Quantcast

Carbon V10

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I don't think any Smalls have arrived either. Besides, they have delivered large frames in the form of the complete team replica bikes. Last I heard there are still 2 of those sitting at SC waiting to be snatched up. There's definitely some quirkiness going on in production though. Remember this color? (wanted bad)

It was supposed to be the fourth available color but they said there were problems with the white paint on carbon so no white front end.
The problem with the matte white paint being that EVERY single fingerprint stains the frame. Experience here with a white carbon nomad.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
V10.3 (aluminum) Large
TT 24.8"
CS 17.4"
BB 14.8"
WB
HT 5"
ST 18"
HT* 67*
ST* 57.5* actual, 71* effective

V10c Large
TT 24.3"
CS 17.3"
BB 14.8"
WB 47.1"
HT 4.9"
ST 18.3"
HT* 65*
ST* 57.5* actual 71.5* effective
Reach 16.7"
Stack 22.8"

V10c XL
TT 25.2"
CS 17.3"
BB 14.8"
WB 47.9"
HT 4.9"
ST 18.5"
HT* 65*
ST* 57.5* actual 71.5* effective
Reach 17.6"
Stack 22.8"

The problem with the matte white paint being that EVERY single fingerprint stains the frame. Experience here with a white carbon nomad.
Yeah, the matte finishes on my Mojo SL and Genius LTc (some white on that one) aren't practical. They should have done a gloss white, just like my V10.3, the black/white frame is glossy right?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Ya look at the WB, only 47.9 inches. My xl is a hair over 50. A a large TR450 is 47.5, a Large demo 8 is 47.7, Large legend is 47.3. It seems like more companies are renaming their large an XL and just making the medium and large sizes sort of "inbetweener" sizes. Probably a good deal for 99% of people but not for us freaks :(.
10" 0deg cup / 65ha it's 47.9 (now sit n sag....)

8.5" 0deg cup / 64ha it's 48.1

so, by extension - 63ha (1 deg cup) 8.5 -- ~48.3

Go slacker, get longer. Your XL VPF is 50? Dont you have some massive custom lower link? Or is this some other bike I missed...

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
10" 0deg cup / 65ha it's 47.9 (now sit n sag....)

8.5" 0deg cup / 64ha it's 48.1

so, by extension - 63ha (1 deg cup) 8.5 -- ~48.3

Go slacker, get longer. Your XL VPF is 50? Dont you have some massive custom lower link? Or is this some other bike I missed...
Oh you haven't seen the new bike? (copied from another thread). FB10, roughly 50inch WB. I think its slightly longer in the slackest setting with my current setup.

tom

Chimp
Mar 17, 2011
So did you get your frame, yet? Or anybody else?
The only thing I heard from my shop is "no news from Santa Cruz".

tom

Chimp
Mar 17, 2011
Before, during skiing season I didn't mind at all, but now the bike season is starting and I have to borrow bikes from my friends. This is getting a bit annoying.

TimB.

Chimp
Apr 5, 2011
I agree, I am half wanting to cancel the order and get something like the Intense M9 or 951 but I've been waiting this long and I dont know if that would get me a bike any faster. Where did you ored yours from? Fanatik by chance?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I find it funny that shops cant seem to find info, yet my - non affiliate - naggy - entitled - begging phone calls and emails always get a quick, clear response.

The jibe, it is not there.. Yes mine's an XL, but it only took 2 weeks, and only then because the lines got crossed and they sent a white one 1st...

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I weighed mine at the shop on the weekend 38lbs and change with some not so light parts on it.

I'll report back after this weekends BC cup in Kamloops.

tom

Chimp
Mar 17, 2011
Apparently yes, because my dealer told that my Large is being shipped this night.
So, did you get that bike or was it a false alarm?

They were supposed to have gotten that shipment two weeks ago, yet no one seems to have a large frame, yet.

tom

Chimp
Mar 17, 2011
does this surprise you? sounds like business as usual at SC
Yeah, I guess it does surprise me. :eek:

I never bought a Santa Cruz before, because they are so expensive.
I actually am surprised now that they are both expensive and unprofessional.

