Quantcast

Carbon V10 with all the latest goodies - 33.5lbs

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Haha not quite!

It's that irritating piece of metal/plastic/carbon that hangs off the rear end! So many sexy ass dialled bikes being released at the minute but none of them have stepped far enough up and got rid of the rear mech, I'll stick with my Sunday until one does!
Hopefully Zerode will do that soon.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Damn, this could make me switch to Santa Cruz from Intens,e beauty! and good price, if it will really cost 2999
i doubt that it will be sold for EUR 2999 in Europa, even the carbon nomad is sold for over 3200 around here.....

but yeah the V 10 looks good, but the M9 looks even better IMO.....

compared to the new V10 the M9 - if it will be produced - will be a bargain!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i gave up hope on that bike. santa cruz will get my money for another V10.
i would have readily sent a deposit for a Zerode if there was somewhere to send it to
I think those guys were, at one point, friends with Aaron @ Lahar... even made of metal, that frame still just sucks up money and disappears.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I can't wait to see the MTBR builds with this frame.

"Sub-30 lb, 10" of travel do-it-all bike!"

XC rims
2.1 folding Nevegals
Totem 2step air
Vivid Air
Hammer****
Hite-Rite
etc

Ewwwwwwwwwww

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I think those guys were, at one point, friends with Aaron @ Lahar... even made of metal, that frame still just sucks up money and disappears.
its purportedly a copy of the Lahar too, but the Zerode looks 1000x better IMO.
i still would be a bit hesitant if i had to buy it from some place in NZ

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
just got a email reply back from SC about pricing and availability:
"The new V-10 lead time is probably into early next year. No idea on pricing"

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
its purportedly a copy of the Lahar too, but the Zerode looks 1000x better IMO.
i still would be a bit hesitant if i had to buy it from some place in NZ
oh I know, that's a bit of the joke. The hope was that these guys would produce the same frame in a more commercially accepted format and instead of spending customers money on meth and dinosaurs, actually mass-produce an awesome frame.

Instead there are some nice pictures floating around and a few rumors.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
curse of the gearbox.

really, it's all a conspiracy - the big derailleur manufacturers (sram & shimano) realize the gearbox would undermine the huge profits generated by selling heaps of dangly disposable hardware & they've systematically driven these guys out of business (just like big oil & the 100mpg carb inventors). it's true! aaron wasn't crazy!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hey, I was looking into starting a small business building internally geared hubs, which could also be mounted as a gearbox, and you know what? It NEVER TOOK OFF. Can you believe it? A small business failed before it started, building overly complicated parts, all crushed by a few derailleurs. It's unpossible.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
just got a email reply back from SC about pricing and availability:
"The new V-10 lead time is probably into early next year. No idea on pricing"
Well they needs to check the internet to find out what their pricing is. The forums have already set it for them.

Early next year? In SC talk that means June-July.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sandwich, sorry, but read for once again what XY wrote. And get over your hate for Aaron. :thumb:
No, I will absolutely not. I may freely continue to hate him until I get word that he went back in time and delivered every single person's frame he promised within three months of the estimated time or paid them back at the end of that time frame. Otherwise, I will continue to hate the bejesus out of him as though he took my own money, as he almost did.

As far as zerode, my comments are quite a bit tongue-in-cheek. I know those guys are or were working very hard to deliver their frame but ran into issues with production in Taiwan, then tried New Zealand, and then, I believe, tried to take production to the USA. It's an awesome design and neither of those guys bear any resemblance to Aaron but the fact of the matter is the design is very similar and *poof* it's unobtanium. My comment is a joke, get over it. I hope they do bring it to market as it's maybe #1-2 on my list of "Sh.t worth buying".

As for what XY9 said, I believe he was being facetious...shimano is not out to destroy anybody. Hell, they make the "internal transmission" (aka Alfine hub) that Zerode and most builders would use. The "curse of the gearbox" is more likely that every frame has been made by a small builder, ie Lahar, BCD, or Zerode, or has had terrible design features, like early Nicolais or the GT IT1. The new Nicolais look great, but #1 they are expensive and #2 the G-Boxx design isn't necessarily the best option for creative suspension design.

Back on topic, I think this new v10 may be a leap forward in frame design. I look forward to it hitting the market and seeing what people actually do with it. Santa Cruz has really been hitting the nail on the head with their frame design lately.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
cool to see a cut-away of the frame.

correct me if I'm wrong, but there shouldn't there be a alu/metal insert for the headset cups?
Yeah, that is interseting. I have only seen true carbon cups on road bikes and a few superlight XC rigs. And both those applications use drop-in bearings, not a press fit cup.

If the frame and headset cup dimensions are not very tightly controlled (within 0.001"), it could be hard to keep the HT from splitting, or your cup from not creaking. Carbon bores generally do not like having metal parts pressed into them.

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
Yeah, that is interseting. I have only seen true carbon cups on road bikes and a few superlight XC rigs. And both those applications use drop-in bearings, not a press fit cup.

