Quantcast

Carbon V10

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Anyone in the 160-175 lb range running a 500# spring in 10" mode? My guesstimate would be a 500# spring for my weight (170 lbs riding weight) to get 31-33% sag...
Comments/suggestions please :D

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Anyone in the 160-175 lb range running a 500# spring in 10" mode? My guesstimate would be a 500# spring for my weight (170 lbs riding weight) to get 31-33% sag...
Comments/suggestions please :D

Hmmm... Im 210 and 500# gets me 33% in 10" mode.. time to rethink that one.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
^ Thanks for the input. Just basing solely on calculators. I got a 400# to get me in that sag range but it came out to be too soft. Now I run that 400 spring in 8.5" and Im at a happy 31%... The Fox and TFTuned spring calcs are off by 75-100 lbs...

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
^ I admit I forgot about that. They still have the -slash- spring rates for 180 lbs. Just wanted to hear actual spring rates used by guys in here. But thanks for the reminder.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
^ Thanks for the input. Just basing solely on calculators. I got a 400# to get me in that sag range but it came out to be too soft. Now I run that 400 spring in 8.5" and Im at a happy 31%... The Fox and TFTuned spring calcs are off by 75-100 lbs...
Keep in mind that spring wieghts are supposedly pretty inaccurate, so maybe mines a 523 and yours a 391.... :D

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i would go 450 if you want to run in 10". i'm 185 and i run 500lb Ti in 10" mode and a 400lb steel in 8.5" mode. i like the feel of ~30% sag over ~40% sag.

i have 2 coil shocks, an RC4 and a Revox backup. i like both better than the Vivid air that came on my frame.

just spent a couple days at mammoth, this bike continues to amaze me. seriously, my only gripe is that the new paint job looks 1230974612543076 more badass than the one i got (which still looks 123459876 more badass than most other bikes). this will be the last DH bike i ever buy.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
^ Thanks. Really loving the Vivid atm... I had experience with an RC4 with my previous bike, and it was amazing too. Kinda hard to find Ti springs for the Vivid. Anyone know where to get one?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
^ Thanks. Really loving the Vivid atm... I had experience with an RC4 with my previous bike, and it was amazing too. Kinda hard to find Ti springs for the Vivid. Anyone know where to get one?
I have a DSP on mine, looking to get the lighter ti spring - hoping it can be found since I got the 1st one 2nd hand.

Im headed to the FS/WTB!!

Last edited:

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
I just put in some fresh grease in the lower link of my V10c, now there's a click/knocking sound when I compress the shock. Anyone else experience this? I have a Vivid Air, and I dont remember ever hearing a knocking sound before. I dunno if the lower link needs to be put to its paces to kinda get all the grease spread evenly. I rechecked all the bolts in the linkages, rear axle, shock bolts and theyre all tight, torqued to spec...

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
Do you happen to have a SRAM type2 rear derailleur? If you do, engage the cage-lock and try compressing the suspension and see if the noise goes away. I ran into the same issue and it turned out to be the clutch on the rear derailleur.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Do you happen to have a SRAM type2 rear derailleur? If you do, engage the cage-lock and try compressing the suspension and see if the noise goes away. I ran into the same issue and it turned out to be the clutch on the rear derailleur.
Dude youre right. And yeah I have an X9 Type 2. It IS the clutch, haha. Sweeeeet :D Thanks again.

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
Nice one.
I am getting a slight click/or movement in the linkages when I gently pull up on the saddle, its like something is lose but everything is tight.
I think there is a bushing thats designed to wear pretty Anyone know about that? Its not a big thing, would like to sort it, if its a wear issue. I guess right now Im too laszy to open it up!

Last edited:
May 30, 2011
Louisville, KY
@Slothy -- Mine was doing the same thing recently. It was one of the bushings on the upper link where it connects to the rear triangle. Every bolt was tight but when I took out the top two bolts on the swing arm I could see it floating around just on the one side.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Check your DU bushings before you do anything else. And to be clear, DU bushings are part of your shock, not the frame.

If your DU bushings are ok, make sure you and your mechanic understand how the pivot axles work (no offense). You can't just check the outer allen bolts and call it good. You need to remove the outer allen bolts and conical expanders before you can adjust the bearing preload.

If your DU bushings are ok and your pivots are properly adjusted, you could need a new bearing in one of your links, but it's usually one of the first two.

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
Nice one.
I am getting a slight click/or movement in the linkages when I gently pull up on the saddle, its like something is lose but everything is tight. I asked a mechanic about it he said that he thinks there is a part designed to wear in the linkages on the v10c. Anyone know about that? Its not a big thing, would like to sort it, if its a wear issue.
All the previous suggestions are good to check first. I have also found a few of the "flip-chips" on the lower link were machined just out of tolerance, which makes the stainless steel chip part contact the shock reducers before the link does. Its not a lot, like .005" of an inch, but the reduced surface area of the chip versus the link can make that SOB hard to get enough bolt torque to keep it from coming loose.

If the sides of your shock reducers are beat up looking, that might be something to look at. If you think that might be the case, PM me, and I'll square you up with some new stuff ASAP.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
What tune Vivid (air or coil) comes on v10c? I had mine pushed, so its all changed and the sticker is gone - but I blew that and Im going to run an 2013 M/M R2C air for the last few weekends.

Wondering if I need the H/H or H/M; Seem to recall mine was an M/M but I digress....

May 30, 2011
Louisville, KY
Has there been any info as to whether or not the Vivid air effects bushing life versus the RC4? It seems like the 3 guys in my area (me included) that are running the Vivid air have had issues with bushing play while everyone that has the coil has not seen any issues and they have way more ride time on the bikes than I do. One of the guys with the coil is 260lbs while the ones running the air are around 175

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Has there been any info as to whether or not the Vivid air effects bushing life versus the RC4? It seems like the 3 guys in my area (me included) that are running the Vivid air have had issues with bushing play while everyone that has the coil has not seen any issues and they have way more ride time on the bikes than I do. One of the guys with the coil is 260lbs while the ones running the air are around 175
Shock bushing? Could be the rockshox bushings are just not up to par with the RC4 bushings?

May 30, 2011
Louisville, KY
It was the upper pivot of the rear triangle on the drive side. When I took it apart it had play in just the one so I swapped it. The other guys just had to tighten there's. May have just been a random bad bushing/bearing on mine since it was only one of them. I just noticed it was only the guys running air shocks and didn't know if for some reason that played a roll in it.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
^ I see. Upper links only need 90 in-lbs, not a lot. Might be a bearing issue. Hope you sort it out. Im a sucker for silent bikes, I address every single issue that has to do with creaking or anything coming loose and whatnot. Having had the X9 Type 2 rear mech makes the bike dead silent. Ok maybe not totally but at least 80% of the time, all I hear are tires...

Orangesicle

Chimp
Feb 16, 2011
I have a new/used 2012 V10.3 or .4 (how can you tell the diff? Serial #?)
Is there a single location for all the torque specs?
I've searched this site and this link and have a few conflicting values.
Thanks peeps.