Quantcast

Carbon V10

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
oops. not a thread though, just a post! =P im not in the wrong quite yet.

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
That's huge. In other words (according to SickLines frame weight page) a large V-10 frame weight will be dropping from 3708g (or 8.1 lbs) to 2808g (or 6.1 lbs).

The article also says "Production weights to be determined." so we'll see if those numbers stand up.

But suffice to say, between the new carbon frames and the carbon rims the Syndicate are running, they're pushing the envelope of DH race bike weight down pretty substantially. I would guess they're approaching low 30's on complete bikes.

Clearly SC are not following GT's philosophy of "carbon for strength, not weight"

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
So how far will this tide of bike weights go before people realize there is such a thing as too light for DH stability and the tide turns?...

It looks far better than before though. That's commendable.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
That's huge. In other words (according to SickLines frame weight page) a large V-10 frame weight will be dropping from 3708g (or 8.1 lbs) to 2808g (or 6.1 lbs).

The article also says "Production weights to be determined." so we'll see if those numbers stand up.
Hmmm, not sure this is apples to apples thought. They only said it was 900g less than what they raced last year. If that includes the coil shock and this one has the air, that could be a big part of the weight difference. I need to see pix of the old frame weighed with no shock up against the new one with no shock before I swallow this one hook line and sinker. I am not trying to sound like a hater, believe me, I want to believe, but it seems like every year the marketing BS gets thicker and craftier.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Slater - what's the ideal weight for DH stability? Just curious.
That is of course preference, point well taken. Super light bikes in the rough stuff just aren't as confidence inspiring for me as ones a touch heavier. I'm a fan of the 36-38lb range, with a good bit of that in the wheels and tires.

There are more factors than just weight though of course, such as Center of Gravity, weight distribution, sprung/unsprung ratio, etc. But overall I hear about 30 and 32 pound Dh bikes and am not so interested. We'll see if the rest of the market shares my sentiments or not.

Time will tell...

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm personally not ready to test carbon against the rocks of the east coast, but other than that, the lines and numbers on this bike look brilliant.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
this new bike geo looks like a plougher of note. very curious to see if it's still as poppy..

i can imagine the syndicate team saying to themselves: we need to the F1 of the WC. Let's bring bling to the battle.
Price premium anyone?

Last edited:

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
So sleek and fast looking, I was actually a fan of the last generation V10 but this one looks soo much better, clean, sleek, no non-sense. I especially like the little fender/ shock cover that they have going on back there, the carbon mini fender looked cool but didn't really do much as far as keeping the shock clean, this new cover is similar to what I had been using over the rear triangle in the past, only mine was an old piece of inner-tube.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
I'm personally not ready to test carbon against the rocks of the east coast, but other than that, the lines and numbers on this bike look brilliant.
Hopefully this bike will finally dispense those ideas. The GT carbon DH rig has already been hanging tough, but SC has a much bigger following and name in the DH game.

A rock hit that will crumple, dent, and dessimate an alloy tube will barely scratch a well designed carbon DH frame. I bet that thing is almost .500" thick in spots, compare that to an alloy frame w/ wall thickness of less than 0.125". And it is way lighter and stiffer.

This is not a 1000 gram carbon hardtail, it is a beast.

Back in the bike shop days we had a section of carbon tube cut from a bike. When customers had comments such as this about carbon frames ("it's going to shatter under a rock impact") we would hand them the carbon tube and a big ol' hammer and tell them to have at it. No one was ever able to even come close to damaging it. Then we would give them an alloy tube and they would squash it flat like a bug. Lesson was easily learned.

A 900 gram road bike may break under impact, this will not. It is all about design intent.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Clearly SC are not following GT's philosophy of "carbon for strength, not weight"
The carbon bikes are stronger AND lighter. The LT and Nomad frames blow the aluminum versions away in terms of strength and stiffness, and they happen to be lighter too. And even though it's significantly lighter, they say they were unable to break the new V10 frame with their typical testing. All the SC carbon bikes are overbuilt on purpose.

As for DH bikes getting "too light", well, that's a matter of opinion, but since most of us won't be spending the coin for all the super light parts hanging on the WC rider's rigs, I'd say dropping more weight out of the frame is a damn good thing. The frames will be pricey, sure, but that's a one-time thing, and with an average build kit you can still have a light rig and not freak out every time you have to replace a part.

If it's still too light for you to "plow", fill your frame tubes with sand! :D

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
From a Materials Engineer with a phd from a top 3 school who works on hypersonic planes (not me)
"If done right, carbon is better in ALL ways for bikes."