If the frame and headset cup dimensions are not very tightly controlled (within 0.001"), it could be hard to keep the HT from splitting, or your cup from not creaking. Carbon bores generally do not like having metal parts pressed into them.
My carbon Blur LT doesn't have any metal inserts... It looks like layered carbon that's been reamed and is totally smooth/perfectly round. No issues on these bikes yet and they've been out a while now so probably not worth worrying about for the v10.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
My carbon Blur LT doesn't have any metal inserts... It looks like layered carbon that's been reamed and is totally smooth/perfectly round. No issues on these bikes yet and they've been out a while now so probably not worth worrying about for the v10.
Good to know. It is possible, just requires really good QC from both framemaker and headset maker. Less wiggle room than an alloy bike.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
No, I will absolutely not. I may freely continue to hate him until I get word that he went back in time and delivered every single person's frame he promised within three months of the estimated time or paid them back at the end of that time frame. Otherwise, I will continue to hate the bejesus out of him as though he took my own money, as he almost did.
I recall when you'd done a lot less internerding, and gained half a clue, that you used to bash products without knowing what the hell you were talking about. Therefore taking money from possibly honest business'(people).
and after bashing your Racelink because you had it set up wrong for what you wanted to do with it, I'd imagine Superco would be quite happy to not have you on their bikes.
and dobbing on me and getting me banned for a "PRIVATE" message I sent you asking you to STFU, while I was trying to help dudes get their Lahars.
Move on, don't try to claim your fame at someone elses expense.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I recall when you'd done a lot less internerding, and gained half a clue, that you used to bash products without knowing what the hell you were talking about. Therefore taking money from possibly honest business'(people).
and after bashing your Racelink because you had it set up wrong for what you wanted to do with it, I'd imagine Superco would be quite happy to not have you on their bikes.
and dobbing on me and getting me banned for a "PRIVATE" message I sent you asking you to STFU, while I was trying to help dudes get their Lahars.
Move on, don't try to claim your fame at someone elses expense.
Dude, I hate it when you talk, it's like nails on a chalkboard to me. I had you on block for a long time and that's where you're going again after I post this.

I apologize for making one single post where I assumed the racelink was a bad race bike for the wrong reasons. I still think it's short, tall, and too steep to be a race bike, whether I had it set up differently or not. I don't think Doc or anybody else who rode on would disagree. I tried to make it work, but it just wasn't possible to drop the bike into the realm of modern geometry. I promise you, if anybody made their decision to not buy a frame from a builder because of what one dude on the internet, of all places, had to say, then I feel worse for them than I do the builder. Keep superco out of this. I'm sure they would be happy to have anybody who loves bikes on their bikes, and that includes me. I never slagged the racelink, but I do admit I was wrong about it initially. You seem to really latch on to that fact.

Finally, after continually bumping the Lahar thread after one feller couldn't find his frame 15 months after ordering it, you sent me a PM calling me a "faggot" and "little ****". Very mature words from the troll I know it came from. I forwarded that along to a moderator for his review, and he decided you needed a bit of a vacation. YOU got YOURSELF banned, not me. If aaron ever pulled through, I wouldn't bump the thread, and we all would have moved on our merry little way. Since you seem to be BFF with the thief, you defended him religiously, even when he still didn't produce.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Can't wait till you 2 finally meet in person. gunna be a lotta turkey slappin going on.

The carbon Head tube is interesting. I don't have a problem with it but you would think it easier to get your tolerances right on an ally cup then bond that in rather than do it in situ like that.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Dude, I hate it when you talk, it's like nails on a chalkboard to me. I had you on block for a long time and that's where you're going again after I post this.Of late you have seemed to be contributing reasonable debate on here, so I can't say the same for you, accept for flogging the dead Lahar horse.

I apologize for making one single post where I assumed the racelink was a bad race bike for the wrong reasons. I still think it's short, tall, and too steep to be a race bike, whether I had it set up differently or not. This is true, but like you said, not what I'm talking about. By todays standards, the RL is a bad race bike. I don't think Doc or anybody else who rode on would disagree.Obviously, as the Silencer was much more evolved and racey, geo wise. I tried to make it work, but it just wasn't possible to drop the bike into the realm of modern geometry. I promise you,Sticking with 24" wheels says enough about you "trying". if anybody made their decision to not buy a frame from a builder because of what one dude on the internet, of all places, had to say, then I feel worse for them than I do the builder.Likewise, but I'm sure it does happen. Keep superco out of this. I'm sure they would be happy to have anybody who loves bikes on their bikes, and that includes me.True, but not if they were criticized for the wrong reasons. I never slagged the racelinkI may be wrong, but I'm fairly certain you did., but I do admit I was wrong about it initiallyDoes this contradict the start of this sentence. You seem to really latch on to that fact.

Finally, after continually bumping the Lahar thread after one feller couldn't find his frame 15 months after ordering it, you sent me a PM calling me a "faggot" and "little ****". Very mature words from the troll I know it came from.I asked you to stop bashing Lahar as I was trying to get people their frames, and I didn't think a public witch was helping. I forwarded that along to a moderator for his review, and he decided you needed a bit of a vacation.It was a private message. YOU got YOURSELF banned, not me. If aaron ever pulled through, I wouldn't bump the thread, and we all would have moved on our merry little way. Since you seem to be BFF with the thiefDon't assume anything that you do not know., you defended him religiously, even when he still didn't produce.
I defended his genius, and tried to help people get their frames.
I think the Lahar is still miles ahead of every other bike in many ways. This bike is some proof to that.

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Alrighty then....

If you look at the warranty on the website it says:

WARRANTY:
LIFETIME CRASH REPLACEMENT + 2 YEAR DESIGN DEFECT/MANUFACTURING GUARANTEE

Which to me is no different than what they already offer - 2yr "real" warranty, after that the crash replacement bit is in place and you pay to have things replaced...albeit discounted somewhat.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
my buddy kept telling me how he saw a bunch of carbon V10's and new Demos at Whistler this past week

I still think it's short, tall, and too steep to be a race bike, whether I had it set up differently or not.
i agree too. i couldnt get used to how short the TT was and how tall the front end was in relation to the rest of the bike. BMW still continues with this formula it seems

Last edited: