Quantcast

cardio question

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
does anyone have any idea for a good cardio work out... and by this I mean, working out a certain heart rate for a what periods of time... gradually stepping up, etc... to the point that you tapper the week before a race, and peak for the race?

i'm doing spin classes, and busting butt at every class... but I've heard that this may not be the best approach, as the body can't sustain that level of intenisty for that many weeks (leading up to the race)

(hope that all made some sense?)

anyone? :help:

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
What kind of racing? My buddy is training pretty hard for next season, and I know he peppers his week with rides of varying intensities, and then off days where he lifts.

My wife is thinking of racing a bit next spring, and we've been wondering the same thing. She mixes it up with spinning, Bodypump classes, weights, pilates, and soon (hopefully) actual saddle time...once the weather turns better, I'd say interval training is probably the way she'll go.

Keep us posted what you come up with and how it works for you.

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
I race DH.

I usually do an hour to hour and a half on the spin bikes, alternating climbing (standing and seated) and fast pace seated/sprinting.

the music I use is set up to alternate up and down. and I usually top my heart rate out at 170-177 (my max heart rate is 192). when I'm seated and lighter tension so as it's not a slow climb, it'll drop between 142-146. when I'm not really working too hard at all, resting for a bit, it'll drop to the high 130's.

my average HR for the duration of the work outs is anywhere from 142-148 (depending no how long the work out)... longer work outs I dont' push as much on the climbing, meaning I don't do as many hard climbs.

and keeping cadence to the music I'll maintain those given HR's for the duration of the given song... anywhere from 3.5 - 6 minutes.

I guess I'm just wondering if I need to put more structure and thought into it, and build up over a period of time rather than bust a$$ each night?

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
Originally posted by Snacks
Are you doing any cross training?
meaning?

I'm lifting three days a week. no other cardio, other than maybe a day here or there walking on the tread mill. I don't run, screws up my ankles. I dont' have a bike to go out and ride, thus i spin.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by DHRacer
meaning?

I'm lifting three days a week. no other cardio, other than maybe a day here or there walking on the tread mill. I don't run, screws up my ankles. I dont' have a bike to go out and ride, thus i spin.

Like other cardio....so you can't run. You should try those elipitcal(sp) things at the gym. Kevin and I do sprint training on them because he can't run either. Or do the stairs, just walk them two at a time really fast. Swimming works really well too.

It sounds like the spin class works you really hard which is good, but you need to mix it up a little. I run 7+ miles a day 9mph, and it's a work out...but I get more of a work out from the things I don't do regularly.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Yes, to do it the "right" way, you need to have some periodization. Don't let this term alarm you, it has nothing to do with a menstrual cycle.

I will suggest a book to help you. You can do this on your own (build a schedule), or hire a coach to do it for you.

mountain biker training bible

In a nutshell, you are correct, you can't just go bust ass everynight. That actually could be prohibiting you from gaining fitness - sounds weird, huh.

Originally posted by Heidi
Yes, to do it the "right" way, you need to have some periodization. Don't let this term alarm you, it has nothing to do with a menstrual cycle.

I will suggest a book to help you. You can do this on your own (build a schedule), or hire a coach to do it for you.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2TWUEQ709X&isbn=1884737714&itm=1

In a nutshell, you are correct, you can't just go bust ass everynight. That actually could be prohibiting you from gaining fitness - sounds weird, huh.
I think I'm going to make a sticky with this book and the Sally Edwards one.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
Instead of going to the B&N Link, support the :monkey: and use the Amazon search on the main page.:thumb:

The book looks good though, I am going to order it.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
Wouldn't be a bad idea, they are both great resources.:thumb:

And no, I am not getting paid from them to say that. But, have you looked at those Dean titanium ACE's? Wow, nice bikes!:D

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001

mountain biker training bible

no, doesn't sound weird at all... makes perfect sense. Thanks Heidi, for the book reference.

and thanks all for the great info.

Snacks, I'll give the elliptical's a try, thanks!

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
talked to one of the trainers at my gym, and they're going to set me up on a plan... he's a Pro cyclist, so, i'm looking forward to it.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
talked to one of the trainers at my gym, and they're going to set me up on a plan... he's a Pro cyclist, so, i'm looking forward to it.
Be careful of those pro cyclists, they can't be trusted.:p

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I too like the elliptical's. I do it on my weight days.
They are my fav when I need to give my joints a rest from soccer and running......no impact and if you us the ones with the arms you can really get going! :)

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
well... i've decided to hire a coach.

hopefully it will reap the results I want.

anyone have any tips for things to ask or points to make known going into this?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
well... i've decided to hire a coach.

hopefully it will reap the results I want.

anyone have any tips for things to ask or points to make known going into this?
As a coach my bit of advice is;
1. make sure that the fella you are working with understands the demands of your sport.

2. Have defined goals going into the relationship, both outcome and performance oriented.

3. Communicate non-stop. Keep a consistent log and make sure the coach evaluates it regularly.

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
Originally posted by SuspectDevice
As a coach my bit of advice is;
1. make sure that the fella you are working with understands the demands of your sport.

2. Have defined goals going into the relationship, both outcome and performance oriented.

3. Communicate non-stop. Keep a consistent log and make sure the coach evaluates it regularly.

will do, thanks for the advice!

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
Originally posted by Fury
Rowing at the gym is a great cross training exercise. Upper body and lower body all in one. Try doing intervals on one of them.
you know, I tried doing that, but because of my shoulders (at the time) it was causing a lot of pain.... but i've been doing a lot shoulder PT and strengthening... so I'll ask him about that.

thanks!