Quantcast

Carbon seatpost, anyone using one for DH?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Why would you use a carbon post?

If you are worried about weight, just cut your post down to 3 inch length.

kellyn7

Monkey
Apr 12, 2005
San Diego
Why would you use a carbon post?

If you are worried about weight, just cut your post down to 3 inch length.
THat was my thoughts but then I saw a couple of pics of dh bikes with what looked like carbon seatpost. No intentions of using one just curious because I always heard using carbon seatpost on dh bikes wasn't a good idea.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
really, apart from crashes, seatposts on dh bikes don't see much stress (esp. at the short extensions we typically use). i've seen carbon posts on a few pros bikes. mine certainly hasn't been an issue (and has survived seat-impacting crashes). however not all carbon posts are light (thomson is lighter than a bunch of the cheaper carbon posts out there); verify weight before you buy.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Yeah I am not going to speak for anyone elses, but I was looking at the SDG stuff at the Nationals down here in Fontana, I was looking to get an Ibeam setup, and The SDG rep told me word for word.... Not on a DH bike, you want the alloy, save the carbon for Xc and AM.

I dont personally see it as something thats going to break on impact, Carbon has come along ways in the last few years. I dont think it will be much longer before we start seeing production carbon bikes!!!

poonstar

Monkey
Jan 6, 2008
my buddy is running a sdg i-beam carbon 30.9 post on his dh rig and he hasn't had any problems...there isn't any weight savings compared to my thompson cut down to similar length...other then the "wow" factor in the looks department.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Im running one with a road saddle, but only because i got it cheaper than a Thomson. No problems as of yet. Dont really spend alot of time on it.

Oct 14, 2007
my buddy is running a sdg i-beam carbon 30.9 post on his dh rig and he hasn't had any problems...there isn't any weight savings compared to my thompson cut down to similar length...other then the "wow" factor in the looks department.
but is the tiny WOW factor of the post worth the increase in probability of it failing? I dont know about you, for a man's who's already broken one I would say no

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Watching The Alien finish a race run with a carbon shiv stuck in his seat tube permanently dampened my desire to run a carbon post on my mountain bikes. DH bikes have a tendency to hit things particularly hard.

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
I have one that came on my bike, it's a titec carbon XC 30.9mm. I don't see how it good be beneficial, or a drawback. It's plenty strong, similar weight to a thomson.

Only reason I switched to thomson is because I needed a longer one.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Easton EC70 (carbon) 30.9, 400mm = 215g
Thomson Masterpiece (alloy) 30.9, 350mm = 189g

I know which one I'd have, and infact, do have...

PDS RX

Monkey
Sep 11, 2007
Richmond VA
I run an Easton EC70, it works and I don't worry about breaking it. The masterpiece is super nice and very light. The only thing with both those post is how easy it is to crush one with the seat collar. The masterpiece really scares me because that thing is stupid thin.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Weagle used to run one on his Jolly Ol' St. Nucleon BITD. I think it dropped the overall weight from 51 lbs to 50.995 lbs. ;)

--JP

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I used a Titec carbon post last year. Crashed and broke the metal clamp that holds the seat on but the post itself was unphased.