Votes: 18 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I'll admit it, I was the nerdy kid that collected baseball cards in junior high and high school. I was addicted to them.

So I've been away from home for a few years thanks to college and recently came home for Christmas. I hear that my little brother (12) is trading football cards and such with his buddies. I walk by the room and notice him digging cards out of a box that I used to store my card collection in. I look at them, he is trading my cards!

So I confront him, ask him where he got them, he admits they are mine but thought that I wasn't using them any more (of course not, they are my nest egg...geez!). I tell him to put them all back and not touch my card collection again.

So I mention it to my mom. She remembers that recently my brother made a present of a Red Wings card to his P.E. teacher (who used to be my P.E. teacher). She was really excited about it. With good reason, I had one specific Red Wing's card from 1997 that is worth around $200. Turns out he gave it to the butch P.E. teacher for her birthday! This is a card she tried to talk my into trading when I was in 7th grade! Now she finally has it....:mumble:.

So ya, I thought I only had to defend my valuable card collection from garage sale starting mothers. Now I have to guard against my clepto little brother. I think I'm going to go check on my coin collection, make sure he isn't using my 1888 MINT silver dollars to pay for sodas or something.

The Ito

ito

Oct 3, 2003
konabiker said:
I was so down with Pokemon or whatever it was called in like 2nd grade.
Ok, Pokemon sucked. We're talking Frank Thomas, Sammy Sosa rookie cards, Will Clark, Chipper Jones autograph, Griffey rookie cards, other signed pieces, even a Cal Ripken Jr. rookie, all in all a fairly nice collection. Cartoon Japanese crap doesn't even begin to compare to the sluggers and golden gloves I have in my collection.

The Ito

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
ito said:
Ok, Pokemon sucked. We're talking Frank Thomas, Sammy Sosa rookie cards, Will Clark, Chipper Jones autograph, Griffey rookie cards, other signed pieces, even a Cal Ripken Jr. rookie, all in all a fairly nice collection. Cartoon Japanese crap doesn't even begin to compare to the sluggers and golden gloves I have in my collection.

The Ito
Nah dude, my Charmanzard pisses all over those guys.

I used to have basketball cards. I remember I had this Kobe Bryant rookie card that was worth bank.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
konabiker said:
Nah dude, my Charmanzard pisses all over those guys.

I used to have basketball cards. I remember I had this Kobe Bryant rookie card that was worth bank.
Was it his college card or his actual rookie card? Cause I have a college card of him, I wonder what that is worth now....money!

The Ito

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I used to collect basket ball cards, especially Gary Payton (I had a few signed, jersey cards, and rookie cards, around 100 total) and Allen Iverson.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Oh man, those were the good 'ol days. I still have my entire collection of the original Pokemon cards somewhere around here.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I used to find pokemon cards and sell them so I could buy skateboard stuff.

I still have an assload of baseball/basketball cards

I think I have a griffy rookie, as well as a duncan rookie, but it's been days since I've looked

splat

Nam I am
Yeah I used to collect Baseball cards Back in the 70's , when Nobody thought any thing of it . they all got thrown away, didn't even think twice about it then.

Now I look back and Know I had a Pete Rose rookie card. -- O well Say la vie.

ito said:
....of course not, they are my nest egg...geez!.....
if they are that Important and worth that much to you. what are you doing leaving them at home ?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i collected new kids on the block cards when i was younger. i had them all. i think i had duplicates of them all. i wish i still had them.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have a shoe box full of Baseball cards from '78 '79 and '80. They would be worth something If I hadn't abuse the hell out of them when I was a kid.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I used to collect cards when i was a kid. I still have a few boxes of Hockey and comic book cards. I doubt they are worth all that much though.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
laura said:
i collected new kids on the block cards when i was younger. i had them all. i think i had duplicates of them all. i wish i still had them.

Wow that little bit of trivia will be great when VH1 does a Behind the Music for TBBXC.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
ummbikes said:
Wow that little bit of trivia will be great when VH1 does a Behind the Music for TBBXC.

It has already been filmed but a substantial sum has been paid to endure it never airs.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
ito said:
I had one specific Red Wing's card from 1997 that is worth around $200.
:think:

What Red Wings card from '97 was worth $200? Was it some kind of special insert? (it must have been). Red Wings own. :)

My brother and I collected a LOT when we were kids. You name it, we collcted it. Baseball, football, hockey, hoops, movie cards, etc. I stocked up a lot of hockey and football in the mid to late 80's when dealers couldn't give the stuff away. I just liked the cards and bought them because I was a fan. Then the popularity of those sports cards blew up around 1990, and I was sitting pretty. We had literally hundreds of thousands of cards. You name a card from the 70's and 80's and we had it. When I was in college, I worked in a card shop, which made getting my hands on the stuff really easy. Once the price of packs started to get up to $10 a pack for the premium stuff, I lost interest and stopped collecting.

My brother has since sold all of our good stuff on Ebay. I told him whatever he sold, he could keep half the money. He's given me thousands of tax free dollars on sales he's made. :)

My best sale ever was two Michael Jordan rookie card sets (1985-86 Fleer). I paid $12 for a box of packs when they first came out, made two sets and held onto them, then sold them in 1990 for $1000 total. Paid for my first semester of college. Not a bad ROI. :)

My worst purchase ever was a 1984 Topps Traded Dwight Gooden. I paid $80 for it. I think it's worth about a buck now.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I collected hockey cards, and still have a few large boxfulls sitting at my mom's place...

Baseball/basketball cards got put into the spokes.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
i have a crap load of cards from the 80s. mostly from 84 - 90 or so. Last time I went thorugh them, there were some pretty choice cards, cant remember any specifc ones though. I also have a shoebox full of commoners that I havent looked at in probably 15 years. Who knows what kind of cards are in there. I took all of my cards away with me when I moved my crap out of my parents house. My mom threatened to throw everything out. I probably should go through them in the near future to see if I have any Barry Bonds or Ken Griffey cards taht may be worth somethng. When I was young kid, just getting started out, I used to rip through all the packs I bought to take all the Yankee cards out, keep them and give the rest to my cousin. I must have given him hundreds of awesome cards.
My favorite card isnt that expensive or valuable, but its cool to me:

The infamous Billy Ripken "F- Face" card is displayed in a plastic case on my fridge

:D

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
luken8r said:
The infamous Billy Ripken "F- Face" card is displayed in a plastic case on my fridge

:D
Heh heh...nice addition. :D

Remember the William "Refrigerator" Perry rookies from the 1985 (I think) Pro Set football? I sold three when they were worth $100. I think they're like a quarter now. :D

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
ito said:
Was it his college card or his actual rookie card? Cause I have a college card of him, I wonder what that is worth now....money!

The Ito
Kobe never went to college, so he wouldn't have a college card.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
CHOP said:
Kobe never went to college, so he wouldn't have a college card.
It was probably some kind of draft pick set that showed him in his high school uniform. There were a few companies that made sets of potential draft picks before the players went pro. "Classic" is one company that comes to mind.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i collected all kinds of cards. still have a ton of football, baseball, college, and comic cards. i'd buy comic cards by the box hoping to get particular special cards. i remember Marvel Flairs were the **** for a while. as were Fleer Flairs (baseball). i have the Flair rookie insert set from Mike Piazza's rookie year. at one time, they were worth a good deal of money. not sure if they're worth the super thick stock they're on now, though. i might go through them all afterwhile, now that i'm curious.

i remember holograms were my weakness. i didn't care what the cards were, if there was a possible hologram, i'd buy the cards. i've got a bunch framed hanging in my room.

i also have some Magic: Ice Age cards. i bought those simply to get special/ rare cards to sell later on.