And why would they say they got a shipment if they didn't? :confused:

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I actually am surprised now that they are both expensive and unprofessional.

And why would they say they got a shipment if they didn't? :confused:
$2999 for a top tier frame with a Angleset isnt "expensive."

who knows why they said that. bad business practices? did they actually say they got them in or that they were expecting them in?

tom

Chimp
Mar 17, 2011
$2999 for a top tier frame with a Angleset isnt "expensive."
That of course depends on your standards. For $1000 more than the V10 frame you can get a complete bike with OK parts from Giant or Specialized.

This year, I thought I would treat myself to a really nice bike, which unfortunately doesn't really seem to exist.

who knows why they said that. bad business practices? did they actually say they got them in or that they were expecting them in?
I'd think so, too. They said they were expecting them "any day now" or "friday", but that was two weeks ago.

TimB.

Chimp
Apr 5, 2011
I think the question is wether or not the niceness of the bike is worth the poor service. I mean what if you need replacement parts? Will we be waiting four months for those too? I think it is the principal of the whole thing. If the bikes are unavailable then tell the people that so they aren't waiting with baited breath everyday hoping it will arrive. There is a shop with a large Trek 88 in stock. Significant downgrade or just as good?

tom

Chimp
Mar 17, 2011
I think the question is wether or not the niceness of the bike is worth the poor service. I mean what if you need replacement parts? Will we be waiting four months for those too? I think it is the principal of the whole thing. If the bikes are unavailable then tell the people that so they aren't waiting with baited breath everyday hoping it will arrive. There is a shop with a large Trek 88 in stock. Significant downgrade or just as good?
I would guess that as soon as they have production up and running they'll also have spare parts.

I think too that they should just tell the truth. Everything else pisses off the customers.

I would say the Trek is just as good. I guess it is a bit more active, with less travel. It's just as light, but the thin aluminum dents easily.
Apparently for this year they have tuned the shock to work especially well with the frame.

mehukatti

Chimp
Mar 2, 2011
Apparently yes, because my dealer told that my Large is being shipped this night.
I went to my dealer today and it appears that it has NOT been shipped yet. He said that they have the frame, but for whatever reason haven't been able to ship it. A while afterwards he said that maybe the frame just hasn't been assembled yet.

I have my old bike so I'm not in panic, although local bike parks are opening in one or two weeks.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Ive had my frame for >1 month now, but Im still waiting on Hadleys.

Im not usually a 'STFU suck it up guy', but threads where people complain about a vendor not delivering. Whine whine whine... cancel your order or clam up. Vote with your wallet, welcome to capitalism.

I have excellent 10 year history with SC, never took longer than 2 weeks to get any of the 6 frames i bought from them, <1 week for crash replacements (Bullit front triangle I cracked, VPF front triangle I 50/50 a skinny with the downtube). Delays happen across the industry, and aside from my experience, SC *IS* notorius for delivery delays so why do I know that but not others? Act accordingly.

Propaks, free parts, stickers, very responsive to emails.

Whether your dealer likes to be bypassed or not, get on the phone to SC and speak to someone. Scott Turner has ALWAYS hopped to it for me, and Im just some mook spaz.

Last edited:

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
I agree with Huck, take the matter into your own hands. A call or email never hurt anyone.
x3 most guys who work at bike shops are underpaid anyway, they don't care to argue with the manufacturer for YOUR $3000 frame while they make the same wage if they just hang up after hearing "2 more weeks".

Santa Cruz has a phone number, call them. My LBS told me a new replacement swing arm was $500 after they talked to Santa Cruz. I called SC 5 minutes later and was quoted $300. I saved $200 by making 1 phone call to the manufacturer, he still had the part# up on his computer.

I can't imagine how much I'll nag them if I'm ever able to drop $3000 on a frame.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
Bashing santa cruz for delays isnt a santa cruz problem in the bigger picture, its an industry problem. Nearly every brand that i have ever sold working in a number of shops at some point, or always, has delays. hell even the giant that is giant bicycles has delays, We had a team guy waiting on a kitted out sram red bike that giant said would arrive in 10 days, no questions asked, the bike will be in this guys hands in 10 days, 3 months later it arrived. Marin, norco, kona, trek, you name the brand meeting delivery dates is an issue throughout the industry, and people need to be aware of this when buying a bike, from the time the bike leaves the manufacturer (whether it be in taiwan or the us) the frame is changing hands a dozen times and there are situations beyond the control of a company that can hold back delivery times. Call the company like said before, and get stuff straight from the horses mouth, be respectful but demand honesty, any good PR or reps for a company should understand that honesty is the greatest asset of a brand, if they keep spinning you bull ****, please send your business elsewhere because bad people = bad experiences with customer service and warranty.

grooveninja

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
Tetreault has it 100% correct. As someone who had a Turner DHR on order for well over a year before they got recalled, everything you are saying is happening on every popular model. I believe Specialzed id totally sold out of Demo II's, DHR's are slow to get in most cases, and v10's are not available in every size right away. Sounds like the beginning of season with some popular new models if you ask me. If it wasn't popular or in demand you could get it right away.

This is also a way, way bigger scale issue than company X or Y in the little bike industry. If you look at global commodities market over the past two three years. Everyone got burned having tons of material/capacity laying around when the down turn hit that it took them a long time to get rid of. Then demand starts ramping up and companies (carbon, fasteners, aluminum, etc) are not producing as much as they were in the past and business across the board are fighting to get these materials. My brother is a composites engineer for a big aviation company and he was telling me everything from Alu/Ti machined parts to carbon is hard to get ahold of for them and they are ordering hundreds of millions of dollar order per year.

BTW, as someone who's medium v10-c showed up a few weeks ago, very worth the wait! All season when you see someone riding a v10 you will regret not waiting (and this coming from someone who was waiting for a DHR....no regret after riding both bikes). Nothing else out there is close in terms or materials or design right now.

Last edited:

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
For those of you currently on the V10c, how is the sizing working out. Trying to decide between the Medium and Large at 6' 160lbs. Also looking closely at the M9. Coming off of a Revolt. Any thoughts or feedback? Who's ridden all three?

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
I'm 5'8" and very happy on a medium. I've got a 50mm stem and an angleset at .5 degrees slacker, so that sits the bars back a tiny bit in the cockpit. I feel you should be on a large, and weight is irrelevant to sizing. Compensate for your weight with spring rate, height and reach with frame size. Go large.

grooveninja

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
I'm 5'11" and got a medium and happy with it, but could have easily gone up a size to the large. Feels quite similar in size to a large Demo 8.

ronnyg801

Chimp
May 27, 2009
But I want my frame MEOW! I mean I forked over all my allowance and it should have been teleported from the got' damn carbon mold to my house!

One thing to take into some consideration, on the wait is the affect Japan will have on raw goods etc, they are a large source for all kinds of things. I have no clue about carbon/resin etc. but it seems as though every article I read there is some sort of manufacturing or industrial type shortage due to the earthquake/tsunami.

tom

Chimp
Mar 17, 2011
I doubt that much of the materials for the frame come from Japan.

Maybe the shipments have been held up by pirates?

mehukatti

Chimp
Mar 2, 2011
My Large is finally on the way. My dealer has the UPS tracking number of the shipment. I should have it Friday or early next week (I live in Europe).

Last edited:

BrianMac

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
Toronto, Canada
I'm just building my Large. Can't wait to ride it!
Strange. My dealer informed me that SC is saying the frames are stuck in customs coming into California. He had said the SC rep had told him this week for sure and now it's hopefully next week.

Has there been a batch come in and get shipped out? Has anyone else received or got notice? Man I was hoping to have it for the US Open.

Brian