agree with 100% about easton backing its products,and I know they make fantastic wheels ( we stock them and some guys here use ec90sl's on their pina's ) Maybe this will be my first set of proprietary wheels.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I saw a easton carbon rim shatter from heating being on a bike rack and the rim getting heat off the exhaust...they did warranty it though
We have a customer who is heavy on the brakes on his road bike,hes running 90SL's clinchers,and hes gone threw a few wheels,they warrenty them,but they even told us hey,tell him to get off the brakes,cause its just the design aspect of a carbon clincher heats up too much,specialy under heavy constant load

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Is anyone on here actually an Engineer with Carbon Fiber technical experience and knowledge??

if so only listen to them. As i think everyone else is just speculating.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I have been riding those DT 1550 wheels and the feel in drifty corners is pretty sweet. I can't describe it but I really like the feel of the carbon wheels in a drift. They are stiff and hold their line but with some finesse? Hard to explain... I think it will probably be the future if they can get cost down and durability up. I am definitely curious.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
i would love to try carbon wheels, but the cost is, even if they were everlasting, quite a bit too high considering how many reg good rims in alu you can get for the same money.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Is anyone on here actually an Engineer with Carbon Fiber technical experience and knowledge??

if so only listen to them. As i think everyone else is just speculating.
But it will crack if you look at it wrong!!! Oh wait, I fly a mostly carbon-fiber airplane all the time...

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
But it will crack if you look at it wrong!!! Oh wait, I fly a mostly carbon-fiber airplane all the time...

yeah and look, there's a plane crashing every time i turn on the tv. Fools, those carbon rims are $#!%

Send unwanted carbon rims to me. PM, I will reply with address.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
I dont know if anyone cares to, but the whole MTB community seems to forget that Carob is very veyr bad for the Enviroment. the manufacturing of it is harmful. And then how do you recycle it.

:-) Just putting my hippie bit in :-)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i would to would love to give a pair of the envy's a shot they are just superior to everything out there...

the cost is just so exponentially higher than a standard rim that it's tough to justify, im sure i'll own something similar at a point but not quite yet. Would love to lace these up to my i9's...ugh

ronnyg801

Chimp
May 27, 2009
I've just found, in local distributor 2012 catalogue Easton Havoc Carbon wheels.

The set weighs 1560g (claimed)! But the price will be very high, I am afraid.
Does anyone have any more info on the release of these? I have searched and haven't come up with anything...