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
From a Materials Engineer with a phd from a top 3 school who works on hypersonic planes (not me)
"If done right, carbon is better in ALL ways for bikes."
From a composites engineer working for a very highly regarded sports materials company,

"Carbon's great for aeroplanes and F1 cars, but I'd never ride a mountainbike made from the stuff."

Everyone has their opinion.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
:stupid:

My first thought when I saw it was ouch rocks, incredible looking bike regardless and awesome to see this kind of development.

I agree with the 'to light' comments, i have been spending a ton of time riding fr/dh on my 30 lb am/fr bike and I just cant hit stuff the same way...I like the 37 lb range (for me personally)...

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Santa cruz is going to loose sales with this.

Then again,people who dont ride their bikes will be all over this.

trully dissapointed.

Dox

Monkey
Aug 26, 2009
Montreal, QC, Canada
:stupid:

My first thought when I saw it was ouch rocks, incredible looking bike regardless and awesome to see this kind of development.

I agree with the 'to light' comments, i have been spending a ton of time riding fr/dh on my 30 lb am/fr bike and I just cant hit stuff the same way...I like the 37 lb range (for me personally)...
I wonder why you cant hit thing the same way on your 30lbs am bike and 37lbs dh bike. Let me think.....

Geometry??
Suspension??

Nooo it too light...

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

trully dissapointed.
I hope that they would offer two version the Aluminum and then the Carbon version so both camps can be happy?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

trully dissapointed.
Care to elaborate on why you feel this way? It is the carbon or something else?

As for the opinions of "experts", for every expert opinion there is another expert who will say the exact opposite. I'm sure I can find experts who will say steel is best, aluminum is best, titanium is best, bamboo is best, balsa wood is the bomb, etc., so take it all with a grain of salt.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
These threads crack me up.

It will break if I look at it wrong!
It will be indestructible!

Just like an aluminium bike it's durability will depend on how well it is designed and manufactured. It might be more durable than current V-10s, it might make the Super-8 look reliable. Time will tell.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Care to elaborate on why you feel this way? It is the carbon or something else?

As for the opinions of "experts", for every expert opinion there is another expert who will say the exact opposite. I'm sure I can find experts who will say steel is best, aluminum is best, titanium is best, bamboo is best, balsa wood is the bomb, etc., so take it all with a grain of salt.

Well for the general public its a bad idea of marketing.however this isn't really made to target the general people either....

so its a yes no situation.

And im sure I dont have to say more you can figure out wat im trying to say.
Its cool and all.

but if I owned a business id focus on making the best product with a lifespan.

Not a carbon frame that will 100% eventualy fail,weather from riding or abuse of rocks and etc.

And since you braught out materials and im going back to school in welding :thumb:

Alu is light,stiff and strong ( wen well designed and selected gauge )
steel is stronger then alu ,yet dents easy and is flexy
Ti is stronger and lighter then the both,yet even flexier then all and probly dents easy.

Alu is stiff and strong......imagine this was carbon.......

I bet you would not be too please allready as is,but imagine the price of a carbon frame and that happened,imagine the outcome.....

its rlly not for everyone and it should be special order reserved with little to no warrenty for competition use only.

Ie making this public=waste of time and money and loss

and edit thats just my 2 cents.
And like westy said,only time will rlly tell.

p.s Ive seen trek xc bikes crack from lateral flex at the bb and stays cause of carbon....imagine a dh rig....

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Thanks for clarifying. You're entitled to your opinion, of course. I will just say that (1) ALL materials "eventually" fail, we've just accepted the lifespan of aluminum; and (2) you will be surprised at how well a properly designed carbon frame can withstand a direct impact. I'm no engineer but I can easily "imagine" the outcome - a lot less damage!

Anyway, skeptics will continue to be skeptics, and only time will tell.

:thumb:

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Hmmm, not sure this is apples to apples thought. They only said it was 900g less than what they raced last year. If that includes the coil shock and this one has the air, that could be a big part of the weight difference. I need to see pix of the old frame weighed with no shock up against the new one with no shock before I swallow this one hook line and sinker. I am not trying to sound like a hater, believe me, I want to believe, but it seems like every year the marketing BS gets thicker and craftier.
Yeah, also the rear end is still alu. 900g is a huge amount to drop off the front triangle alone, i suspect that they have included the weight savings from the shock too.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I really really want one. Provided they look after me if I do kill it, I don't care what it is made of. Looks very clever.